'02 L200 just laid down on the highway

Old December 12th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

Default '02 L200 just laid down on the highway

Buying the extended insurance is a crap-shoot. Most times it isn't worth the
money. You just saved big-time with this repair even if the glass repair had
to come out of your own pocket. Buy a lottery ticket while you're at it...

news

Old December 12th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "S. Barker" > wrote:
>yes, my extended policy covers the engine including timing belt/chain.
>There's not much on the list it doesn't cover except normal wear items like
>brakes and belts.

I take it you mean extended *warranty*.

--
Regards,

Old December 12th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
S. Barker

I always buy the extended plans on items over say $500. And i always make
them pay off. I haven't bought an inkjet printer since 1990, and have had 7
since then. I haven't bought a digital camera since '94 and have had 3.
Believe me, if i buy an extended plan, i don't lose money. Although i had
nothing to do with this timing chain breaking. I'd just as soon be driving
the car actually.

Old December 12th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
S. Barker

It's actually a third party service plan purchased with the used vehicle. I
rekon you could call it what you want.

Old December 13th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Son_Worshipper

On Dec 12, 1:02 pm, "S. Barker" > wrote:
> It's actually a third party service plan purchased with the used vehicle. I
> rekon you could call it what you want.

> "Doug Miller" > wrote in message

> > In article >, "S. Barker"
> > > wrote:
> >>yes, my extended policy covers the engine including timing belt/chain.
> >>There's not much on the list it doesn't cover except normal wear items
> >>like
> >>brakes and belts.

> > I take it you mean extended *warranty*.

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

> > It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.

Back to the windshield. Did you check your comprehensive insurance.
Mine covers glass with zero deductible. While changing a wiper blade,
I let the wiper arm hit the windshield and is broke. I called the
insurance company and they sent someone to my house to fix it the next
day - at no cost to me.
Old December 14th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
S. Barker

ya, i called my agent first to review my policy. it's a $1,000 deductible.
the windshield was $208. It's done. and the car is at the saturn dealer
now getting new timing chains and a cylinder head assembly for a $25
deductible.

Old December 15th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
David Teichholtz[_2_]

S. Barker wrote:
> I always buy the extended plans on items over say $500. And i always make
> them pay off. I haven't bought an inkjet printer since 1990, and have had 7

<snip>

I almost never buy an extended plan, but then again I don't buy very
much stuff. ;-)

Two years ago my wife bought an extended plan on a Dell printer because
the plan was very inexpensive, I think on the order of $10. It has paid
off twice.

We also bought a new Civic Hybrid in April. An 8 year 120,000 mile
extended warranty was $980. I figure in 8 years or 120,000 miles at
least one component which will cost that will need replacement.

-David
Old December 18th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)[_85_]

All I can say is I don't know who you buy your inkjets from, but I've had
mine for the better part of 7 or more years (Canon i850) and it hasn't let
me down once. Nor has my dads 'retired' LaserJet III that's still kicking
today. I still sport some of the fastest prints and cheapest inks. Maybe
instead of throwing your money and time away trying to exercise extended
warranties you should just find quality products instead.

Just my two cents.
-Brian

Old December 18th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
S. Barker

I"m still using the HP895 csi. I would hardly call any canon inkjet printer
a 'quality' product.

Old December 18th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
S. Barker

Default '02 L200 just laid down on the highway UPDATE

Had it towed in to the saturn dealer. They confirmed the broken chain diag.
They proceeded to further inspect the upper end for valve damage and found 4
bent valves. They then proceeded to install a remanufactured head and new
timing chain. They called me today to tell me they got it running, and were
test driving it when one of the valves in the newly remanufactured head
'fell in' and proceeded to destroy the entire engine. SATURN (not my third
party agreement) is now paying to install a new complete engine assembly.
They'll call when it's done.