93 JGC passenger side front hub ?

Old July 19th 05, 04:31 AM
Ron Croonenberg

Default 93 JGC passenger side front hub ?

Hello,

I have a 93 JGC (5 speed manual, commandtrac transfer case).

A winshieldwiper came loose and I had to stop in a ditch. i put the car
in 4wd and got out of the ditch, but I heard a slight 'snap" thought it
was the front wheel (paasenger side) throwing a rock.

When I wa on the road agin, I hear a grinding sound, like your your
grinding gears in an old pickup truck at low rpms.

When I put the JGC in 4wd the grinding sound goes away and it seems that
everything is ok. However it is not in 4wd it seems.

Does that mean that the hub on the passenger side is broken ?
Is that easy to fix ? (are the parts expensive ??)

I know that I might be kinda vague, just trying to find out if it is
relatively easy to fix and if it is worth the troble (it is a 93 with
215k mles)

other then that the car drives ok.

Ron
Old July 19th 05, 01:01 PM
Mike Romain

I would be inspecting the axle out there closely. You could be
describing a snapped u-joint.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 19th 05, 01:21 PM
Ron Croonenberg

Hi Mike,

I would be able to see the u-joint by looking next to the wheel without
having to take "everything" apart and see if the u-joint has snapped ?

Ron

Old July 19th 05, 03:41 PM
Earle Horton

This model sports a vacuum motor disconnect for the front passenger side
axle. The motor or the splined sleeve could have been damaged during your
trip through the ditch. The u-joint is visible from the outside.

Earle

Old July 19th 05, 04:43 PM
Mike Romain

Yes, if you cut your wheels to the side you can see the joints.

Mike

Old July 20th 05, 04:16 AM
Ron Croonenberg

I looked at them. seems like those are ok.

So does that mean it is either the axle itself ? or the hub ?

Ron

Old July 20th 05, 04:17 AM
Ron Croonenberg

thanks for the reply.

well.. when I put the transfercase in 4hi, the grinding sound goes
away (but no 4wd) when in 2Hi, the grining sound happens.

Ron

Old July 20th 05, 01:21 PM
Mike Romain

You are still describing something blown. Do you have a vacuum
disconnect on the front axle? If yes, I would be looking there, then I
would be looking at the driveshaft itself for something blown.

Mike

Old July 26th 05, 04:19 PM
Ron Croonenberg

Ok, I took the whole thing apart.

On the driver side, the splines in the inside yoke are sripped (and the
splines on the shaft are damaged). (That's where the grinding noise and
"flapping sounds" came from I guess) So it looks like I need the
complete assembly shaft U-joint etc.

I looked around in parts stores, but they seem to carry the CV joint
style axle assembly's only.

Any idea where I might find one ? (used/salvaged one is ok too).
(The dealer wants an arm, a leg and my first born child for that one)

The cv-shaft ones cost approx $100 in partstores and they don't carry
the U-joint ones. The dealer has the axle assembly for $600

any tips and pointers are appreciated,

Ron

Old July 26th 05, 07:27 PM
Earle Horton

If this is Command Trac then I'll bet it has the same axles and parts as a
Wrangler or Cherokee. If you go back and say "My Wrangler axle is messed
up", then I'll bet the parts are cheaper. If not, after market parts exist,
such as those available at http://www.4wd.com, some of them upgrades.