AWD operation question

Old March 19th 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vic Klein

Default AWD operation question

I've driven a '97 Explorer with Control Trak for years. It works well and I
especially appreciate the ability to lock the transfer case in poor
conditions providing an immediate improvement in traction without waiting
for a wheel to slip.

Our new (to us) '08 V8-AWD Mountaineer has a less accessible function
reached through the info center that reads AWD Locked or Unlocked. Just what
does that do? Is that a way to lock the transfer case? Neither the owner's
manual nor the shop manual provide any enlightenment on this.

=Vic=

Old March 19th 10, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

If it's the "Intelligent 4WD system" then it doesn't have a mechanical lock
according to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Trac

That setting sounds like it tells the computer to lock it though, not sure
if that is equivalent though (maybe your delser knows?).

Note your 97 Ford had the original "Control-Trak" system with an
electromagnetic clutch that could be locked. Your new AWD system uses a
viscous coupling unit.

--
Allan Williams