2004 Explorer (Sports Trac) - estimate question

Old November 10th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
DQ

Default 2004 Explorer (Sports Trac) - estimate question

I have a Explorer Sports Trac & a guy rear ended me and bent my rear
bumper. The other driver's bumper hit so hard the bumper fell off.
Well anyway, I went to get a estimate at the insurance of the other
driver & he said the 2004 bumper costs $437.
I commented that the hit was so hrad I was concerned about the
frame. he said that the frame was fine.

My ???? (My question). How can he know that the frame is fine. He
didn't even look under the truck or anything. I wa there when he
inspected it. It seems like he assunes everything is fine.

Does anybody know the rules or wher I can research stuff like that??

Thanks in Advance,
d Q

Old November 10th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_1_]

"DQ" > wrote in message
>I have a Explorer Sports Trac & a guy rear ended me and bent my rear
>bumper. The other driver's bumper hit so hard the bumper fell off.
> Well anyway, I went to get a estimate at the insurance of the other
> driver & he said the 2004 bumper costs $437.
> I commented that the hit was so hrad I was concerned about the frame.
> he said that the frame was fine.
>
> My ???? (My question). How can he know that the frame is fine. He
> didn't even look under the truck or anything. I wa there when he
> inspected it. It seems like he assunes everything is fine.
>
> Does anybody know the rules or wher I can research stuff like that??
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> d Q

Did you look for yourself? If you are getting the work done at a reputable
shop, if they find more damage when they install the new bumper, they will
ask the insurance company for more money. The easy way to check the frame
will be to fit the new bumber. If it lines up with the frame, it is unlikely
there was any frame damage. You could have a frame shop check your vehicle.
Ford publishes frame dimensions that frame shops use to check the frames.
--
Regards,

Ed White
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/ - my automotive opinions
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html - my oil filter comparison

Old November 11th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Jeffrey

I agree with Ed, kinda. My answer would be to have the frame dimensions
checked by another body shop, one you choose. If the frame is fine,
then you will pay for the check - and for the peace of mind. If the
dimensions are out, then you have evidence to take back to the other
guy's insurer.

By the way, why aren't you doing this through your own insurer? Since
it was the other guy's fault, and since your own insurer wants to keep
you happy, they will make sure the job is done right, and they will also
get your deductible back for you.

Bill

Old November 12th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Kenneth J. Harris

Probably because he doesn't have collision coverage. What you just
described are the advantages of having it.

Ken