Toyota Pre Runner or Ford Ranger

Old January 27th 05, 05:24 AM
Marc

Default Toyota Pre Runner or Ford Ranger

I'm looking at buying a used truck to haul a couple bikes out to the desert
and am down to 2. Anyone got any comments or comparisons between these 2. I
am looking to get either, with the extended cab and 2wd, probably 2001 or
earlier.

Thanks

Old January 27th 05, 10:12 PM
Kerouac

Toyota vs. Ford? That's a no brainer. Check "Consumer Reports Buyers Guide".
The Toyota is what you want.

Old January 29th 05, 04:17 AM
zonie

I have 2 Pre-Runners 98 4cyl and 2000 V-6 both have have been excellent
trucks. Would buy another again without question. Be ready to pay more for
a Toyota, they are worth it

Old January 29th 05, 05:19 AM

as the others said: Toys are amongst the best trucks.

Just make sure they are big enough and carry enough, the ford maybe a
little bigger.

Also is the Toy motor big enough? I think ford has more, v8?

I have a 10 year old 4Runner which only goes offroad and has now 240000
km, runs strong and the only thing that has broken so far was the
starter.
(I wont get into the rear window design though

Matt

Old February 4th 05, 04:39 AM
Lon

Marc proclaimed:

> I'm looking at buying a used truck to haul a couple bikes out to the desert
> and am down to 2. Anyone got any comments or comparisons between these 2. I
> am looking to get either, with the extended cab and 2wd, probably 2001 or
> earlier.

The Toyota is a very good truck. The problem is that you will pay
through the nose for a used one in any sort of condition. For much
less money you should be able to pick up a Ford Ranger. As for
actual reliability it would be nice if the Toyota were as much more
reliable as it is claimed to be...

Old February 4th 05, 09:00 PM
Kerouac

"Lon" > wrote in message
> Marc proclaimed:
>
>> I'm looking at buying a used truck to haul a couple bikes out to the
>> desert
>> and am down to 2. Anyone got any comments or comparisons between these 2.
>> am looking to get either, with the extended cab and 2wd, probably 2001 or
>> earlier.

> The Toyota is a very good truck. The problem is that you will pay
> through the nose for a used one in any sort of condition. For much
> less money you should be able to pick up a Ford Ranger. As for
> actual reliability it would be nice if the Toyota were as much more
> reliable as it is claimed to be...

Look in Consumer Reports "Buyers Guide". I don't think there's a
question of reliability. Especially comparing it to a Ford Ranger. For
dependability, Ford is about as low as you can go. I worked in a Ford
dealership service dept. I would NEVER buy a vehicle from this company. As
for paying through the nose for a used Toyota, you get what you pay for.
Resale is high because the longevity is greater. Period. How many Fords do
you see with 300,000 miles on 'em? Hell, as far as that goes, 200,000?

Incidentally, I'm an extremely satisfied Nissan owner (on my fourth one).

Old February 7th 05, 02:03 PM
C. E. White

Kerouac wrote:

> "Lon" > wrote in message
> > Marc proclaimed:
> >
> >> I'm looking at buying a used truck to haul a couple bikes out to the
> >> desert
> >> and am down to 2. Anyone got any comments or comparisons between these 2.
> >> am looking to get either, with the extended cab and 2wd, probably 2001 or
> >> earlier.

> > The Toyota is a very good truck. The problem is that you will pay
> > through the nose for a used one in any sort of condition. For much
> > less money you should be able to pick up a Ford Ranger. As for
> > actual reliability it would be nice if the Toyota were as much more
> > reliable as it is claimed to be...
> >

> Look in Consumer Reports "Buyers Guide". I don't think there's a
> question of reliability. Especially comparing it to a Ford Ranger. For
> dependability, Ford is about as low as you can go. I worked in a Ford
> dealership service dept. I would NEVER buy a vehicle from this company. As
> for paying through the nose for a used Toyota, you get what you pay for.
> Resale is high because the longevity is greater. Period. How many Fords do
> you see with 300,000 miles on 'em? Hell, as far as that goes, 200,000?

My Father has owned a total of 5 Rangers - 83, 86, 89, 92,
99. The '83 was a 4 cylinder "S" Model that didn't even have
power brakes. It never gave us a problem but without A/C it
had to go. The '86 was a 2.9L 6 cylinder model. It was
great. Only problem in around 100k miles was one ignition
module. It ended it's life under a tree that fell on it. The
'89 was another 2.9L 6 cylinder model. Never had a problem,
but was traded for a extended cab model. The '92 was a 3.0L
6 cylinder. Never had a significant problem. Dad decide he
wanted a 4WD vehicle so he sold the '92 to another local. He
replaced it with a 4.0L 4WD 4 Door Extended Cab. We still
have this. I think over the 23 years of Ranger ownership the
total amount spent on mechanical repairs is less than $500
(one ignition module, one muffler, one water pump are all
the repairs I recall). One friend has a Toyota Tacoma - he
spent more on repairs for that truck last year, than all our
Rangers combined.

And as for Consumer Reports - even though I don't trust
their ratings - They give the Ranger good marks. It has a
"check mark" for reliability for every year since 1997 (that
is as far back as thier rating go).

Ed
Old February 8th 05, 03:24 AM
Lon

Kerouac proclaimed:

> "Lon" > wrote in message
>
>>Marc proclaimed:
>>

>>>I'm looking at buying a used truck to haul a couple bikes out to the
>>>desert
>>>and am down to 2. Anyone got any comments or comparisons between these 2.
>>>am looking to get either, with the extended cab and 2wd, probably 2001 or
>>>earlier.

>> The Toyota is a very good truck. The problem is that you will pay
>> through the nose for a used one in any sort of condition. For much
>> less money you should be able to pick up a Ford Ranger. As for
>> actual reliability it would be nice if the Toyota were as much more
>> reliable as it is claimed to be...
>>

> Look in Consumer Reports "Buyers Guide". I don't think there's a
> question of reliability. Especially comparing it to a Ford Ranger. For
> dependability, Ford is about as low as you can go. I worked in a Ford
> dealership service dept. I would NEVER buy a vehicle from this company. As
> for paying through the nose for a used Toyota, you get what you pay for.
> Resale is high because the longevity is greater. Period. How many Fords do
> you see with 300,000 miles on 'em? Hell, as far as that goes, 200,000?
>
> Incidentally, I'm an extremely satisfied Nissan owner (on my fourth one).

There is nothing wrong with the Toyota, other than that used ones are
typically sold for a premium. A premium that could cover repairs on
a Ford Ranger *if* needed. As for Consumer Reports, never seen that
magazine get anything right in its life other than Bose blows.