Dont tailgate me bumper sticket

Old August 16th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
morticide

Default Dont tailgate me bumper sticket

Even better:

Yellow sign with "HORNET NEST IN TRUNK"

When I served in the National Guard, I had a bumper sticker with the
text "My Other Car Is A" followed by a picture of a tank. Didn't slap
it on my vehicle.

Old August 16th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Aunt Judy likes it
in the rear said in rec.autos.driving:
> ciate:
>
> "My other car is underwater." (spotted on Tubby Kennedy's ride)

Or: "My other car is a submarine."

--
I diots
C onvention &
Old August 16th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Alexander Rogge wrote:
> > I often wondered if such a bumper sticker would have any effect?

Plenty of drivers still seem to have the "BACKOFF" bumper sticker,
license plate frame or mudflaps.

> While there are some idiots that tailgate when they could pass, you're
> likely doing something wrong if you're being tailgated often.

What could a driver do "wrong" to attract tailgaters?! Jesushchrist,
tailgating is not at all unusual in my experience, at least as common
as speeding. Often as not the behaviors are combined.

> You
> should pull over to the side of the street or in a turnout until the
> drivers behind you have passed. It's safer than trying to block an
> angry or distracted driver.

How is one to know if the tailgater has not worked themselves into a
murdurous rage and is waiting for the first opportunity to kill the
next person that has the audacity to be to their front?

I say **** 'em. Should've left earlier... like me.

My response to tailgaters is to slow... and help them pass, if
practical. I keep adequate space to my front for them to occupy. If a
collision is being made more likely by the driver to my rear, the
safest course is arguably to reduce velocity and thereby decrease
inertial forces.

I notice quite a few drivers who tailgate seem to feel nobody else is
driving fast enough. I don't think their feelings trump my own that
too many drivers are driving too fast, and too close for conditions.
-----

- gpsman

Old August 16th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

>> While there are some idiots that tailgate when they could pass, you're
>> likely doing something wrong if you're being tailgated often.

> What could a driver do "wrong" to attract tailgaters?!

Most common example is failure to follow the law and pull over when you've
got vehicles behind you. People who normally would not tailgate often do
tailgate out of pure frustration in that instance.

Another common example is failure to KRETP. People will often tailgate you
in that instance, even though two wrongs don't make a right.

For more information see the "maybe this is what you're thinking" section in
the below link. -Dave

http://www.isp.state.id.us/news_rele...ing7-27-06.pdf

Old August 16th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
morticide

Mike T. wrote:
> >> While there are some idiots that tailgate when they could pass, you're
> >> likely doing something wrong if you're being tailgated often.

> > What could a driver do "wrong" to attract tailgaters?!

> Most common example is failure to follow the law and pull over when you've
> got vehicles behind you. People who normally would not tailgate often do
> tailgate out of pure frustration in that instance.
>
> Another common example is failure to KRETP. People will often tailgate you
> in that instance, even though two wrongs don't make a right.
>
> For more information see the "maybe this is what you're thinking" section in
> the below link. -Dave
>
> http://www.isp.state.id.us/news_rele...ing7-27-06.pdf

No argument regarding roads with 2 or more lanes in each direction, or
roads with wide shoulders. What about narrow 2-lane roads with unpaved
2-foot shoulders (thereby no place to pull over or turn out)? That was
the situation in my pucker-factor post earlier. 65 in a 55 on that
type of road is stupid and insane enough, but to STILL tailgate at 10
over the legal limit?

Old August 17th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
bernard farquart

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Aunt Judy likes it in the rear wrote:
>>
>> I much prefer:
>>
>> "Driver only carries $20 worth of ammunition."
>> "If you don't like my driving, stay off the sidewalk."
>> "I'm way to drive to drunk."

> How can you make jokes about drunken reckless driving?. I bet you love
> child-molesting "jokes" too. You are truly sick.

OK, since you asked, this is my favorite one of those jokes.

A guy and a little kid are walking in the woods,
The little kid looks up at the guy and say,
"sure is dark in these woods" and the guy
looks down at the kid and says,
"what about me? I gotta walk back alone!"

Old August 17th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
bernard farquart

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> Chris Bessert > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>What's a "sticket"?

> It's a piece of vinyl, usually with a colorful and/or witty saying
> printed on the front, and adhesive on the back. You sticket on your
> bumper so others can see what a moron you are.
>
> My favorites are the buffoons who to this day drive around with
> "Dukakis" bumper stickers on their cars. It's bad enough to deface
> your car with these ugly things, but why continue to advertise the
> fact that you backed a loser?

Keeping the sticker of a losing political campaign
on your car is also a good way of saying "don't blame
me, I votd for the other guy"

Don't know why someone would still have te Dukakis
stickr though, that is one tough sticker to last this long.

Bernard

Old August 17th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

>> For more information see the "maybe this is what you're thinking" section
>> in
>> the below link. -Dave
>>
>> http://www.isp.state.id.us/news_rele...ing7-27-06.pdf

> No argument regarding roads with 2 or more lanes in each direction, or
> roads with wide shoulders. What about narrow 2-lane roads with unpaved
> 2-foot shoulders (thereby no place to pull over or turn out)? That was
> the situation in my pucker-factor post earlier. 65 in a 55 on that
> type of road is stupid and insane enough, but to STILL tailgate at 10
> over the legal limit?

In that situation, I would signal right, then pull over as far as possible
and stop. Even if there's a double-yellow line down the center in the area,
I guarantee you that your tailgater will be around you and gone (out of
sight) before you can get your car up to speed again. It's not right for
someone to tailgate you. It's also not right for you to let them tailgate
you.

I'm not saying you were wrong to keep driving. But in doing so, you chose
to allow a dangerous situation to continue to exist. You had the choice to
end it, and chose not to. -Dave

Old August 17th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> "morticide" > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>> http://www.isp.state.id.us/news_rele...ing7-27-06.pdf

>>What about narrow 2-lane roads with unpaved
>>2-foot shoulders (thereby no place to pull over or turn out)?

> Even those roads have driveways, side roads, intersecting roads, and
> wide spaces where you can pull over. I'd be surprised if there was a
> stretch longer than a mile without SOME way to pull over. However, if
> you like, just grab your video camera and prove me wrong.

You don't even need a place to get completely off the road. Just stopping
on the far right side of the lane (long enough to let the tailgater by) will
do. -Dave