Bush's call for "more diesel"

Old May 10th 05, 02:44 AM
Joe

My guess is that it'll go nowhere because the oil lobbyists and their
puppets in the government will squish it.

This country's not ready for true energy reform. Way too many
"special interests" out there.

Hank > wrote in
:

> Just a lurker here...
>
> In last weeks Arizona Republic newspaper here in Phoenix they ran an
> article on 20%gasoline/80% grain alchol. It is available in Tucson
> for $1.83/gallon and runs in about 80% of the vehicles on the road
> without any changes. It went on to say that it was even cheaper in
> the midwest where we have an oversupply of grain and it is produced
> locally.
>
> I have not seen much else on this. Too bad. That would cut back our
> reliance on foreign oil.
>
> hank
>
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 10:47:55 GMT, Joe >
> wrote:
>
>>Check this story out:
>>
>>http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/sfl-

11forum09may09,0,775056.

:

Old May 10th 05, 02:47 AM
Joe

When I see the ridiculous profits the oil companies are reaping, price
control makes a helluva lot of sense.

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

Old May 10th 05, 02:48 AM
Joe

RichA > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 09 May 2005 10:47:55 GMT, Joe >
> wrote:
>
>>Check this story out:
>>
>>http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/sfl-

11forum09may09,0,775056.
>>story?coll=sfla-news-opinion
>>
>>It's written by Edwin Reubins, a retired professor of economics,
>>CUNY.

> Price controls? I'd check out actual world demand for oil before
> jumping on that bandwagon.
> -Rich

Check out the oil companies' profits first.
Old May 10th 05, 04:19 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

I would think about giving them incentives to develop alternative energy
sources. Maybe tie their tax rate to importation of foreign oil too.
We need to be much more self sufficient. The only way to drop the price
is to increase supply.

I see the same huge profits in the housing industry right now in the
Washington, DC area. There are way more buyers than homes. Funny how
the homeowners that complain about the oil company profits don't mind
selling their home and gouging the next buyer for a $500k profit.

:

Old May 10th 05, 04:58 AM
Richard

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
> I would think about giving them incentives to develop alternative energy
> sources. Maybe tie their tax rate to importation of foreign oil too.
> We need to be much more self sufficient. The only way to drop the price
> is to increase supply.

Maybe but probably not. Don't forget that the supply side is dominated by a
cartel (OPEC). In a global economy the floor price will be the OPEC price.
Unless of course you are suggesting that there be price controls set by
government. Believe me, price controls offer short term gain for long term
pain.

> I see the same huge profits in the housing industry right now in the
> Washington, DC area. There are way more buyers than homes. Funny how
> the homeowners that complain about the oil company profits don't mind
> selling their home and gouging the next buyer for a $500k profit.

In a free market how do you equate market prices with gouging? To the best
of my knowledge no one was holding the buyer hostage or a gun to their head.
In fact the resale side of the housing market is a near perfect example of a
free market economy.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old May 10th 05, 05:16 AM
WindsorFox[SS]

RichA wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 10:47:55 GMT, Joe > wrote:
>

>>Check this story out:
>>
>>http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opi...a-news-opinion
>>
>>It's written by Edwin Reubins, a retired professor of economics, CUNY.

> Price controls? I'd check out actual world demand for oil before
> jumping on that bandwagon.
> -Rich

After hearing about the ungodly profits Exxon just reported, I like
the idea od taxation on excess profits.

--
What's black and looks good on a spammer?

....Gangrene.

William R. James
Old May 10th 05, 05:26 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

Richard wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
>
>>I would think about giving them incentives to develop alternative energy
>>sources. Maybe tie their tax rate to importation of foreign oil too.
>>We need to be much more self sufficient. The only way to drop the price
>>is to increase supply.

> Maybe but probably not. Don't forget that the supply side is dominated by a
> cartel (OPEC). In a global economy the floor price will be the OPEC price.
> Unless of course you are suggesting that there be price controls set by
> government. Believe me, price controls offer short term gain for long term
> pain.

OPEC in and of itself is intended to be a price controlling entity. I
don't support price controls either. I do support creating incentives
to entice companies to develop alternative sources of energy for profit.

>>I see the same huge profits in the housing industry right now in the
>>Washington, DC area. There are way more buyers than homes. Funny how
>>the homeowners that complain about the oil company profits don't mind
>>selling their home and gouging the next buyer for a $500k profit.

> In a free market how do you equate market prices with gouging? To the best
> of my knowledge no one was holding the buyer hostage or a gun to their head.
> In fact the resale side of the housing market is a near perfect example of a
> free market economy.

