Left foot breaking uncomfortable

Old May 2nd 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

Default Left foot breaking uncomfortable

Not quite "anyone" -- it isn't uncomfortable to anyone that has raced Karts

They are all left brake setup - you "can't" use the right foot to brake a
Kart.

==--==

ll.nl...

Old May 3rd 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
alexti

"Plowboy" > wrote in
news
> Most people dotn know why we're usually taught how to drive an
> automatic, AND only to use one foot (usually the right) is because you
> have timid little mary and or johny ... <snip>

I was always thinking that it was done so that people don't have to re-
learn from right-foot braking to left-foot braking and back. I admit I've
never been taught how to drive automatic, but I've tried on my own and
quickly figured out that you use right foot to brake and left foot to smash
on the brakes right after taking off from the traffic lights What fool
came up with an idea of making the brake pedal so huge?

Alex.
Old May 3rd 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rod[_2_]

On Wed, 02 May 2007 19:40:01 GMT, "==--==" > wrote:

>Not quite "anyone" -- it isn't uncomfortable to anyone that has raced Karts
>

>They are all left brake setup - you "can't" use the right foot to brake a
>Kart.

Note the word 'breaking'. :P

Cheers,
Rod.
Old May 3rd 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
DerekBaker

* Rod:
> On Wed, 02 May 2007 19:40:01 GMT, "==--==" > wrote:
>
>> Not quite "anyone" -- it isn't uncomfortable to anyone that has raced Karts
>>

>> They are all left brake setup - you "can't" use the right foot to brake a
>> Kart.

> Note the word 'breaking'. :P
>
> Cheers,
> Rod.

Yeah, shame sudesh didn't note my correction two minutes after my OP.

--
Derek
Old May 3rd 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Think about it, in "traffic" your supposed to be concentrating on traffic,
so you concentrate- which means trying to anticipate the drivers and other
obstacles around you. it takes an average person something like .02 seconds
just to "think" about moving your foot (reactionary) then so many hundredtsh
of seconds to move the foot. then depending on the brake system in this
example, a few tenths to get the desired effect so I see you lose a second.
But in traffic you "were taught in school and books and even commercials, to
leave yourself a 5-6 seconds gap between yourself and others. so in traffic
if you dont drive just passed the bumper of your car, you "should have time
to react" to most things... But in racing your competing with others that
are trying to achieve those 100ths of a second advantage over you and the
next guy/gal competitior. so you want to give up the momentum and speed by
lifting your foot off the accelerator and moving it to the brake, all the
while traveling at over 150 mph for example? 150 mph is how many feet per
second? so if I get .2 more seconds worth of full throttle I travel about
2% further down the track, and at higher speed, before I lift off the gas
with my right foot, and Simultaneously bear down on the brake with my left.

Automatics have the big brake, Im pretty sure, because so many years cars
did NOT have automatic (2 pedals and throttle) so for asthetic reasons they
made the brake pedal visually take up both places. You know, it was just
because at first, you got out of your 53 ford, to buy the 56 belair with AT,
and only saw one scrawny, all by itself brake pedal down there they figured,
you'd of just think "I dont know for sure but something is missing here.."

alexti enlightened us with:

Old May 4th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
alexti

"Plowboy" > wrote in
:

> Think about it, in "traffic" your supposed to be concentrating on
> traffic, so you concentrate- which means trying to anticipate the
> drivers and other obstacles around you. it takes an average person
> something like .02 seconds just to "think" about moving your foot
> (reactionary) then so many hundredtsh of seconds to move the foot.
> then depending on the brake system in this example, a few tenths to get
> the desired effect so I see you lose a second. But in traffic you "were
> taught in school and books and even commercials, to leave yourself a
> 5-6 seconds gap between yourself and others.

How many seconds will it take in traffic for the 5-6 gap to fill up?

> so in traffic if you dont
> drive just passed the bumper of your car, you "should have time to
> react" to most things... But in racing your competing with others that
> are trying to achieve those 100ths of a second advantage over you and
> the next guy/gal competitior. so you want to give up the momentum and
> speed by lifting your foot off the accelerator and moving it to the
> brake, all the while traveling at over 150 mph for example?

In racing conditions you keep the outer part of your foot on the throttle
and the front inner part at the brake, and in many tecnhniques you don't
release the throttle before starting to brake, it's more like starting to
brake while still trailing the accelerator. There isn't much movement
involved here. Using left foot is certainly much easier, but reality is
that most racer come through lower formula (where they have no choice), so
by the time they get into high-end cars with electronic clutch they're
quite proficient at heel-and-toe so the difference between it and left foot
braking is very minimal. Besides a lot of racers start in karts, so they
are usually quite comfortable with both left and right foot braking.

> Automatics have the big brake, Im pretty sure, because so many years
> cars did NOT have automatic (2 pedals and throttle) so for asthetic
> reasons they made the brake pedal visually take up both places.

Strange that nobody thought (or thought and ignored) that this design is a
safety risk with no apparent advantages...

Old May 7th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry \(The Other Larry\)

Well, I know that with some tracks/setups in NR2003, if you remove your
right foot from the gas to put it on the brake, by the time you get to the
brake you'll be looking head-on into oncomming traffic. Aka Snap-spin.

A good example of this is Richmond. I even tend to pre-load the brakes just
a tad before letting off the gas when entering turns 1 and 3 there to keep
the ass-end settled.

-Larry

Old May 8th 07, 10:01 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Asgeir Nesoen

The muscle accuracy of your left foot needs some heavy practice in order
to do a good job at braking. That'll come around eventually.

But, and this is important: You need not hover your left foot over your
pedal for any period of time. Race car drivers don't do this either.
They keep their left foot out of the way for as much time as possible.
In order to let it rest, and in order to avoid accidental sagging of the
brakes which is, of course, bad for speed...

You need to move your left foot away from the brake pedal, preferrably
let it rest on a dedicated "platform", and the platform needs to be
higher (in the actuating plane of the pedal) than your pedal so that you
can just slide/rotate your foot to the right and land comfortably on
your brake pedal. This is good for reaction, and will be more than
adequate for normal race conditions.

Letting your foot rest will improve accuracy too, because the static
position over your braking pedal will be bad for your muscle, you'll
tense up, and you'll eventually end up with a hurting leg. How's that
for realism, arriving at work on monday morning with a limp due to
extensive racing on sunday...

---A---

Old May 8th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

It has been done (VBG)
Asgeir Nesoen enlightened us with:

Left foot braking kllrdesire Driving 5 September 13th 06 07:53 PM
Left foot braking igor@af Driving 30 September 13th 06 12:07 PM
Left foot braking Stefanel1 Driving 2 September 11th 06 03:36 AM
Left foot braking igor@af Driving 12 January 28th 06 07:35 PM
Two Footed Driving Opinions (left foot for brake) Solicited ? Robert11 Technology 13 August 29th 05 02:28 PM