Only high beams work on '98 Odyssey

Old October 20th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

Default Only high beams work on '98 Odyssey

A while back, the low beams quit working on my '98 Odyssey. I checked
the obvious -- wiggled the connectors and looked for a blown fuse (I
didn't see a separate fuse for high and low beams). Is there anything
else I can check before assuming the hi/low switch is broken?

Old October 20th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Doug B wrote:

> A while back, the low beams quit working on my '98 Odyssey. I checked
> the obvious -- wiggled the connectors and looked for a blown fuse (I
> didn't see a separate fuse for high and low beams). Is there anything
> else I can check before assuming the hi/low switch is broken?

If you've searched this newsgroup, and you're sure the filaments aren't
burnt out, it's probably the low cut relay, which is above the gas
pedal.

Does this Odyssey have Daytime Running Lights? Whole different ball
game.

'Curly'
Old October 20th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
> If you've searched this newsgroup, and you're sure the filaments aren't
> burnt out, it's probably the low cut relay, which is above the gas
> pedal.

Both filaments wouldn't burn out simultaneously, would they? I'll check
the relay first.

> Does this Odyssey have Daytime Running Lights? Whole different ball
> game.

No; I wish.

Thanks!

Old October 20th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:51:53 -0400, Doug B > wrote:

>'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
>> If you've searched this newsgroup, and you're sure the filaments aren't
>> burnt out, it's probably the low cut relay, which is above the gas
>> pedal.
>>

>Both filaments wouldn't burn out simultaneously, would they? I'll check
>the relay first.

The can if the common wire burns out or breaks.

Old October 20th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Doug B > wrote in news:ehause$j3m$1
@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu:

> 'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
>> If you've searched this newsgroup, and you're sure the filaments aren't
>> burnt out, it's probably the low cut relay, which is above the gas
>> pedal.
>>

> Both filaments wouldn't burn out simultaneously, would they? I'll check
> the relay first.
>
>> Does this Odyssey have Daytime Running Lights? Whole different ball
>> game.

> No; I wish.

You can add them.

http://www.hamsar.com/home.htm

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 20th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Doug B wrote:

> Both filaments wouldn't burn out simultaneously, would they?

-------------------------------------

No, but if you drove around with one burnt out, you'd certainly notice
they were both dead when the second one conked out. I didn't catch on
until I pulled up to the garage one night.

Read previous posts about the correct to way to remove the lamps from
their sockets...so you dont' wreck the connectors.

'Curly'
Old October 20th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Doug B > wrote in news:ehause$j3m$1
@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu:

> 'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
>> If you've searched this newsgroup, and you're sure the filaments aren't
>> burnt out, it's probably the low cut relay, which is above the gas
>> pedal.
>>

> Both filaments wouldn't burn out simultaneously, would they?

No. They're not both on at the same time.

Old October 21st 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dan Beaton

"TeGGeR®" ) writes:
> Doug B > wrote in news:ehause$j3m$1
> @charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu:
>
>> 'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
>>> If you've searched this newsgroup, and you're sure the filaments aren't
>>> burnt out, it's probably the low cut relay, which is above the gas
>>> pedal.
>>>

>> Both filaments wouldn't burn out simultaneously, would they?

> No. They're not both on at the same time.

By "both", I think the OP meant left and right, and not high and low.
And yes, both left and right filaments can burn out within a very
short period of each other, especially if there is a problem with
the voltage regulator.
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)