Go with the flow = wrong!

Old January 29th 05, 01:53 AM
ChrisCoaster

That's the problem John, American driving style, and just about
everything else American, reeks of "Mefirstism" IMO that is more
dangerous than either Conservatism or Liberalism. Americans think
they're in a freakin' RACE when they drive. That's why they do stupid
things on the road, like try to fit too much car into no space when
lane merging. Or tailgating because they *perceive* the driver in
front of them is going *too slow* for their tastes.

Well, THIS American will get there first, because I drove slow enough
to avoid running into the back of that SUV, like that Toyota just did.
Because I drove slow enough to properly negotiate an off-ramp, unlike
that Buick - which is now laying on it's side on the embankment.
Because I regulated my speed enough to reach the intersection just as
the lights turned green, and not try to run the previous read, as did
that SAAB, who will now be late to work because a cop is performing his
duty with him. Because I didn't feel the need to HAVE to be in front
of that minivan, which is now involved in a wreck with the Ford who
merged in front of it too soon, clipping the van's nose!

Moral: Leave earlier and slow the %# down - you'll get there sooner!
-CC

Old January 29th 05, 05:35 PM
John David Galt

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> That's the problem John, American driving style, and just about
> everything else American, reeks of "Mefirstism" IMO that is more
> dangerous than either Conservatism or Liberalism.

On the contrary. If everyone on the road were in a hurry, or at least
had the sense to drive as if they were even when they're not, traffic
would move fast and there wouldn't be a problem. What creates conflict
and problems is the people whose attitude is "relax, I'm not in a hurry
and you shouldn't be either". They waste everybody's time and so have
no right to be there.

> Americans think they're in a freakin' RACE when they drive.

Not at all. We're just out to avoid wasting time, and that means not
ever letting anyone who may be one of those "relaxed" (= "sloth")
drivers get in front of us.

> Moral: Leave earlier and slow the %# down - you'll get there sooner!

Moral: You are one of the bad guys, and I'll never let you get in
front of me if I can possibly help it.
Old January 30th 05, 01:44 AM

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> That's the problem John, American driving style, and just about
> everything else American, reeks of "Mefirstism" IMO that is more
> dangerous than either Conservatism or Liberalism. Americans think
> they're in a freakin' RACE when they drive. That's why they do

stupid
> things on the road, like try to fit too much car into no space when
> lane merging. Or tailgating because they *perceive* the driver in
> front of them is going *too slow* for their tastes.
>
> Well, THIS American will get there first, because I drove slow enough
> to avoid running into the back of that SUV, like that Toyota just

did.
> Because I drove slow enough to properly negotiate an off-ramp, unlike
> that Buick - which is now laying on it's side on the embankment.
> Because I regulated my speed enough to reach the intersection just as
> the lights turned green, and not try to run the previous read, as did
> that SAAB, who will now be late to work because a cop is performing

his
> duty with him. Because I didn't feel the need to HAVE to be in front
> of that minivan, which is now involved in a wreck with the Ford who
> merged in front of it too soon, clipping the van's nose!
>
> Moral: Leave earlier and slow the %# down - you'll get there sooner!
> -CC

Amen. Could not have said it better myself!

Old January 30th 05, 02:15 AM
Nate Nagel

> ChrisCoaster wrote:
>
>>That's the problem John, American driving style, and just about
>>everything else American, reeks of "Mefirstism" IMO that is more
>>dangerous than either Conservatism or Liberalism. Americans think
>>they're in a freakin' RACE when they drive. That's why they do

> stupid
>
>>things on the road, like try to fit too much car into no space when
>>lane merging. Or tailgating because they *perceive* the driver in
>>front of them is going *too slow* for their tastes.
>>
>>Well, THIS American will get there first, because I drove slow enough
>>to avoid running into the back of that SUV, like that Toyota just

> did.
>
>>Because I drove slow enough to properly negotiate an off-ramp, unlike
>>that Buick - which is now laying on it's side on the embankment.
>>Because I regulated my speed enough to reach the intersection just as
>>the lights turned green, and not try to run the previous read, as did
>>that SAAB, who will now be late to work because a cop is performing

> his
>
>>duty with him. Because I didn't feel the need to HAVE to be in front
>>of that minivan, which is now involved in a wreck with the Ford who
>>merged in front of it too soon, clipping the van's nose!
>>
>>Moral: Leave earlier and slow the %# down - you'll get there sooner!
>>-CC

> Amen. Could not have said it better myself!

Sure you could, if you're not a complete idiot - you could have blasted
Chris for repeating that old chestnut that if you just slow down you'll
be safer. It ain't speed that causes accidents - it's lack of skill,
common sense, whatever. It's perfectly possible to drive fast and still
be safe.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 30th 05, 04:06 AM

yes you can drive fast and still be safe, but the odds are against you
and it depends on how you defined safe? I have driven coast to coast
several times and have seen my fair share of junk in the middle of the
interstate, like deer, bicycles, furniture, blow out semi tires. I
probably would not be alive today if I was driving "fast" when I saw
them too late! For anyone who logs in hundreds of thousand of miles,
driving at a controllable speed is the way to survive.

Old January 30th 05, 06:44 AM
Arif Khokar

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> I was driving at 120MPH the other day, and I had no problem remaining
> in control. I might have tried going even faster, but the engine
> wasn't fully broken in yet.

Ah, so you finally broke your previous speed record

Old January 30th 05, 09:50 PM
James C. Reeves

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> The advice "go with the flow" is wrong. The safest and most stress free
> way to drive on congested interstates is to keep your distance from
> other vehicles by waiting for a break in the traffic. When a break
> comes, THEN go at a speed so your distance remains constant from
> traffic far ahead and behind you.

Your post appears to be full of contradictions.

Old January 31st 05, 12:42 AM
Nate Nagel

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2005 12:11:16 -0800, "ChrisCoaster" >
> wrote:
>

>>>If everyone on the road were in a hurry, or at least
>>>had the sense to drive as if they were even when they're not, traffic
>>>would move fast and there wouldn't be a problem. What creates conflict
>>>and problems is the people whose attitude is "relax, I'm not in a hurry
>>>and you shouldn't be either". They waste everybody's time and so have
>>>no right to be there.

>>_____________
>>Answer this, Einie - What are we in such a hurry for any how?

> Life is short, and you only get one go-'round. The last thing I want
> is to waste time stuck behind the likes of you, as those minutes you
> steal from my life can never be replaced.

Exactly. We have the technology to travel safely faster than we are
now, why hobble ourselves and spend hours commuting that could be spent
doing something more fun?

nate

Old January 31st 05, 02:39 AM
Michael

Paul wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>The advice "go with the flow" is wrong. The safest and most stress

> free
>
>>way to drive on congested interstates is to keep your distance from
>>other vehicles by waiting for a break in the traffic. When a break
>>comes, THEN go at a speed so your distance remains constant from
>>traffic far ahead and behind you.

> How about "Keep Right Except To Pass?" Strangely enough, I have found
> that doing this on some recent trips has actually made the ride go
> smoother and with less stress....

Yup, not even mentioning that by keeping right you stop being the "left
lane sucker" to the cops.
What stresses me out is:
1) Idiots who are going significantly slower than the "flow", in the
left lanes and WILL NOT yield to you no matter what - slow everyone down.
2) Idiots who want to merge doing 35-40 mph and wonder how comeone no
one is letting them on.
3) Idiots who cut in front of you and either don't speed up or even slow
down.