93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is thenew zero???

Old September 24th 05, 09:44 PM
remove

Default 93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is thenew zero???

All,
93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is the new
zero???Any ideas. thx
Old September 24th 05, 09:49 PM
Backyard Mechanic

remove > wrote in news:gTiZe.5208$eB3.572
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> All,
> 93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is the new
> zero???Any ideas. thx

Go to junkyard, get complete cluster, take out your cluster, replace tach
part, only.
Old September 24th 05, 09:54 PM
Backyard Mechanic

remove > wrote in news:gTiZe.5208$eB3.572
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> All,
> 93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is the new
> zero???Any ideas. thx

Uh... you didnt SAY if the engine SOUNDED like it was idling fast, so i
assume it doesnt.

If it DOES idle fast...then you likely have either a failed sensor or a
vacuum leak.

That said, IIRC, the tach-flip syndrome USUALLY goes to about 3500.
Old September 25th 05, 04:07 AM
remove

Backyard Mechanic wrote:
> remove > wrote in news:gTiZe.5208$eB3.572
> @bignews3.bellsouth.net:
>

>>All,
>>93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is the new
>>zero???Any ideas. thx
>>

> Go to junkyard, get complete cluster, take out your cluster, replace tach
> part, only.

I took the cluster out today and made sure that all the plugin connector
strips were clean and shiny . After I put it back together again it
worked fine for 1/2 hour and then jumped back to 2000. The car is idling
@500 as per usual. Can I change only the tach part of the cluster?.
Looks like it's all one unit. Since I'm driving around with the cluster
torn apart, I can see the switch housing and wires for the headlamp
switch. Do these wires normally run warm/ very warm when the lights are
on. Anyway thanks for your help. Cheers
Old September 25th 05, 05:40 AM
Backyard Mechanic

If it's like I recall, the tach head can be removed from the plastic
substrate and housing.

Mine had a bad elect component in it... yours may have a bad connection
inside head... all tach components should be in the head. The
housing/substrate has only wiring traces.

remove > wrote in
:

Old September 25th 05, 06:40 PM
WindsorFox[SS]

remove wrote:

> I took the cluster out today and made sure that all the plugin connector
> strips were clean and shiny . After I put it back together again it
> worked fine for 1/2 hour and then jumped back to 2000. The car is idling
> @500 as per usual. Can I change only the tach part of the cluster?.
> Looks like it's all one unit. Since I'm driving around with the cluster
> torn apart, I can see the switch housing and wires for the headlamp
> switch. Do these wires normally run warm/ very warm when the lights are
> on. Anyway thanks for your help. Cheers

This is the reason you see so many Mustangs with Autometer tachs
added on.

--

"Gullible is a misdemeanor - stupid is a felony...
clueless gets you committed..." - JG

RECALL on 2000 Mustang GT Intake Manifold Replacement ?????????????? Joey Pankiw Ford Mustang 1 July 31st 05 06:07 PM
Ford Mustang 2000 aaa Ford Mustang 2 July 23rd 05 01:35 AM
2000 Mustang for sale Samatt Ford Mustang 2 May 21st 05 03:18 AM
2007 Shelby GT500 Mustang Dan Ford Mustang 30 March 25th 05 12:35 AM
2000 Mustang Convertible sticking southernbell1990 Ford Mustang 1 February 22nd 05 04:03 AM