Removing city sticker

Old September 24th 05, 03:46 AM
LenS

Default Removing city sticker

My wife just got herself a new car and we're in the process of
transferring state and city licenses before we donate the old car to a
charity.

We've obtained transfer documents for the state plates and they've
been moved to the new car (the charity will pick up the old car so it
won't be driven platelessly in the street).

The problem, however, is the city sticker. The City of Des Plaines, in
its great wisdom, needs to get the remains of the old sticker before
they'll issue a new one for the low re-issue fee. The problem is
getting the old sticker off the windshield.

The sticker is the self-adhesive type that comes on a paper (or
something) sheet which is peeled off, revealing the adhesive. Usually
the only time one needs to remove the sticker is when it's time to put
on the next year's sticker, so the old one may be scraped off and
destroying the old sticker is no problem.

This time, however, the remains of the old sticker need to be taken to
the license office so they may view it. They particularly want to see
the number of the old sticker.

Now I realize that there's no standard sticker adhesive, but I
wondered if anyone has any ideas how to get the old sticker off in as
close to one piece as possible. A few years ago I went through the
same thing with my car and managed to get enough pieces off to
identify the old sticker and to see the number, but I don't remember
how I did it.

A neighbor has suggested heating the old sticker with a hair dryer
until it peels off, but I'm a little concerned about the heat damaging
the windshield.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

-Len

Old September 24th 05, 05:10 AM
Michael C De Vito

Hello Len, try to speak with a shop that replaces windshields they
remove and replace same stickers everyday. Mike de Vito

Old September 24th 05, 05:20 AM
wws

LenS wrote:
> My wife just got herself a new car and we're in the process of
> transferring state and city licenses before we donate the old car to a
> charity.
>
> We've obtained transfer documents for the state plates and they've
> been moved to the new car (the charity will pick up the old car so it
> won't be driven platelessly in the street).
>
> The problem, however, is the city sticker. The City of Des Plaines, in
> its great wisdom, needs to get the remains of the old sticker before
> they'll issue a new one for the low re-issue fee. The problem is
> getting the old sticker off the windshield.
>
> The sticker is the self-adhesive type that comes on a paper (or
> something) sheet which is peeled off, revealing the adhesive. Usually
> the only time one needs to remove the sticker is when it's time to put
> on the next year's sticker, so the old one may be scraped off and
> destroying the old sticker is no problem.
>
> This time, however, the remains of the old sticker need to be taken to
> the license office so they may view it. They particularly want to see
> the number of the old sticker.
>
> Now I realize that there's no standard sticker adhesive, but I
> wondered if anyone has any ideas how to get the old sticker off in as
> close to one piece as possible. A few years ago I went through the
> same thing with my car and managed to get enough pieces off to
> identify the old sticker and to see the number, but I don't remember
> how I did it.
>
> A neighbor has suggested heating the old sticker with a hair dryer
> until it peels off, but I'm a little concerned about the heat damaging
> the windshield.
>
> Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
>
> -Len

Think like a theif.
Get a single edge razor blade, go slow, and be real quiet.
Old September 24th 05, 02:43 PM
sdlomi2

"wws" > wrote in message ...
> LenS wrote:
>> My wife just got herself a new car and we're in the process of
>> transferring state and city licenses before we donate the old car to a
>> charity.
>>
>> We've obtained transfer documents for the state plates and they've
>> been moved to the new car (the charity will pick up the old car so it
>> won't be driven platelessly in the street).
>>
>> The problem, however, is the city sticker. The City of Des Plaines, in
>> its great wisdom, needs to get the remains of the old sticker before
>> they'll issue a new one for the low re-issue fee. The problem is
>> getting the old sticker off the windshield.
>>
>> The sticker is the self-adhesive type that comes on a paper (or
>> something) sheet which is peeled off, revealing the adhesive. Usually
>> the only time one needs to remove the sticker is when it's time to put
>> on the next year's sticker, so the old one may be scraped off and
>> destroying the old sticker is no problem.
>>
>> This time, however, the remains of the old sticker need to be taken to
>> the license office so they may view it. They particularly want to see
>> the number of the old sticker.
>>
>> Now I realize that there's no standard sticker adhesive, but I
>> wondered if anyone has any ideas how to get the old sticker off in as
>> close to one piece as possible. A few years ago I went through the
>> same thing with my car and managed to get enough pieces off to
>> identify the old sticker and to see the number, but I don't remember
>> how I did it.
>>
>> A neighbor has suggested heating the old sticker with a hair dryer
>> until it peels off, but I'm a little concerned about the heat damaging
>> the windshield.
>>
>> Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
>>
>> -Len
>>

