97 SCII water pump -- replacement thumbnail sketch ?

Old June 24th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default 97 SCII water pump -- replacement thumbnail sketch ?

My daughters 97 SCII (DHOC) is leaking some antifreeze and I suspect it's
the water pump (original, 155K miles). I've replaced a number of water
pumps in the last 50 years but this one looks it could be a pain because
of clearances.
Could someone give me the basics of replacement? Anyone know typical shop
charge? Tnx Jim H.

Old June 24th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:28:18 -0400, "jimhigh66" >
wrote:

>My daughters 97 SCII (DHOC) is leaking some antifreeze and I suspect it's
>the water pump (original, 155K miles). I've replaced a number of water
>pumps in the last 50 years but this one looks it could be a pain because
>of clearances.
>Could someone give me the basics of replacement? Anyone know typical shop
>charge? Tnx Jim H.

I looked it over in my GM dealer manual and it does not look to
hatefull if you are so inclined. Basically drain coolant, jack up
vehicle and remove right front tire and then remove splash shields to
access the side of the engine were pump it at and it should come out
pretty easy after obtaining acces to it and removing the drive belt.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old June 24th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Thanks SnoMan. I'm not inclined but I might do it anyway. I was afraid I
might have to remove the motor mount.
( She's a social worker plus she has college loans to repay so she doesn't
have a lot of money.)
Jim H.

Old June 24th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:27:33 -0400, "jimhigh66" >
wrote:

>Thanks SnoMan. I'm not inclined but I might do it anyway. I was afraid I
>might have to remove the motor mount.
>( She's a social worker plus she has college loans to repay so she doesn't
>have a lot of money.)
>Jim H.

I just put a pump on my '96 SL, here is what I posted last week;

I was able to do the whole job from the top. I pulled the coolant
tank, window washer tank, and disconected two coolant hoses and folded
them out of the way. also pulled the A/C compressor out of the
mounting brackets and set it out of the way, but left the brackets in
place.

I almost couldn't get the three bolts off the water pump pulley, but
then remembered the old trick of wedging a flat bar on the two other
bolt heads to pull against. Also had to use 6 point sockets (the hex
heads seem kinda sloppy) and just the right amount of extension to get
to the pump bolts but still clear the chassis.

Larry

Old June 24th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:37:30 -0700, Larry > wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:27:33 -0400, "jimhigh66" >
>wrote:
>
>>Thanks SnoMan. I'm not inclined but I might do it anyway. I was afraid I
>>might have to remove the motor mount.
>>( She's a social worker plus she has college loans to repay so she doesn't
>>have a lot of money.)
>>Jim H.

> I just put a pump on my '96 SL, here is what I posted last week;
>
> I was able to do the whole job from the top. I pulled the coolant
>tank, window washer tank, and disconected two coolant hoses and folded
>them out of the way. also pulled the A/C compressor out of the
>mounting brackets and set it out of the way, but left the brackets in
>place.
>
>I almost couldn't get the three bolts off the water pump pulley, but
>then remembered the old trick of wedging a flat bar on the two other
>bolt heads to pull against. Also had to use 6 point sockets (the hex
>heads seem kinda sloppy) and just the right amount of extension to get
>to the pump bolts but still clear the chassis.
>

>Larry

You could do it from the top but if you jack it up and remove wheel
and splash shieds it would be a lot easier. My daughter has a 97 SC2
and after looking at it I agree with tthis method as being the best
one.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old June 25th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Thanks Larry & SnoMan, for the extra information. I've looked at it again
and I think I'll wait until we get some estimates to have it done by a
mechanic. I assume the belt tension pully is spring loaded and I don't
have a box end long enough to get on the bolt head and not room for a
socket -- if that's the way to relieve the pressure (I should have the
book). And, at almost 68, I get discouraged easier on these jobs. Tnx
again. Jim H.

Old June 25th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:47:40 -0400, "jimhigh66" >
wrote:

>Thanks Larry & SnoMan, for the extra information. I've looked at it again
>and I think I'll wait until we get some estimates to have it done by a
>mechanic. I assume the belt tension pully is spring loaded and I don't
>have a box end long enough to get on the bolt head and not room for a
>socket -- if that's the way to relieve the pressure (I should have the
>book). And, at almost 68, I get discouraged easier on these jobs. Tnx
>again. Jim H.

I understand but you might pick up a wrench at a tool store of harbor
frieght even if you do not do the job and keep it in the car with a
extra used belt so that if one ever snaps on you you can easily
replace it if need be. (better than walking)
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com

E34 water pump Alex BMW 1 November 24th 04 11:20 PM
water pump on 1999 A4 Buying a Used Audi Audi 4 November 10th 04 08:05 AM
Preventative Water Pump Replacement on 1.8T Engine? Don Borowski Audi 3 June 14th 04 03:49 PM
'97 Audi A6 water pump replacement rong Audi 1 May 27th 04 05:35 PM