Rattling noise

Old June 26th 05, 06:49 AM
i_got_em

Default Rattling noise

I have a 91 honda accord EX, makes rattling noise when the car is
slowing down, like when i take my foot off the gas. There is no noise
during acceleration and idle. Can anyone help me with this???. The
noise is a metallica rattle coming from somewhere in the front half of
the car, but i could be wrong about that.

Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
Eddie

--
i_got_em
i_got_em's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=2680

Old June 26th 05, 02:32 PM
S.S.

i_got_em wrote:

> I have a 91 honda accord EX, makes rattling noise when the car is
> slowing down, like when i take my foot off the gas. There is no noise
> during acceleration and idle. Can anyone help me with this???. The
> noise is a metallica rattle coming from somewhere in the front half of
> the car, but i could be wrong about that.
>
> Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
> Eddie

This happened recently with my '93 Accord. The catalytic converter heat
shield is loose or rusted. Just remove it and leave it off.
Old June 26th 05, 03:07 PM
butch burton

Yes it probably is the heat shield. Go to a big box store and find
some solid aluminum wire - say 12 gauge and then jack her up when she
is cold - use jack stands to protect you from getting crushed - whack
the exhaust pipe - heat shields till you find the rattle - wrap some
wire around the rattling heat shield and twist it tight.

Removing the heat shield will work but it increases the danger of fire
from parking over dry grass or leaves - not a smart thing to do even
with an intact heat shield.

Old June 27th 05, 07:36 AM
i_got_em

Hi Guys:

thanks for your replies. I just wanted to make sure that in your 93
honda case, did u hear the noise all the time or only when the car was
decelerating ??.

Thanks.

Old June 27th 05, 02:20 PM
S.S.

i_got_em wrote:

> Hi Guys:
>
> thanks for your replies. I just wanted to make sure that in your 93
> honda case, did u hear the noise all the time or only when the car was
> decelerating ??.
>
> Thanks.

In my case, I heard it when I decelerated and sometimes when idling. I
don't think it rattled as often (if at all) when the car was moving.
Old June 30th 05, 09:58 AM
josh

I have been continually exposed to many hondas and it has been the same
story since the late 80s. Rusted/broken heat shields. Easiest fix is to
just remove it and be extra sure not to park over highly cumbusable
materials!

It is evan likely you scooped up a pebble or two in a rocky drive maybe?