2002 Explorer front end grinding

Old December 30th 04, 01:48 AM
dosouth

Default 2002 Explorer front end grinding

I am now experiencing a grinding on the front end at low spped turning
right or left but particularly right. Would anyone have any clue, this is
not a disc brake grinding it sounds and feels more in the trans itself.
65000 miles.

Old December 30th 04, 08:52 AM
Big Bill

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:48:42 -0500, "dosouth" >
wrote:

>I am now experiencing a grinding on the front end at low spped turning
>right or left but particularly right. Would anyone have any clue, this is
>not a disc brake grinding it sounds and feels more in the trans itself.
>65000 miles.

4X4?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 30th 04, 09:42 PM
Kevin D

Are you certain that this is not due to the brakes? Before I would do
anything else, I'd inspect the front brakes just to be sure that they're not
the source of the problem.

A couple of years ago, I had a sticking right front caliper. In no time at
all, the pads were worn down to the metal, and the disc rotor was scored
beyond hope. There was a loud grinding sound that I could feel as well as
hear, and the sound happened whether or not I applied the brakes, although
that changed it somewhat.

If you've already inspected the rotors and are certain that this is not
brake-related, it would probably help to know if you have an automatic or a
manual transmission.

Kevin

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 31st 04, 05:46 AM
John Riggs

CV joint binding up or needing attention ?
Have you got a manual for your EB. I have a Chilton and a Haynes ( really
prefer the Chilton's ), and it gives you all sorts of things to look for.

Old December 31st 04, 05:37 PM
Big Bill

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:31:04 -0800, SoCalExplorer
> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:52:40 -0700, Big Bill > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:48:42 -0500, "dosouth" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I am now experiencing a grinding on the front end at low spped turning
>>>right or left but particularly right. Would anyone have any clue, this is
>>>not a disc brake grinding it sounds and feels more in the trans itself.
>>>65000 miles.

>>4X4?

>Hi Bill
>I'e got a 4x4, a 91 Eddie Bauer and recently noticed a clicking, sort
>of like a playing card in bicycle spokes, sound in the drivers side
>front wheel when in 4x high. Any idea what this may be? This sound
>occurs while driving straight, not sure about turning as i dropped it
>back to 2x when I heard it.
> It has limited slip front and rear. The sound goes away when taken
>out of 4x.
>Thanks in advance for any info.

Sounds like it might be a CV joint going bad.
There are other things it could be, though, and short of actually
getting your hands (or someone else's hands) dirty, we're only
speculating. But the fact that it goes away when taken out of 4WD
would indicate a problem in the driveline, and the CV joint is a prime
suspect.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old January 1st 05, 03:11 AM
dosouth

Thanks for all the posts. Sorry I had been away. You know the CV joint
might be the culprit. My 2002 is an AWD with Auto 4 high and 4 low. This
grinding happens with about 5-10 minutes of road time either at high or in
town speeds in AWD and doesn't go away if I switch into 4 high or 4 low.

I have a feeling that the CV is not cheap to repair but it is not the
brakes as I had them off and have had back plates and calipers catch
before on other vehicles....all your input is appreciated.

Old January 14th 05, 01:04 AM
John Riggs

Good boy! I have a '92, and thankfully I haven't had that issue yet, so
I wasn't sure what was used on the front axle, but since I've been working
on family and neighbors' vehicles with similar issues, it sounded right. I
had to replace a rear universal....front didn't appear to need it...no point
replacing a good part, and it appears that the rear had been replaced once
already, since it had grease zircs and was dry as a popcorn fart.

Universals instead of CV joints? What were they thinking?

"SoCalExplorer" > wrote in message
| On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:46:13 -0600, "John Riggs"
| > wrote:
|
| >CV joint binding up or needing attention ?
| >Have you got a manual for your EB. I have a Chilton and a Haynes ( really
| >prefer the Chilton's ), and it gives you all sorts of things to look for.
| >

| >"SoCalExplorer" > wrote in message
| .. .
| >| On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:52:40 -0700, Big Bill > wrote:
| >|

| >is

| >|

Old January 14th 05, 10:09 PM

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT bought it with 19000 and the trans went at
21000 ford changed it and then at 36000 they had to replace it again
they never said it straight out but the did say that there will be a
recall for the 2002 explorer trans I also experance a problem when
backing up there is a grinding noise coming from the right front wheel
area....