B/RB vacuum advance source?

Old November 2nd 04, 04:30 PM
Nate Nagel

Default B/RB vacuum advance source?

Can someone tell me where I can find a source for an early 70's B/RB
vacuum advance? Preferably adjustable but not necessarily? I've hit
every parts store in the area and the only one that claims to be able to
get it just tried to sell me an A/LA unit (opposite rotation.) I need
the B/RB unit for an electronic ignition conversion that I'm doing to my
old Studebaker, using a '73ish MoPar distributor for the guts and a '62
Stude Autolite unit for the housing. Trying to explain that alone to
the counter help is confusing enough Anyway has anyone had any luck
finding one of these? My parts distributor has a bad diaphragm in the
vacuum advance and I'm having zippy joy finding a replacement. The
stock Stude unit won't work with the MoPar "breaker" plate sadly.

The good news is the entire conversion looks like it's going slick as
greased owl poop, just had to cut a notch in the dist. body for the
2-wire harness other than that everything so far has been 100% bolt on.
The only trick has been figuring out which pieces of which distributor
need to be used, I haven't modified anything else yet. Will be
interesting to see what my advance curve looks like though, if it's
anything usable without tweaking (guessing no, since I used the weights
and springs from the MoPar as the weights from the Stude dist. are
laminated sheet steel and notorious for wearing out and taking out the
pivots with them while the MoPar ones look like cast iron with oilite
bushings)

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old November 2nd 04, 06:50 PM
John Kunkel

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Can someone tell me where I can find a source for an early 70's B/RB
> vacuum advance? Preferably adjustable but not necessarily? I've hit
> every parts store in the area and the only one that claims to be able to
> get it just tried to sell me an A/LA unit (opposite rotation.) I need
> the B/RB unit for an electronic ignition conversion that I'm doing to my
> old Studebaker, using a '73ish MoPar distributor for the guts and a '62
> Stude Autolite unit for the housing. Trying to explain that alone to
> the counter help is confusing enough Anyway has anyone had any luck
> finding one of these? My parts distributor has a bad diaphragm in the
> vacuum advance and I'm having zippy joy finding a replacement. The
> stock Stude unit won't work with the MoPar "breaker" plate sadly.

I've done several of these conversions. You will need to modify the reluctor
to correct a phase discrepency between the rotor and the cap, it amounts to
cutting a new relocated keyway in the bore of the reluctor.

For the big block vacuum advance unit try Year One, their part number is
NG1025; about $20.

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=1

Old November 2nd 04, 06:50 PM
John Kunkel

Old November 2nd 04, 07:03 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Nate Nagel wrote:

> Can someone tell me where I can find a source for an early 70's B/RB
> vacuum advance?

NAPA (Echlin) or any store that carries Standard-BlueStreak. Spend a few
minutes with the older-car application catalogue and the buyer's guide;
both lines still have a great many different advances for these engines
and you should be able to get one that works the way you want it to.

> Preferably adjustable

Crane used to make adjustable vacuum advance units for Mopar G/RG, A, and
B/RB engines. I just got off the phone with the Crane techline, whereon
the guy claimed Crane never made any such a product.

> My parts distributor has a bad diaphragm in the
> vacuum advance and I'm having zippy joy finding a replacement.

I looked up the advance in the NAPA Echlin line for a '66 Dodge Charger
w/383 engine. This pre-smog application would seem a good match for your
'62. There are two possibilities listed: VC1165 and VC1175. Here are the
specs:

VC1165:
Advance starts at 8 to 10 In. HG vacuum

VC1175:
Advance starts at 4.5 to 8 In. HG vacuum

No spec is given (rats!) for the total amount of advance these units
provide, but that's not a big deal...you can read it right off the pull
arm; the number is given in distributor degrees (e.g. "6.5R" or "7X")
which you double to get crankshaft degrees (ignore the letter after the
number).

Old November 2nd 04, 07:03 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 2nd 04, 07:10 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, John Kunkel wrote:

> I've done several of these conversions. You will need to modify the
> reluctor to correct a phase discrepency between the rotor and the cap,
> it amounts to cutting a new relocated keyway in the bore of the
> reluctor.

You mean like Ebay 4500838245 .

> For the big block vacuum advance unit try Year One, their part number is
> NG1025; about $20.

I love how Year One pretends that just one vacuum advance, which *fits*
all B/RB single-point or electronic distributors, *works* in all of them.

Old November 2nd 04, 07:10 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 2nd 04, 07:31 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, John Kunkel wrote:
>

>>I've done several of these conversions. You will need to modify the
>>reluctor to correct a phase discrepency between the rotor and the cap,
>>it amounts to cutting a new relocated keyway in the bore of the
>>reluctor.

> You mean like Ebay 4500838245 .

Hey, Ehrenberg, what's wrong with Stuttgart? (but neat idea anyway)

>>For the big block vacuum advance unit try Year One, their part number is
>>NG1025; about $20.

> I love how Year One pretends that just one vacuum advance, which *fits*
> all B/RB single-point or electronic distributors, *works* in all of them.

Well, sure, it'll work. Just how well is the question. Actually if you
keep your foot flat to the floor you'll never notice a difference

nate

Old November 2nd 04, 07:31 PM
Nate Nagel

Old November 2nd 04, 07:35 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Nate Nagel wrote:
>

>>Can someone tell me where I can find a source for an early 70's B/RB
>>vacuum advance?

> NAPA (Echlin) or any store that carries Standard-BlueStreak. Spend a few
> minutes with the older-car application catalogue and the buyer's guide;
> both lines still have a great many different advances for these engines
> and you should be able to get one that works the way you want it to.

The store I went to first carries GB/Sorensen, this is where I got the
wrong unit. unfortunately I do not have a NAPA store handy but I did
find one that carries standard stuff so I will make a note of the
numbers you posted (hopefully they cross OK.)

>>Preferably adjustable

> Crane used to make adjustable vacuum advance units for Mopar G/RG, A, and
> B/RB engines. I just got off the phone with the Crane techline, whereon
> the guy claimed Crane never made any such a product.

Man, I hate when companies do that. "What do you mean you never made
it? I'm holding one in my ****in' hand, and I'd like to buy another."
It's one thing to discontinue a product but another entirely for your
tech. support line to be forking stupid.

>>My parts distributor has a bad diaphragm in the
>>vacuum advance and I'm having zippy joy finding a replacement.

> I looked up the advance in the NAPA Echlin line for a '66 Dodge Charger
> w/383 engine. This pre-smog application would seem a good match for your
> '62. There are two possibilities listed: VC1165 and VC1175. Here are the
> specs:
>
> VC1165:
> Advance starts at 8 to 10 In. HG vacuum
>
> VC1175:
> Advance starts at 4.5 to 8 In. HG vacuum
>
> No spec is given (rats!) for the total amount of advance these units
> provide, but that's not a big deal...you can read it right off the pull
> arm; the number is given in distributor degrees (e.g. "6.5R" or "7X")
> which you double to get crankshaft degrees (ignore the letter after the
> number).

Hmm, now I guess I need to crack open the Stude shop manual again...
where the heck did I put that thing... I know it's got the advance
curves in there somewhere...

thanks for the reply, it's more useful than you know

nate