Another Saturn?

Old July 18th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem[_1_]

Default Another Saturn?

Will you get anothr Saturn?,I reall dont think so,but,what else is out
there?,Just got my monthly pay statement & i'm just over 6K to go!,the
time to decide will be around sooner than i thought.
Old July 18th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

"teem" > wrote in message
> Will you get anothr Saturn?,I reall dont think so,but,what else is out
> there?,Just got my monthly pay statement & i'm just over 6K to go!,the
> time to decide will be around sooner than i thought.

When I'm ready to buy, I'll check the latest annual reliability report
in _Consumer's Reports_ and shop for what appear to be the best value. Since
I don't feel the need for great performance, I'll be looking at the low-end
compact market. This is how I wound up with my last two cars -- '94 Saturn
SL and '99 Saturn SL. YMMV.
Good hunting!

Old July 18th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Tom The Great

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:26:32 -0500, teem >
wrote:

>Will you get anothr Saturn?,I reall dont think so,but,what else is out
>there?,Just got my monthly pay statement & i'm just over 6K to go!,the
>time to decide will be around sooner than i thought.

No. For a few reasons...

I was very happy with my 96 SL2. That baby took 100k miles like a
champ. It died when it fought a tool truck, and won. Won meaning it
threw the truck into a roll and into a ditch. The insurance company
totaled our car, but Wifey was unscratched. Amen for 96 SL2. Saturn
got rid of the SL's so not interesed in the IONs.

Now my 97SL2, too many mysterious 'problems' that they couldn't find
for years. I only recently had my fuel pump replaced, and it seems
all the problems magicly went away. After 6 years of intermittant
stalling, and rough starts (car only has 70k miles). When the
experts(three different dealers couldn't find it till the pump
actually clearly failed). So was a sour experience. So Saturn got a
black mark from this.

Saturns are not in the top 10 for "American Made" Cars. Infact Toyota
holds two positions on some of their models, but Saturn doesn't have
one. A google search for "most american car" gives you the list I am
talking about, or check he http://www.urlbee.com?7322

Last, Consumer Reports reviews of any saturn model kinda 'sux'. I
haven't seen any saturns make it to their 'recommended' cars.

Damn, I miss my 96SL2. I've become so sad about Saturn since.

tom

Old July 19th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_1_]

In article >,
says...
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:26:32 -0500, teem >
> wrote:
>
> >Will you get anothr Saturn?,I reall dont think so,but,what else is out
> >there?,Just got my monthly pay statement & i'm just over 6K to go!,the
> >time to decide will be around sooner than i thought.

> No. For a few reasons...
>
> I was very happy with my 96 SL2. That baby took 100k miles like a
> champ. It died when it fought a tool truck, and won. Won meaning it
> threw the truck into a roll and into a ditch. The insurance company
> totaled our car, but Wifey was unscratched. Amen for 96 SL2. Saturn
> got rid of the SL's so not interesed in the IONs.
>
> Now my 97SL2, too many mysterious 'problems' that they couldn't find
> for years. I only recently had my fuel pump replaced, and it seems
> all the problems magicly went away. After 6 years of intermittant
> stalling, and rough starts (car only has 70k miles). When the
> experts(three different dealers couldn't find it till the pump
> actually clearly failed). So was a sour experience. So Saturn got a
> black mark from this.
>
> Saturns are not in the top 10 for "American Made" Cars. Infact Toyota
> holds two positions on some of their models, but Saturn doesn't have
> one. A google search for "most american car" gives you the list I am
> talking about, or check he
http://www.urlbee.com?7322

> Last, Consumer Reports reviews of any saturn model kinda 'sux'. I
> haven't seen any saturns make it to their 'recommended' cars.
>
> Damn, I miss my 96SL2. I've become so sad about Saturn since.
>
> tom

I really like the 4 cyl Vue's (and upcoming sky) but there really isnt
anything else under the Saturn nameplate now that I care for. Actually
there isnt much under any name plate that I like. You might take a look
at an Ecotec powered Malibu. In my mind its probably the closest you can
get to what a modern day S-series would have been.
Old July 19th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Anything with an ecotec engine will be fair game for me. I am still awaiting
to see the new Aura sedan and eventually the upcoming replacements for the
ION and VUE.

Now that I have had a few weeks to closely look at the Chevrolet line-up,
there are many admirable diffrences, however, as far as American made
vehicles, I have yet to find anything that compares to the safety of
Saturns.

Hopefully as Saturn integrates with GM, the same considerations of safety
and gas mileage wil be maintained within the new designs. Only time will
tell.

marx404
happy saturn owner.

Old July 19th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe Blow

wrote:

>Will you get anothr Saturn?,I reall dont think so,but,what else is out
>there?,Just got my monthly pay statement & i'm just over 6K to go!,the
>time to decide will be around sooner than i thought.

I'm on my third Saturn SL and it has just passed 150,000KM. When it
goes over 240,000KM, I have to look around for a replacement again.
That'll be in another 2 years.

The SLs has been great for me. Virtually no maintenance other than
oil changes, spark plug changes, coolant changes and brake changes.
All regular maintenance. I also got into a head on collision with an
Accord several years ago. The combined speed was 90 - 100KM/h and
both cars were totalled. I walked away with a bruised shoulder (seat
belt). The Accod driver had cuts to his knees.

