Cleaning Contacts of Bulb Sockets

Old April 3rd 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Default Cleaning Contacts of Bulb Sockets

One of my 91 Civic LX's rear, side brake lights partly went
out recently. Moving the bulb back and forth caused it to
come on again. Then I found another socket and bulb where
this was happening.

Is there a clever way or tool to get some sand paper, a
file, spray, or whatever into the socket to really scrape
down the contacts and clean them?

Old April 3rd 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

"Elle" > wrote in message
link.net...
> One of my 91 Civic LX's rear, side brake lights partly went out recently.
> Moving the bulb back and forth caused it to come on again. Then I found
> another socket and bulb where this was happening.
>
> Is there a clever way or tool to get some sand paper, a file, spray, or
> whatever into the socket to really scrape down the contacts and clean
> them?

A jeweler's screwdriver has worked for me in the past, for similar types of
work.

Old April 3rd 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

"Elle" > wrote in
link.net:

> One of my 91 Civic LX's rear, side brake lights partly went
> out recently. Moving the bulb back and forth caused it to
> come on again. Then I found another socket and bulb where
> this was happening.
>
> Is there a clever way or tool to get some sand paper, a
> file, spray, or whatever into the socket to really scrape
> down the contacts and clean them?

Get a piece of wooden dowel small enough to get into the socket. Glue a
pice of fine sandpaper to the end of it and cut it to fit the dowel's
diameter. Interposing a thin sheet of foam between the dowe and the paper
will allow the paper to flex a bit for more contact with the studs.
Wrapping the sandpaper around the sides of the dowel will facilitate
cleaning the base's sides was well.

Use a bendy drinking straw to blow the dust out without getting it in your
face.

When reinstalling, smear a thin layer of white lithium grease all over the
bulb's metal base before installing to retard further corrosion.

A handy tip: Don't use bare brass-based bulbs as commonly found in the
aftermarket. It's worth it so seek out ones with the correct nickel-plated
bases as they resist corrosion for longer.

Original Koito and Stanley bulbs can be obtained he
http://www.candlepowerinc.com/
or
www.danielsternlighting.com

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 3rd 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

"TeGGeR®" > wrote
> When reinstalling, smear a thin layer of white lithium
> grease all over the
> bulb's metal base before installing to retard further
> corrosion.

I just want to double check, because I'm a little surprised.
You mean the stuff that one applies to car door hinges, hood
latches, etc., every couple of years or so, right? Not
dielectric grease? (Though it does make sense the white
lithium grease could protect against corrosion better.)

Brian, I did start going at the contacts with a small, worn
screwdriver but will try my super tiny jeweler's screwdriver
next.

I should have added that I think the spring mechanism that
assists holding the bulb in place has deformed both the
contacts within the socket as well as the bulb's contacts.

Tegger, the first lamp to fail (one of two of its filaments
failed, that is) was indeed brass. The other non-brass ones
are doing better but one is still iffy.

Dumb little thing, but one has gotta have good brake lights.

Thanks Tegger and Brian.

Old April 3rd 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

"Elle" > wrote in
.net:

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote
>> When reinstalling, smear a thin layer of white lithium
>> grease all over the
>> bulb's metal base before installing to retard further
>> corrosion.

> I just want to double check, because I'm a little surprised.
> You mean the stuff that one applies to car door hinges, hood
> latches, etc., every couple of years or so, right? Not
> dielectric grease? (Though it does make sense the white
> lithium grease could protect against corrosion better.)

Either one is fine. I use regular white grease on my contacts.

Old April 3rd 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Elle wrote:

> One of my 91 Civic LX's rear, side brake lights partly went
> out recently. Moving the bulb back and forth caused it to
> come on again. Then I found another socket and bulb where
> this was happening.
>
> Is there a clever way or tool to get some sand paper, a
> file, spray, or whatever into the socket to really scrape
> down the contacts and clean them?

----------------------------

Put a pen that has an eraser on it in your cordless drill. Burnish away.

'Curly'
Old April 4th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Here is a link to the "clever tool". This and some type of grease is
all you need!

Old April 5th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Elle wrote:
> One of my 91 Civic LX's rear, side brake lights partly went
> out recently. Moving the bulb back and forth caused it to
> come on again. Then I found another socket and bulb where
> this was happening.
>
> Is there a clever way or tool to get some sand paper, a
> file, spray, or whatever into the socket to really scrape
> down the contacts and clean them?

electrical contact cleaner, and your finger stuck in a rag.
Old April 7th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:

> Put a pen that has an eraser on it in your cordless drill. Burnish away.

That was gonna be my suggestion too. Pencil erasers are great for
cleaning electrical contacts.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0614-3, 04/07/2006
Tested on: 4/7/2006 10:36:06 AM

Old April 7th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

"Matt Ion" > wrote
> 'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
>
>> Put a pen that has an eraser on it in your cordless
>> drill. Burnish away.

> That was gonna be my suggestion too. Pencil erasers are
> great for cleaning electrical contacts.

All right, I'm sold. Next time...

So far my sand paper, blow, acetone cleaning, dielectric
grease, no brass fitting bulb, repair is working.