Which wire is the positive headlight (at fusebox ) for 95 civic ?

Old April 19th 05, 04:22 AM
Tony Baker

Default Which wire is the positive headlight (at fusebox ) for 95 civic ?

I have a 95 Civic Dx hatchback that I'm adding some custom glow gauges . I
need to know which wire to tap into headlight low beam + positive at the
fusebox ( under the dash ) to hook my gauge positive wire to . The
directions that came with it weren't very specific .
Thanks in advance , TBaker

Old April 19th 05, 06:29 AM
Randolph

Tony Baker wrote:

> I have a 95 Civic Dx hatchback that I'm adding some custom glow gauges . I
> need to know which wire to tap into headlight low beam + positive at the
> fusebox ( under the dash ) to hook my gauge positive wire to . The
> directions that came with it weren't very specific .
> Thanks in advance , TBaker

By far the easiest is to change your plans and connect to the parking
lights instead, they are always on when the low beams are on (and when
the high beams are on). There is an options connector in the fuse box
just for that sort of use. See
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph...ivic_info.html

However, you probably have your reasons for wanting the low beams. There
is a bundle of fat wires going from the light switch on the steering
column down to the fuse box. For easy access, first remove the lower
dash cover (the plastic part that the fuse box lid sits on). It is
mounted with three screws along the top edge and hooked on a set of pins
at the bottom. Then remove the knee bolster (metal part you see after
removing the lower dash cover). One bolt on each side, then lift up and
towards you. It is hooked on a pair of metal tabs. It is not strictly
necessary to remove the bolster, but it is so easy to do and gives so
much better access you'll be glad you did. Now look for a fat wire, red
with a white stripe. That is the low beam wire BEFORE the fuses. If you
tap in here, be sure to use a wire tap designed for that large gauge of
wire so you don't damage the wires (i.e. you need the yellow ones, the
blue ones will cut strands in the wire). Also, be sure to put an in-line
fuse within inches of where you tap into the wire. I like the fuse
holders listed he http://tinyurl.com/3gwlw (leads to part number Part
Number 082-160 on http://www.partsexpress.com). Rather than using
regular wire taps (http://tinyurl.com/awhlg) I like
http://tinyurl.com/dwxc7, as you can easily disconnect when needed.

A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph

electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
Asphalt impregnated two conductor cloth covered wire Ironradio Antique cars 1 November 28th 04 01:42 PM
horn cable connections. spare brown wire!?? Spike VW air cooled 1 October 16th 04 02:51 PM
Does this sound like a bad starter? Dave K. General 14 April 8th 04 07:38 PM
Help with Positive Ground issues thunderbeast Antique cars 5 March 28th 04 07:51 AM