Rustproofing Lubricant Recommendation

Old February 28th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

Default Rustproofing Lubricant Recommendation

This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm new to this hobby so bear
with me. What kind of spray lubricant is best for rustproofing the various
cavities on a car chassis, including critical things such as inside the
crossmembers? The guy in the automotive section at Canadian Tire said to use
Rust Check, I bought a can of this (expensive) stuff but I haven't used any
yet. The reason is that it seems quite thin - like WD40 - and somebody told
me that neither of these are good enough for this purpose. So what is? Can
you recommend something that will last between rustproofing intervals (say,
every two years) and is available here in Canada?
Thanks for any advice.

Old March 1st 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Chris F. wrote:
> This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm new to this hobby so bear
> with me. What kind of spray lubricant is best for rustproofing the various
> cavities on a car chassis, including critical things such as inside the
> crossmembers? The guy in the automotive section at Canadian Tire said to use
> Rust Check, I bought a can of this (expensive) stuff but I haven't used any
> yet. The reason is that it seems quite thin - like WD40 - and somebody told
> me that neither of these are good enough for this purpose. So what is? Can
> you recommend something that will last between rustproofing intervals (say,
> every two years) and is available here in Canada?
> Thanks for any advice.

I've heard that Krown is good, but it is not available down here in the
states. I'm partial to the waxy, parrafin stuff that German cars use.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 1st 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Chris F. > wrote:
> This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm new to this hobby so bear
>with me. What kind of spray lubricant is best for rustproofing the various
>cavities on a car chassis, including critical things such as inside the
>crossmembers? The guy in the automotive section at Canadian Tire said to use
>Rust Check, I bought a can of this (expensive) stuff but I haven't used any
>yet. The reason is that it seems quite thin - like WD40 - and somebody told
>me that neither of these are good enough for this purpose. So what is? Can
>you recommend something that will last between rustproofing intervals (say,
>every two years) and is available here in Canada?

If Rust Check is what I think it is, it's not a lubricant at all but a
material that chemically binds to the metal surface and reduces rust.

In more southern climes we get Locktite Extend, which is the same thing.
It works, very well.

After using it and letting it dry, put a coat of undercoating on top of
it. Be careful with the undercoating... if you put it on an existing
rusty surface without stabilizing it, the rust will just keep growing
underneath the coat.
--scott

Old March 1st 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"Chris F." > wrote in
:

> This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm new to this hobby so
> bear
> with me. What kind of spray lubricant is best for rustproofing the
> various cavities on a car chassis, including critical things such as
> inside the crossmembers? The guy in the automotive section at Canadian
> Tire said to use Rust Check,

Excellent suggestion.

> I bought a can of this (expensive) stuff
> but I haven't used any yet. The reason is that it seems quite thin -
> like WD40 - and somebody told me that neither of these are good enough
> for this purpose.

Yes it is. But Krown is better, IME.

> So what is? Can you recommend something that will
> last between rustproofing intervals (say, every two years) and is
> available here in Canada?
> Thanks for any advice.

The spray can is meant for touch-ups, and for doing areas the Rust Check or
Krown dealer can't reach (such as your locks).

There is also a substance called "Coat and Protect" (green can) that's a
lot thicker than the regular Krown T40, etc. You use Coat and Protect for
inside the cowl anmd other areas that are subject to lots of water flow.

You need to pay the $110 or so to have Rust Check or Krown do a full
rustproofing on your car every /year/, whether spring or fall. Every two
years isn't sufficient.

However, if you plan on getting rid of your car in less than six years,
there's no point in any rustproofing at all. The automaker's factory
treatments will last that long before the rust becomes visible. Rust will
be there all along, just won't be readily seen until a few years have
passed.

Rust Check and Krown are both /amazingly/ effective and I /highly/
recommend them. I prefer Krown to Rust Check, actually.

--
Tegger

Old March 1st 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in
:

> Chris F. > wrote:
>> This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm new to this hobby so
>> bear
>>with me. What kind of spray lubricant is best for rustproofing the
>>various cavities on a car chassis, including critical things such as
>>inside the crossmembers? The guy in the automotive section at Canadian
>>Tire said to use Rust Check, I bought a can of this (expensive) stuff
>>but I haven't used any yet. The reason is that it seems quite thin -
>>like WD40 - and somebody told me that neither of these are good enough
>>for this purpose. So what is? Can you recommend something that will
>>last between rustproofing intervals (say, every two years) and is
>>available here in Canada?

> If Rust Check is what I think it is, it's not a lubricant at all but a
> material that chemically binds to the metal surface and reduces rust.

Rust Check is an extremely thin "polarized oil". It works by relentlessly
spreading itself, forever. It creeps under water films and lifts them off
the steel.

It only works so long as it remains sufficiently thick enough to actually
"creep". Over time, it thins out so far that it no longer covers
completely, so you need to replenish the coating with a new application
each year.

It is also easily washed away on exposed surfaces, you it can't protect
against stone chips and the like. The stuff is meant for inside doors,
hoods, trunk lids, rocker panels, frame rails, above gas tanks, behind
plastic splash panels, that sort of thing.

> In more southern climes we get Locktite Extend, which is the same
> thing. It works, very well.
>
> After using it and letting it dry, put a coat of undercoating on top
> of it.

/Nothing/ sticks to Rust Check or Krown. RC and Krown remain oily and
"wet" forever.

> Be careful with the undercoating... if you put it on an
> existing rusty surface without stabilizing it, the rust will just keep
> growing underneath the coat.

RC and Krown actually significantly slow down even existing rust on account
of how they work. I have seen this with my own eyes.

--
Tegger

Old March 1st 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

> You need to pay the $110 or so to have Rust Check or Krown do a full
> rustproofing on your car every /year/, whether spring or fall. Every two
> years isn't sufficient.

I'm doing it myself actually, this is the '88 Civic I've wrote about in
rustproofing done once in it's nearly 20 years on the road and never had the
undercoat redone - no wonder it rusted to heck. Now that it's under my care,
it will have such maintenance done regularly and since I'm doing it myself I
can be sure it's done properly.

> However, if you plan on getting rid of your car in less than six years,

I intend to keep this going for as long as possible, regardless of how much
time and money that might require. If it reaches a point where it just isn't
feasible to keep in running, I'll still keep it as a showpiece if nothing
else.

Air compressor lubricant HLS Technology 17 June 18th 08 04:13 PM
Ideas for Rustproofing Floorboards in old car Caprice85 Technology 19 September 28th 07 04:20 PM
Lubricant questions Outatime[_2_] Jeep 1 December 26th 06 02:54 AM
NP231 lubricant Herb Jeep 5 January 29th 05 02:44 PM
Lubricant questions... especially for the T-LSD Chief_Wiggum Mazda 3 October 19th 04 02:40 AM