US Car Sales

Old February 24th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
David Teichholtz

Default US Car Sales

I bought my first new vehicle in 1986 and was completely taken aback by the
total lack of product knowledge that I encountered. Same thing happened in
1993 when purchasing another new vehicle. The internet did not exist in 1986
or 1993 the way it is today so one would have to use manufactures sales
literature and reviews in magazines to do research. Google has give the
consumer a new edge, but the salespeople are still back in 1986 wrt product
knowledge.

> Then I remeber the purchasing experience of a
> woman I dated. Her vehicle died near where she worked she had the car

towed and the service dept told
> her it needed a new transmission
> so she bought a brand a new Honda. Guess I just don't get it.

The price of the repair was probably in the $2000 price range. Many people
faced with that size of a bill will often go for the new car.

Keep in mind that for someone who does not do their own work, just replacing
the alternator in a Honda is a $500 job. Me? $30 at the bone yard and an
hour.

-David