If Saturned still makes the SL, I will get one without a second
thought. Unfortunately, they don't anymore. I've looked at the Ion.
There's less driver foot room, and it gets worse mileage (the SL
currently gets just under 50MPG imperial). But the polymer body
panels is a major bonus. So I'll see what happens in 2 years. If
there are no better choice, it'll be the Ion.

I read lots of car reports. Saturn ranks low in all of them. But
that's OK. Because the car is fine for me. And that's what counts. I
don't live my life by someone else's opinion. I just use their
opinion as a reference.

Old July 19th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem[_1_]

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:31:06 -0400, dirtbag >
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:12:50 +0000, BläBlä wrote:
>

>> I really like the 4 cyl Vue's (and upcoming sky) but there really isnt
>> anything else under the Saturn nameplate now that I care for. Actually
>> there isnt much under any name plate that I like. You might take a look
>> at an Ecotec powered Malibu. In my mind its probably the closest you can
>> get to what a modern day S-series would have been.

>The 4cyl Vue is so slow it is almost dangerous.
>I drove one a couple of weeks ago as a rental from Hertz.
>Had it for a week and couldn't wait to give it back.
>Turning circle seemed very wide as well.
>
>Sky looks like a bitchin' car!

Amen to that,brother,can;t get a chubby at ANY of these ''cars''
today.I really would like to get one with a 6 cylinder,forgot how they
work.
Old July 19th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"Joe Blow" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:26:32 -0500, teem >
> wrote:
>
>>Will you get anothr Saturn?,I reall dont think so,but,what else is out
>>there?,Just got my monthly pay statement & i'm just over 6K to go!,the
>>time to decide will be around sooner than i thought.

I am assuming that 6k to go means until it is paid for. Perhaps you might
consider driving a car that is paid for, it is an interesting and
pleasurable experience. You may like it so much you will just make it last
as long as you can, I submit that will be a LOT longer than you would
expect, (IF you operate it properly and keep up the maintenance and escape
crashing).

> I'm on my third Saturn SL and it has just passed 150,000KM. When it
> goes over 240,000KM, I have to look around for a replacement again.
> That'll be in another 2 years.

Why?

> The SLs has been great for me. Virtually no maintenance other than
> oil changes, spark plug changes, coolant changes and brake changes.

..
and tires, trans oil, battery, plug wire, backup light switch & horns.
> All regular maintenance

And one wheel bearing which is debatably also maintenance. Crashes and
automatic transmissions and oil burning (which is really maintenance caused
by overly 'spirited' driving?) seem to be the real car killers.

snip
> If Saturned still makes the SL, I will get one without a second
> thought. Unfortunately, they don't anymore. I've looked at the Ion.
> There's less driver foot room, and it gets worse mileage (the SL
> currently gets just under 50MPG imperial). But the polymer body
> panels is a major bonus. So I'll see what happens in 2 years.

Agreed.
We currently have over 260k and still going strong. Saturns are just
starting to show up in the cheaper wrecking yards so I hope to be able to
find cheaper parts and replace some of the cracked plastic fender liners and
stuff under the bumpers. I suspect that the S series used parts
availability will be great for about the next 10 years.

> there are no better choice, it'll be the Ion.

I am NOT impressed by the ION, I would buy a new S series (sigh) especially
one with the expected third generation improvements. I have found the S
series to be a great car and think that there are some people who are now
getting great bargains in used cars. I would particularly recommend the 96>
SW1 - 5sp. I am not a big fan of either the twin cams or especially the
automatic transmissions.

> I read lots of car reports.

Not me, I think automotive journalists are just word whores stoking the fire
of excess consumerism. They will recommend anything they get paid or can
use for free.

> Saturn ranks low in all of them.

Because Saturn is not giving them enough money or free usage. Expect some
favorable reports about the Sky when sales drop off and Saturn has some
unsold demos to give to the word whores in exchange for good press.

>But
> that's OK. Because the car is fine for me. And that's what counts. I
> don't live my life by someone else's opinion. I just use their
> opinion as a reference.

Agreed.

Old July 20th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
bo peep

Joe Blow wrote:
> I've looked at the Ion...
> So I'll see what happens in 2 years. If
> there are no better choice, it'll be the Ion.

No, it won't be a choice in 2 years - 2006 is the last year for the
Ion, and the last year for the polymer panels.

John Cowart

Old July 20th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Sir Creep

dirtbag wrote:

> The 4cyl Vue is so slow it is almost dangerous.
> I drove one a couple of weeks ago as a rental from Hertz.
> Had it for a week and couldn't wait to give it back.
> Turning circle seemed very wide as well.

Troll. Trying to demean this fine vehicle (I know 4 other owners who
all loved them, and this is why I got one) with a blanket and baseless
declaration that it is 'dangerous' tells me all I need to know your
post. Perhaps it was slow cuz you didn't step on the pedal. Similarly
I would presume the reason you had such a wide turning circle (I've
never had trouble parking if that's what you mean) is due to the fact
you didn't turn the frickin wheel all the way.
Sir Creep