Are the Alfa 156 any good?

Old August 20th 04, 09:36 AM
T.

Laurence wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I know this is possibly the wrong place to ask, but I am considering
> getting an 01/02 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD. But am hearing mixed reports about
> the reliability of the car and how well it is put together. Now the
> question is are these concerns justified?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Alfa's and Fiat's are cars that, generally speaking, are simply more
sensitive to poor maintenace. Maintain it properly and it'll be fine.

Get the JTD. It's a brilliant car. Lots of pulling power (as in torque
) and about 60mpg if you try :-)

T.
Old August 20th 04, 10:00 AM
Simon C

"T." wrote in message

> Get the JTD. It's a brilliant car. Lots of pulling power (as in torque
> ) and about 60mpg if you try :-)

I agree on the torque, but bloody hell, that's a hell of a lot of trying to
get 60mpg. On a very good run (motorway and good A roads) I'll get 44-46mpg.

If I'm going downhill in 5th with my foot off the accelerator it'll register
141.5mpg...now that's good!!!

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
To reply: remove nospam. from the address

Old August 20th 04, 10:50 AM
Pete

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:54:21 GMT, Zathras
>, wrote:

>Note that main dealer servicing may well start at about 300UKP for any
>service.

It may. It rather depends upon what you have damaged between services.
I have receipts for Alfa GB main dealer services for under 150 quid.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old August 20th 04, 10:08 PM
Pete

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:28:02 GMT, Zathras
>, wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:50:17 +0100, > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:54:21 GMT, Zathras
>, wrote:
>>
>>>Note that main dealer servicing may well start at about 300UKP for any
>>>service.

>>It may. It rather depends upon what you have damaged between services.
>>I have receipts for Alfa GB main dealer services for under 150 quid.

>..but not for a 2.4JTD I suspect?

Ah! A very true point. Our TSparks would not like oiling <G>

Pete

Old August 20th 04, 10:28 PM
Zathras

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:50:17 +0100, > wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:54:21 GMT, Zathras
>, wrote:
>
>>Note that main dealer servicing may well start at about 300UKP for any
>>service.

>It may. It rather depends upon what you have damaged between services.
>I have receipts for Alfa GB main dealer services for under 150 quid.

...but not for a 2.4JTD I suspect?

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old August 20th 04, 10:35 PM
Zathras

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:36:17 +0100, "T." >
wrote:

>Laurence wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I know this is possibly the wrong place to ask, but I am considering
>> getting an 01/02 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD. But am hearing mixed reports about
>> the reliability of the car and how well it is put together. Now the
>> question is are these concerns justified?
>>

>I've said it before, and I'll say it again...
>
>Alfa's and Fiat's are cars that, generally speaking, are simply more
>sensitive to poor maintenace. Maintain it properly and it'll be fine.
>
>Get the JTD. It's a brilliant car. Lots of pulling power (as in torque
>) and about 60mpg if you try :-)

...NO WAY on a 2.4JTD!

a/ Nobody has that kind of patience
b/ Mid to upper 40s is a more achievable figure

In over 3 years, my average is 41mpg. Even during the fuel crisis,
when I used tremendous delicacy in driving, I never got particularly
close to 50mpg. Some have..but 60 mpg..nope, sorry!

Old August 21st 04, 05:10 PM
T.

Simon C wrote:

> I agree on the torque, but bloody hell, that's a hell of a lot of trying to
> get 60mpg. On a very good run (motorway and good A roads) I'll get 44-46mpg.

OK! I've done my maths wrong.

In modern metric terms it's basically 600 miles to a full tank. What's
that in mpg then? ;-)

T.
Old August 21st 04, 10:36 PM
Zathras

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:10:26 +0100, "T." >
wrote:

>Simon C wrote:
>>

>> I agree on the torque, but bloody hell, that's a hell of a lot of trying to
>> get 60mpg. On a very good run (motorway and good A roads) I'll get 44-46mpg.
>>

>OK! I've done my maths wrong.
>
>In modern metric terms it's basically 600 miles to a full tank. What's
>that in mpg then? ;-)

Probably upper 40s!

Old August 23rd 04, 11:12 AM
Martin

I have seen 60 mpg (according to the computer) on a couple of occaisions in
my 2.4JTD SW (2004 multijet). Both were on about 30-40 mile runs at around
40-50mph (B road and some dual carraigeway). Admittedly, I was trying to
see how good I could get it (without switching the aircon off!). Actually
the computer recorded 59.9 both times - never seen it higher, not sure if
this is a limit of the computer?

Generally, I get around 50mpg, or 42 if i'm pushing it. If I just go out
for a real blast and come home again (ie no normal driving!) I get around
38mpg.

Regards,

Martin.

156 2.4 JTD SW Veloce (2004)

Old August 23rd 04, 11:20 AM
Simon C

"Martin" wrote in message

> Generally, I get around 50mpg, or 42 if i'm pushing it. If I just go out
> for a real blast and come home again (ie no normal driving!) I get around
> 38mpg.

Are you driving the new Mjet or the normal JTD?

42 - 44 mpg is a good run for me in the standard JTD.

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)

Ferrari / Alfa news Alfistagj Alfa Romeo 6 August 10th 04 03:31 PM
alfa gt vs alfa 147 suspension Pete Alfa Romeo 1 July 17th 04 08:09 PM
Alfa Speedometer rob Alfa Romeo 1 June 4th 04 09:48 PM
Light at the end of the tunnel for UK Alfa drivers?? Alfistagj Alfa Romeo 0 May 22nd 04 11:08 AM
Giulietta e Nuova 147 Plug-in Bourne Alfa Romeo 0 May 13th 04 01:16 PM