> Think like a theif.
> Get a single edge razor blade, go slow, and be real quiet.

Works esp. well when held by a small pair of vise grip pliers...s

Old September 24th 05, 03:49 PM
ed

Heat it with a heat gun or be darn darn darn careful with a propane torch
very very lightly, then a a straight edge razor blade pressed flat in favor
of the glass and the decal will come off in one piece.
It really requires practice. Just be damn careful heating it if you use a
torch. You only want to soften it, NOT cook it or crack the glass etc.

Old September 24th 05, 04:00 PM
ed

duh yeah or a hair dryer...
Again, only soften the material.

Would a digital photo of the sticker be of any use? I guess those can be
faked so probably not.

Old September 24th 05, 06:05 PM
LenS

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:00:20 GMT, "ed"
> wrote:

>duh yeah or a hair dryer...
>Again, only soften the material.
>
>Would a digital photo of the sticker be of any use? I guess those can be
>faked so probably not.

The digital photo would be a good idea because the stickers go on the
driver side of the windshield, right above the VIN tag. Unfortunately
all the photo would prove is that there was a sticker on the original
car.

The friendly folks at the license office want to know that (1) there's
an old sticker AND (2) that it has been _removed_ from the car for
which it was issued.

Thanks for the comments.

-Len

Old September 25th 05, 01:01 PM

Most windshield shops use glass cleaner - spray liberally
and the sticker will fall off.

Old September 25th 05, 01:02 PM

Old September 25th 05, 02:31 PM
John S.

LenS wrote:
> My wife just got herself a new car and we're in the process of
> transferring state and city licenses before we donate the old car to a
> charity.
>
> We've obtained transfer documents for the state plates and they've
> been moved to the new car (the charity will pick up the old car so it
> won't be driven platelessly in the street).
>
> The problem, however, is the city sticker. The City of Des Plaines, in
> its great wisdom, needs to get the remains of the old sticker before
> they'll issue a new one for the low re-issue fee. The problem is
> getting the old sticker off the windshield.
>
> The sticker is the self-adhesive type that comes on a paper (or
> something) sheet which is peeled off, revealing the adhesive. Usually
> the only time one needs to remove the sticker is when it's time to put
> on the next year's sticker, so the old one may be scraped off and
> destroying the old sticker is no problem.
>
> This time, however, the remains of the old sticker need to be taken to
> the license office so they may view it. They particularly want to see
> the number of the old sticker.
>
> Now I realize that there's no standard sticker adhesive, but I
> wondered if anyone has any ideas how to get the old sticker off in as
> close to one piece as possible. A few years ago I went through the
> same thing with my car and managed to get enough pieces off to
> identify the old sticker and to see the number, but I don't remember
> how I did it.
>
> A neighbor has suggested heating the old sticker with a hair dryer
> until it peels off, but I'm a little concerned about the heat damaging
> the windshield.
>
> Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
>
> -Len

First try soaking it in water - that should do it. Otherwise 409 or a
similar cleaner will soften the glue, but you might end up with a mess.
Take a digital photo beforehand if you are worried.

Ya ready for diesel yet? Bret Ludwig Jeep 192 October 2nd 05 09:47 PM
removing LCD from '95 Bones Corvette 0 August 25th 05 03:04 PM
Travel Pilot DX - A4 - Jean-Max Audi 12 August 19th 05 05:39 PM
Removing axle on a 98 Grand Am [email protected] Technology 1 May 10th 05 07:36 PM
Houston's Mandatory Towing Program Sparks Anger MrPepper11 Driving 19 February 14th 05 03:32 AM