'86 Golf Diesel

Old November 17th 04, 01:50 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

"Kevin" > wrote in message
> hey guys,
> I need to change glow plugs in 84 Jetta. I think I need to remove
> the fuel lines to get to two of them. Is there any gaskets or
> seals needed to go back on the fuel lines?
> Those 2 glow plugs seem very hard to get to. Also any pointers,
> as I have never changed glow plugs on any vehicle before.
> Thanks,
> kevin

Do you have the manual for you car?

Yes taking off the lines and hoses makes the job go faster. ;-)
I had bought some of the Gear Head Ratcheting wrenches (non-flex heads) and
this made a glow plug replacement job go really fast. :-)
I think I only got an 8mm Gear Head wrench in the set and that alone really
made the difference.
You will at least need an 8mm wrench, a 12mm wrench and an open 17mm wrench
for the lines.
After you finish then keep the lines loose at the injectors until the air
leaves the lines and fuel comes out of them while you crank over the engine.

No seals or gaskets needed, but keep the injectors covered so no junk gets
inside of them.

Have fun!
later,
dave

Old November 17th 04, 01:50 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Old November 17th 04, 07:06 AM
Dennis Straussfogel

In article >, Kevin
> wrote:

> I need to change glow plugs in 84 Jetta. I think I need to remove
> the fuel lines to get to two of them. Is there any gaskets or
> seals needed to go back on the fuel lines?
> Those 2 glow plugs seem very hard to get to. Also any pointers,
> as I have never changed glow plugs on any vehicle before.

Yes, removing the fuel lines makes the job much easier (vs. impossible?).
Also, I've found the "magnet on a telescoping rod" (available almost
anywhere) to be indispensible for pulling the plugs and bus bar nuts up
from behind the fuel pump and then use it to locate and start both the
plugs and nuts putting it back together. (Also for retrieving the nuts
you're sure to drop.) I use long handle box-end wrenches of the
appropriate sizes to reach them. Not as difficult as it appears, just
takes a steady hand and a little patience. Good luck.

Denny
Two '85 Diesel Golfs
Old November 17th 04, 07:06 AM
Dennis Straussfogel

In article >, Kevin

Old November 17th 04, 12:22 PM
dave

(dave) wrote:

>> >From: Linux Boone

>> SNIP
>>

>> >Does anyone know where the 50a glow plug link is on a 1986 Golf Diesel?
>> > It was on the firewall for my 1982 and I've heard that they can be
>> >under the dash but I've never been successful in locating it.
>> >

>> Same spot, or it should be!
>> Follow the fat wire from the glow plugs, maybe someone bypassed the fuse

>and
>> hooked both wires to one screw/terminal.
>>

>No, it's not. At least on my '85 Diesels the glow plug link *is* under the
>dash on the relay panel near the steering column. The fuse link is under a
>snap-off clear-plastic rectangular cover. (I doubt VW moved it back to the
>firewall in '86.)
>
>Denny
>Two '85 Diesel Golfs

Thanks Denny,
I have only worked on A1 Rabbit diesels and only two A2s, 1986 Jetta and a 1989
Jetta. IIRC both had the glow plug fuse on the firewall in the engine
compartment. I really don't remember the 1986 that much anymore and have never
seen an A2 Golf Diesel yet. <g>

Golfs must be different, although I don't know why VW would have changed it. I
knew that if the OP followed the glow plug wire they would find the fuse
though. lol

I need to really examine a TDI to increase my knowledge some before I get one
of those........inexpensively I hope. <BG>

I learn something new everyday! lol
later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old November 17th 04, 12:22 PM
dave

Old November 17th 04, 05:33 PM
Dennis Straussfogel

> >> Same spot, or it should be!
> >> Follow the fat wire from the glow plugs, maybe someone bypassed the fuse

> >and
> >> hooked both wires to one screw/terminal.
> >>

> >No, it's not. At least on my '85 Diesels the glow plug link *is* under the
> >dash on the relay panel near the steering column. The fuse link is under a
> >snap-off clear-plastic rectangular cover. (I doubt VW moved it back to the
> >firewall in '86.)
> >
> >Denny
> >Two '85 Diesel Golfs
> >

> Thanks Denny,
> I have only worked on A1 Rabbit diesels and only two A2s, 1986 Jetta and

a 1989
> Jetta. IIRC both had the glow plug fuse on the firewall in the engine
> compartment. I really don't remember the 1986 that much anymore and

have never
> seen an A2 Golf Diesel yet. <g>
>
> Golfs must be different, although I don't know why VW would have changed

it. I
> knew that if the OP followed the glow plug wire they would find the fuse
> though. lol

Sorry, my mistake. I thought A2 Diesel Golfs and Jettas were essentially
the same, except for the body style. As you said, you learn something
every day.

Denny
Two '85 Diesel Golfs
Old November 17th 04, 05:33 PM
Dennis Straussfogel

Diesel CR-V??? Ramscape Honda 0 January 10th 05 02:50 AM
77 GMC Sierra diesel 4x4 questions Aegeas 4x4 1 October 20th 04 07:54 AM
Is all diesel the same? Jonno Audi 4 May 18th 04 07:55 PM
Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery? Exit 4x4 36 January 20th 04 04:12 PM