blinkerless driving in Florida

Old July 19th 05, 04:59 PM
Tim923

Default blinkerless driving in Florida

I'm originally from the northeast and have never seen so much
blinkerless driving.

I've been in Melbourne, Florida in Brevard County for a few months and
am having a hard time with all the cars that do not use blinkers. One
of the difficult situations is when I have to turn left on a green
light (with no arrow) and have to hesitate to find out what the
blinkerless car ahead of me intends to do. On I-95, cars will do quick
lane changes without blinkers in about a second even if there is no
reason to do so without much traffic. I was taught to make slow 2-4
second lane changes if there is low traffic and plenty of time.

Is this what it is like in much of the south?
Old July 19th 05, 05:13 PM
C. E. White

"Tim923" > wrote in message
> I'm originally from the northeast and have never seen so much
> blinkerless driving.
>
> I've been in Melbourne, Florida in Brevard County for a few months and
> am having a hard time with all the cars that do not use blinkers. One
> of the difficult situations is when I have to turn left on a green
> light (with no arrow) and have to hesitate to find out what the
> blinkerless car ahead of me intends to do. On I-95, cars will do quick
> lane changes without blinkers in about a second even if there is no
> reason to do so without much traffic. I was taught to make slow 2-4
> second lane changes if there is low traffic and plenty of time.
>
> Is this what it is like in much of the south?

Yes. Proabbly a good reason to go back up Norht.

Ed

Old July 19th 05, 05:44 PM
Tim923

Help me understand why cars wouldn't use blinkers on I-95 in Brevard
County when doing quick 1-second lane changes. It's effortless to use
a blinker and never hurts. Why not always use it? I've seen better
driving on I-95 in Connecticut near NYC.
Old July 19th 05, 06:43 PM
Eric Near

Tim923 wrote:
> I'm originally from the northeast and have never seen so much
> blinkerless driving.

<snip>

> Is this what it is like in much of the south?

I've noticed here in Southern Ohio and West Virginia that folks use
their blinkers, except when they are in a "turn-only" lane. I guess
they assume the blinker isn't needed when you're already in a lane
designated for that turn. What they don't seem to get is the nutty
drivers who don't realize they're in a turn only lane and then plow
ahead on green. No blinkers there, either...

Old July 19th 05, 07:26 PM
Arif Khokar

Eric Near wrote:

> I've noticed here in Southern Ohio and West Virginia that folks use
> their blinkers, except when they are in a "turn-only" lane. I guess
> they assume the blinker isn't needed when you're already in a lane
> designated for that turn.

It isn't. I don't see any reason why I have to be subjected to a
blinking light for the next 30 to 60 seconds while I'm waiting for the
green arrow.

> What they don't seem to get is the nutty
> drivers who don't realize they're in a turn only lane and then plow
> ahead on green.

I've never seen that happen. When I'm stopped at a red light, I set the
parking brake and let go of the foot brake. I haven't seen anyone come
close to rear ending me.
Old July 19th 05, 07:41 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Tim923 wrote:
> Help me understand why cars wouldn't use blinkers on I-95 in Brevard
> County when doing quick 1-second lane changes. It's effortless to use
> a blinker and never hurts. Why not always use it? I've seen better
> driving on I-95 in Connecticut near NYC.

Cause it wears out the damn multi-purpose blinker stalks and they cost
prolly a couple hunnert $.

Old July 20th 05, 01:02 AM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On 19 Jul 2005 11:41:10 -0700, "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend"
> was understood to have stated the following:

>Cause it wears out the damn multi-purpose blinker stalks and they cost
>prolly a couple hunnert $.

Gee, your mother would have to turn, what, 50 tricks if she had to
replace a $200 multi-purpose blinker stalks?

Old July 20th 05, 02:42 AM
David

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:59:41 UTC, Tim923 > wrote:

> I'm originally from the northeast and have never seen so much
> blinkerless driving.
>
> I've been in Melbourne, Florida in Brevard County for a few months and
> am having a hard time with all the cars that do not use blinkers. One
> of the difficult situations is when I have to turn left on a green
> light (with no arrow) and have to hesitate to find out what the
> blinkerless car ahead of me intends to do. On I-95, cars will do quick
> lane changes without blinkers in about a second even if there is no
> reason to do so without much traffic. I was taught to make slow 2-4
> second lane changes if there is low traffic and plenty of time.
>
> Is this what it is like in much of the south?

I grew up in the midwest and moved to Florida. Yes, I-95 in most
of Florida is rather hectic and full of non-signaling traffic. I-75
over on the other coast is a bit better, but only in terms of traffic
loads. Florida drivers don't signal much. After a while you get
used ot it and can tell by the jockeying where they want to go.
Remember to watch the front wheels and give them space.

You may also find that Florida drivers, can't see you or aren't
paying attention. This is usually their fault, but they seem to
have every right to merge into your lane and occupy your space.

Be very defensive in your driving. Sadly, it also means becomming
a bit more agressive in your own driving.

As for the general south, no it is not that bad elsewhere. I-95
and the main throughfares are full of people in a hurry and they
often make mistakes or were taught rules different than those from
other parts of the country.

On the good side, the posted speed limits are probably a good
suggestion at night. During the day, its a speedway. Be careful
though, some roads, like I-4 can go from 65 MPH to parking lot
in a few seconds. Be ready on the brakes too. In Florida, it is
always road construction season.

David
Old July 20th 05, 04:54 AM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

They always use blinkers here in WA state. Always. For miles and miles
driving straight down the road, blinking away.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Relax, its only ones and zeros!
Old July 20th 05, 06:12 AM
Bernard Farquart

"Tim923" > wrote in message
> I'm originally from the northeast and have never seen so much
> blinkerless driving.
>
> I've been in Melbourne, Florida in Brevard County for a few months and
> am having a hard time with all the cars that do not use blinkers. One
> of the difficult situations is when I have to turn left on a green
> light (with no arrow) and have to hesitate to find out what the
> blinkerless car ahead of me intends to do. On I-95, cars will do quick
> lane changes without blinkers in about a second even if there is no
> reason to do so without much traffic. I was taught to make slow 2-4
> second lane changes if there is low traffic and plenty of time.
>
> Is this what it is like in much of the south?

I live in South Seattle, and people use turn signals
in this part of the "south"

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
The increasing stress of driving Alexander Rogge Driving 17 July 14th 05 05:48 AM
New Driving Laws in Florida Tom in Missouri Corvette 14 May 16th 05 05:21 PM
Ford Researcher Says Teen Drivers are Easily Distracted From Driving James C. Reeves Driving 9 May 11th 05 08:31 PM
Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 December 31st 04 11:33 PM