undercoating

Old March 6th 05, 06:56 AM
DaveW

DougW wrote:

> montanajeeper did pass the time by typing:
>
>>my rubicon hasnt arrived yet but my dealership was preparing my
>>paperwork so that we could get everything done in advance. he asked if
>>i wanted the undercoating/detail for $162. he said they undercoat the
>>entire undercarraige and then detail/wax the jeep. i dont care about
>>the waxing part, but im wondering if the undercoat they do is worth
>>doing or if its a waste of $162. thanks.

> IMHO, a waste of money.
> Cars come factory undercoated and in several cases adding
> addional undercoating voids the factory rust warantee.
> Besides which, all they do is rattle-can on undercoating you
> could do yourself for $30 or less.
>
> As for waxing, that's pure bull****. The dealer should detail
> your car for delivery as a part of the service. Seriously, clean
> it yourself, that way some lowbuck trainee doesn't scratch the
> paint before you can.

Undercoating I can understand, though I'm certainly not sure that it is
a good deal, as priced. Waxing should be left until the vehicle is a few
months old. Ask any auto painter and they will tell you not to wax until
the paint has outgassed for a few weeks.

Regards,

DAve
Old March 6th 05, 11:58 AM
HarryS

I used this stuff inside and out, did my entire tub, undercoated my
undercarriage and used POR15 inside my doors and window frame.
http://www.herculiner.com/ I put 3 coats in the tub and two coats
underneath it costs around $150.00 I did not use the rollers or stuff that
came with the kit I used a stenciling brush which worked better. Just follow
the directions on prep if you don't you will regret it. It took me a whole
weekend plus Monday after work to put everything back together. I get a lot
of complements on the job I even did the door sills it also helps insulate
and reduce road noise. I removed all the carpeting out of the Sahara which
really works out well. When I was in the USCG I did the same thing with a
vinyl paint we used on buoys inside and out when I sold the CJ 20 years
later no rust. Maintenance and being anal are the keys for a long life in
any vehicle. I had a 1973 Toyota PU that I bought new and when I sold it 22
years later with 500,000 miles on it no rust (buoy paint) and the engine
only burned 1 qt of oil between changes.

HarryS

Old March 6th 05, 03:56 PM
Snow

Sandman.. drive North my boy.. Visit the Wilds of Canada and while your here
go visit either a Rust Check shop or Krown. I cant speak for Krown but Rust
Check carries their own warranty on rust through for new cars and NO it
doesn't void the manufactures. Your Jeep might cost you about $115-145 Cdn
due to its new and never been done before.. they drill holes (yes holes) in
your doors, lower pillars and rockers if the factory hasn't. The Gent I use
here in Ontario has a big contract with two cities for their fire
departments, the police contract, local utilities, a local Ford dealer sends
customers there too and every Dec. 6 he does Santa's ride this year it was a
nice new 05 stang (local dealer supplied it providing it got sprayed for
free).
http://www.rustcheck.com/
http://www.krown.com/

Snow...

ups.com...

Old March 6th 05, 04:49 PM
HarryS

Old March 6th 05, 05:01 PM
twaldron

Sure it is. They just don't want you to think so and they get to charge
you more money.

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> "twaldron" > wrote in message
>>waxing is part of Dealer Prep and is included in the MSRP.

> i dont think that applies if youre paying green sheet. they even charge you
> $15 for the gas that comes in the tank, undertandably.

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old March 6th 05, 09:22 PM
twaldron

If they don't salt, why would you need the undercoating? Your sheet
metal is zinc'd at the factory.

Old March 6th 05, 09:48 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"twaldron" > wrote in message
> If they don't salt, why would you need the undercoating? Your sheet metal
> is zinc'd at the factory.

hell i dunno....i never gave it a any thought before the dealer asked me if
i wanted it.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 6th 05, 09:59 PM
Will Honea

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 06:56:57 UTC DaveW >
wrote:

> DougW wrote:
>
> > montanajeeper did pass the time by typing:
> >
> >>my rubicon hasnt arrived yet but my dealership was preparing my
> >>paperwork so that we could get everything done in advance. he asked if
> >>i wanted the undercoating/detail for $162. he said they undercoat the
> >>entire undercarraige and then detail/wax the jeep. i dont care about
> >>the waxing part, but im wondering if the undercoat they do is worth
> >>doing or if its a waste of $162. thanks.

> > IMHO, a waste of money.
> > Cars come factory undercoated and in several cases adding
> > addional undercoating voids the factory rust warantee.
> > Besides which, all they do is rattle-can on undercoating you
> > could do yourself for $30 or less.
> >
> > As for waxing, that's pure bull****. The dealer should detail
> > your car for delivery as a part of the service. Seriously, clean
> > it yourself, that way some lowbuck trainee doesn't scratch the
> > paint before you can.
> >

> Undercoating I can understand, though I'm certainly not sure that it is
> a good deal, as priced. Waxing should be left until the vehicle is a few
> months old. Ask any auto painter and they will tell you not to wax until
> the paint has outgassed for a few weeks.

By the time he finnaly gets it delivered to West Nowhere (Billings),
the paint will have had time to outgas form the sound of it <g>.

Nate, you still local to Billings? Wife says we have to run up there
soon - grandkids need spoiling.

--
Will Honea
Old March 6th 05, 11:17 PM
Lon

Nathan W. Collier proclaimed:

> "Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
>
>>keep in mind that since you have snow all winter (as do I) your TJ will
>>see salted roads all winter

> im lucky in that respect. montana doesnt use salt, instead they put out
> dirt and gravel.
>

>>skip the undercoating and power-wash the underside of the Jeep every month
>>in winter.

> definately. ive always washed my undercarraige with more care than my body
> panels. im working on installing a floor drain in my garage for that very
> reason.

I'd check with any local undercoating shops in the area for what they
charge and what they use. Some folks prefer the waxy style, some the
more tacky tar style.

Old March 7th 05, 03:37 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

In that case...save your money for the stuff you are really going to want...