Gasoline

Old June 23rd 05, 01:39 PM
JP Roberts

As usual you're totally wrong once again.

"Pinging" is only a vulgar form of addressing the technical word
"Detonation". I'm not surprised that you only knew the vulgar form, given
your poor education.

What really surprises me, and in all probability everyone in this newsgroup,
is how on earth you might ever have managed to be a petroleum chemist
without this knowledge. Then again you wrote "former". I guess that was just
a case history of redundancy? LOL

Pinging is just a poor attempt at simply describing the metallic noise the
engine makes when there are instances of detonation. Knocking is yet another
way of describing this.

Collins English Dictionary definition for "ping":

1.- a short high-pitched resonant sound, as of a bullet striking metal or a
sonar echo.

I suggest you read this, just in case you want to seek a new job in the
Petroleum Industry of the Uneducated:

http://www.answers.com/topic/engine-knocking

Engine knocking

Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)-technically detonation- in
internal combustion engines occurs when fuel in the cylinder is ignited by
the firing of the spark plug and smooth burning proceeds but some of the
unburned mixture in the combustion chamber explodes before the flame front
can reach it, combusting suddenly before the optimum moment of the
four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave collides with the rising piston,
creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound.

Anyway, why bother to answer any of your low posting again?

Old June 23rd 05, 05:15 PM

JP Roberts wrote:
> As usual you're totally wrong once again.

LOL.

Here's where I am mistaken: calling "pinging" pre-ignition. That's
it.

Detonation and pre-ignition are different things, no matter what you
call them.

So, only in your self-important mind am I "totally wrong." I guess
you're still having difficulty extracting "fact" from "opinion." The
rest of your whiny rant is just the same ill-bred crap we've come to
expect from anti-Audi fools.

E.P. (at least I'm big enough to admit a mistake.)

Old June 23rd 05, 05:20 PM
Dave

> Obviously, because of less potential detonation problems. These are
> exacerbated by hot temperatures as the intercoolers in the early 1.8T are
> somewhat underengineered considering the demands of chipped cars. The net
> result is hotter air intake, which means the fuel mixture shows a tendency
> to self-ignite at the wrong times for the engine - read detonation
> translating into less power per time unit.
>
> The chips adjust the fuel-air-boost map to provide maximum efficiency, but
> they also advance ignition timing to the maximum bearable by the engine,
> given a particular temperature. The engine is possessed with two
> detonation sensors, and the moment the ECU detects any instance or this
> happening, it will delay ignition, thus providing less energy release per
> fuel unit - read power. The problem with this is that even if the ECU and
> sensors do a fine job, there always needs to be detonation for the system
> to delay timing - read the fewer the instances of detonation before the
> system acts the less stress on the engine in the long term.
>
> The Octane number is just a measure of how easily the fuel will
> self-ignite, therefore, the higher this number, the better the fuel in
> terms of lower detonation, which translates into lower consumption as the
> fuel is more efficiently burned because it is not being burned at the
> wrong times.
>
> JP Roberts

In this case it's a 2005 engine so the problem with early 1.8T intercoolers
probably does not apply.

The ECU may only be calibrated for 95 so putting in 98 would not cause the
ignition to be advance any further.

I doubt anyone could tell the difference between 95 and 98 in a blind test
in this particular car.

Old June 23rd 05, 05:47 PM
JP Roberts

Your own words, where you never mentioned "pre-ignition", you very clearly
stated self-ignition instead:

Octane number is measure of the fuel's resistance to *detonation.*
Self-ignition is called "ping", and that's something different.

> Here's where I am mistaken: calling "pinging" pre-ignition. That's
> it.

You're just a loser, that's what you are. You make me cry at how pathetic
you can get.

Old June 23rd 05, 06:03 PM
Art M

Nice article on turbos the
http://www.answers.com/topic/Turbocharger

Old June 23rd 05, 06:08 PM
JP Roberts

Yep, it's a great website.

Old June 23rd 05, 06:40 PM

JP Roberts wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> Your own words, where you never mentioned "pre-ignition", you very clearly
> stated self-ignition instead:
>
> Octane number is measure of the fuel's resistance to *detonation.*
> Self-ignition is called "ping", and that's something different.

Oh, now you're desperate to get whatever dig in you can - and you've
stooped to a *semantics* argument. I absolutely love it.

LOL. Tell me, doofus - how are self-ignition and pre-ignition
different? Think really hard now - make sure you know what the heck
you're talking about...

> > Here's where I am mistaken: calling "pinging" pre-ignition. That's
> > it.

> You're just a loser, that's what you are. You make me cry at how pathetic
> you can get.

You calling me a loser is so hilarious. After all your attempts at
trying to protray yourself as the better person, too.

What a shame - but I knew you were a tool from the first. Now you're
just flailing - raging like a child in an endless temper-tantrum
fashion. Keep it up. It amuses me to no end, your pretence of adult
thought. What are you, 12?

E.P.

Old June 23rd 05, 09:13 PM
JP Roberts

The body of evidence is overwhelming enough for anyone who cares to read
this thread carefully from the beginning, so I'm afraid I have other matters
to attend now.

JP Roberts

Old June 23rd 05, 09:38 PM

JP Roberts wrote:
> The body of evidence is overwhelming enough for anyone who cares to read
> this thread carefully from the beginning, so I'm afraid I have other matters
> to attend now.

And yet you couldn't muster the self-control to avoid replying.

Again.

E.P. (ROTFL)

Old June 23rd 05, 10:51 PM
Mike Smith

JP Roberts wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> Your own words, where you never mentioned "pre-ignition", you very clearly
> stated self-ignition instead:

And how, exactly, are "pre-ignition" and "self-ignition" different?
They both refer to spontaneous combustion of the fuel/air charge, prior
to the occurrence of the spark.

--
Mike Smith