The same people complaining about oil company profits will "take" a
profit on the sell of their home in a minute. That kind of profit is
just fine to them. I don't subscribe to the notion that one type of
profit is good and another is bad. The oil companies charge what we
will pay, just like a homeowner does when selling a house. No one
forces you to fill your tank either. I wasn't forced to drive a gas
guzzling Explorer but I do and I don't blame the oil company every time
I spend $40 to fill it up when I could buy a frugal econobox that fills
up on $10 that would last me two weeks until the next fill-up. For that
matter you (and I) could live near a bus stop and use public
transportation to get around and never buy a tank of gas for the rest of
our lives. Millions upon millions do it every day in this country. A
free market economy requires us to take the good with the bad. If we
don't then it's really not a free market.

Old May 10th 05, 05:56 AM
Spike

Unfortunately, the corporation does not get hit the way you might
think. They just find ways to pass it on to the consumer. Not to
mention there are many ways to read the corporate books.

The only thing which has changed through the decades is that the
difference between the haves and the havenots is about the greatest it
has ever been. Like how many billions does Bill gates need?

On Mon, 09 May 2005 23:16:28 -0500, "WindsorFox[SS]"

Old May 10th 05, 06:04 AM
Spike

Possibly you forget something about selling a home. Market value goes
up, a seller is not apt to sell for less than their neighbors are
getting for an equal home. It's also a fact that when one sells a
home, there are tax liabilities (or at least there were... I haven't
checked in a while). And you have to get enough so you can afford to
get into someplace else. If everyone else has jacked up their prices,
you're about forced to do the same. Finally, the big drop in interest
rates has made a major difference in home sales. Personally, I am not
going to complain that my $119K home 13 years ago is now valued at
over $320K. After all, it paid for the restoration and modifications
to my Mustang. : )

On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:26:36 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE"

Old May 10th 05, 06:38 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

My point was that most people will complain when someone makes a profit
from them but think it's justified when they are on the receiving end.
Any profit is subject to tax liabilities. The capital gains on home
sales many times aren't taxed. I hope everyone maximizes the profit for
whatever endeavor they persue. I know some of mine will go toward a
GT500, if Ford actually builds it.

Spike wrote:
> Possibly you forget something about selling a home. Market value goes
> up, a seller is not apt to sell for less than their neighbors are
> getting for an equal home. It's also a fact that when one sells a
> home, there are tax liabilities (or at least there were... I haven't
> checked in a while). And you have to get enough so you can afford to
> get into someplace else. If everyone else has jacked up their prices,
> you're about forced to do the same. Finally, the big drop in interest
> rates has made a major difference in home sales. Personally, I am not
> going to complain that my $119K home 13 years ago is now valued at
> over $320K. After all, it paid for the restoration and modifications
> to my Mustang. : )
>
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:26:36 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> > wrote:
>

>>Richard wrote:

>>>Maybe but probably not. Don't forget that the supply side is dominated by a
>>>cartel (OPEC). In a global economy the floor price will be the OPEC price.
>>>Unless of course you are suggesting that there be price controls set by
>>>government. Believe me, price controls offer short term gain for long term
>>>pain.

>>OPEC in and of itself is intended to be a price controlling entity. I
>>don't support price controls either. I do support creating incentives
>>to entice companies to develop alternative sources of energy for profit.

>>>In a free market how do you equate market prices with gouging? To the best
>>>of my knowledge no one was holding the buyer hostage or a gun to their head.
>>>In fact the resale side of the housing market is a near perfect example of a
>>>free market economy.

>>The same people complaining about oil company profits will "take" a
>>profit on the sell of their home in a minute. That kind of profit is
>>just fine to them. I don't subscribe to the notion that one type of
>>profit is good and another is bad. The oil companies charge what we
>>will pay, just like a homeowner does when selling a house. No one
>>forces you to fill your tank either. I wasn't forced to drive a gas
>>guzzling Explorer but I do and I don't blame the oil company every time
>>I spend $40 to fill it up when I could buy a frugal econobox that fills
>>up on $10 that would last me two weeks until the next fill-up. For that
>>matter you (and I) could live near a bus stop and use public
>>transportation to get around and never buy a tank of gas for the rest of
>>our lives. Millions upon millions do it every day in this country. A
>>free market economy requires us to take the good with the bad. If we
>>don't then it's really not a free market.

> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

warman i am surprised you mix oil [email protected] Ford Mustang 5 May 8th 05 04:04 AM
Diesel vs. Gasoline - why one preferred over another?? Mark Levitski Technology 42 April 27th 05 10:52 PM
More Infor on BioDiesel North 4x4 236 June 30th 04 03:58 AM
Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery? Exit 4x4 36 January 20th 04 04:12 PM