Engine Light coming on

Old July 16th 04, 06:13 PM
Carl Borbons

Default Engine Light coming on

I have a 2000 Saturn LW2. The "service engine soon" light came on so I
hooked up an OBD II I rented from a local auto parts store. It said "Fuel
too lean banks 1 and 2" and the same message for banks 3 and 4 ( 2 codes ).
So I ran some fuel injector cleaner through. At the time the car ran pretty
good, but I noticed some hesitation and "chugging" at times when climbing a
hill or accellerating at certain speeds. Anyway, the light went right off
after I ran the injector cleaner through, but then came on again within a
few days. So more injector cleaner and better quality gas. Light still on.
Then I changed out the fuel filter. And the car seemed to run better, but
the light stayed on. I disconnected the positive terminal of the battery
for a few minutes and the light reset and was off for about 20-30 miles.
Then the light came back on. The car is "chugging" again. Maybe I got a
tank of bad gas?? Any ideas?? I hate to bring it in and give someone $85 /
hour if the answer is something simple that I could do.

Old July 16th 04, 11:22 PM
Napalm Heart

"Carl Borbons" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I have a 2000 Saturn LW2. The "service engine soon" light came on

so I
> hooked up an OBD II I rented from a local auto parts store. It said

"Fuel
> too lean banks 1 and 2" and the same message for banks 3 and 4 ( 2

codes ).
> So I ran some fuel injector cleaner through. At the time the car

ran pretty
> good, but I noticed some hesitation and "chugging" at times when

climbing a
> hill or accellerating at certain speeds. Anyway, the light went

right off
> after I ran the injector cleaner through, but then came on again

within a
> few days. So more injector cleaner and better quality gas. Light

still on.
> Then I changed out the fuel filter. And the car seemed to run

better, but
> the light stayed on. I disconnected the positive terminal of the

battery
> for a few minutes and the light reset and was off for about 20-30

miles.

Always make sure you disconnect the ground cable first. Safety issue.

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do know the above.

In short, if you disconnect the positive cable first and touch ground
while doing it you can have quite the fireworks display and/or
explosion.

Very good detailed explaination of this at
http://www.hrps.demon.nl/jwbus/safety.htm

Ken

Old July 17th 04, 05:58 AM
Mason121

>Napalm Heart"
>Date: 7/16/2004 5:22 PM Central Standard Time

<snip>I don't know the answers to your question.

That is all you really needed to say.

Old July 17th 04, 06:40 AM
Robert Hancock

If you tried changing the fuel filter, then I'd guess it's some kind of
other restriction in the fuel system, or maybe there's some problem with the
fuel pressure regulator. Could also be something like a vacuum leak, too..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

/

Old July 17th 04, 01:48 PM
Napalm Heart

"Mason121" > wrote in message
> >Napalm Heart"
> >Date: 7/16/2004 5:22 PM Central Standard Time
>

> <snip>I don't know the answers to your question.
>
> That is all you really needed to say.

And you didn't need to say that.

Old July 17th 04, 01:49 PM
Napalm Heart

"Mason121" > wrote in message
> >Napalm Heart"
> >Date: 7/16/2004 5:22 PM Central Standard Time
>

> <snip>I don't know the answers to your question.
>
> That is all you really needed to say.

Unless you don't care that the guy might cause himself big problems
from a simple procedural error.