For Your Amusement...

Old June 19th 05, 12:05 AM
Nearly Normal Jimmy

Default For Your Amusement...

Iowa City Police Ticket Man for Going 75 MPH Over Speed Limit
Friday, June 17, 2005, 8:44:36 PM

(Iowa City * KCRG) -- If you're driving five miles per hour over the
speed limit, you probably won't get a ticket. But 75 miles per hour
over the limit is a different matter.

Iowa City Police say that was the case Thursday afternoon with
22-year-old Levi Angel of Wellman. They clocked Angel going 112 in a 35
miles per hour zone.

Police say the Angel claimed he was arguing in the car with his wife.
Court records show two children were also in the car.

Angel faces charges of child endangerment, speeding, and reckless
driving.

Copyright CRTV Company
Old June 19th 05, 08:39 PM
Dave

"Nearly Normal Jimmy" > wrote in message
> Iowa City Police Ticket Man for Going 75 MPH Over Speed Limit
> Friday, June 17, 2005, 8:44:36 PM
>

> (Iowa City * KCRG) -- If you're driving five miles per hour over the
> speed limit, you probably won't get a ticket. But 75 miles per hour
> over the limit is a different matter.
>
> Iowa City Police say that was the case Thursday afternoon with
> 22-year-old Levi Angel of Wellman. They clocked Angel going 112 in a 35
> miles per hour zone.
>
> Police say the Angel claimed he was arguing in the car with his wife.
> Court records show two children were also in the car.
>
> Angel faces charges of child endangerment, speeding, and reckless
> driving.
>
> Copyright CRTV Company

Going that fast, how did they catch him? I guess he was distracted by
arguing with his wife and forgot to make a few turns when he was out of
sight?

I KNOW I'll be flamed for this, but I believe the only charge that should
stick is speeding. After all, there's not enough details here to determine
if the conduct was reckless or endangered children. Is 112MPH reckless all
by itself? Even in a 35MPH zone? Are children endangered if they travel
safely from one point to another at 112MPH? (I'll bet some children of
Nascar drivers have broken 200MPH before they entered middle school, ha ha)
Flame away. -Dave

Old June 21st 05, 11:23 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> Is 112MPH reckless all by itself?
> Even in a 35MPH zone?

IMHO, always. It implicitly breaks one of the infra-rules of driving
(and most other public conduct): don't take large risks of maiming or
killing innocent bystanders who didn't sign up for your idea of fun.

> Are children endangered if they travel
> safely from one point to another at 112MPH?

These were not being driven safely. Not even close. They were,
allegedly, being driven at 112 in a 35 zone by someone in a distraught
emotional state (never mind his unstated, but probably decidedly less
than race-ready, skill and equipment).

If he really did what the original poster described, I'm glad the cops
hauled him over before he punched out a phone pole and launched his
family through the windshield or knocked a baby buggy out of the
crosswalk so hard it landed in Nebraska. Hell, he's lucky he didn't
get dragged out of the car by the SWAT team after the cops jumped to
the conclusion that somebody driving like that must be a fleeing felon
with hostages.

All in all it sounds like exactly what we have cops for: protecting
those of us just trying to go about our business from getting mowed
down by maniacs.

--Joe