head gasket

Old February 19th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
njot

Default head gasket

For a 96 Saturn SL1, is the engine all aluminum or is it an aluminum
head with a cast iron block?

Has anyone on the list had a head gasket fail on them at high mileages
(~175,000) even though the car was never overheated, coolant/oil was
kept changed?

I can't figure out why the head gasket failed on this car (oil gets
into the coolant... it runs just fine) but I am wondering if the cyl
head is aluminum and the block cast iron, that perhaps the two
different metals somehow caused the head gasket to fail after all the
heating up and cooling down with many miles of normal use.

I've never heard of a head gasket failing on a car unless it was
overheated.

Old February 19th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

On Feb 19, 5:12 pm, "njot" > wrote:
> For a 96 Saturn SL1, is the engine all aluminum or is it an aluminum
> head with a cast iron block?

Aluminum over aluminum

Single over head cam Saturn engines are known for head gasket
problems.

James

Old February 20th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Kevin

James1549 wrote:
> On Feb 19, 5:12 pm, "njot" > wrote:
>> For a 96 Saturn SL1, is the engine all aluminum or is it an aluminum
>> head with a cast iron block?

> Aluminum over aluminum
>
> Single over head cam Saturn engines are known for head gasket
> problems.

actually, the '95-'96 SOHC motors had a casting flaw in the head that
can sometimes lead to a crack. The warranty was extended to 6yr/100K
miles by Saturn. my '95 had 109k when I took out the motor w/o problem,
and my wife's '96 has 101k w/o issue. The head from my '95 is now in my
friend's '95 SL1 since hers cracked at 148k. thing has been running
great for the last 2 years.