'97 SL2 shakes on slowdown

Old October 18th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
JimR[_2_]

Default '97 SL2 shakes on slowdown

1997 SL2 1.9 L manual transmission, 186000 miles

For the last several months, when I decelerate to a stop in normal
traffic, frequently the engine shakes violently. This happens as the
engine approaches idle speed, in or around 1100 - 1200 rpm. It happens
frequently, but not every time.

I went in yesterday for service, and the dealer scanned code P0341.
They removed the ignition module and cleaned the coil grounds. However,
that did not help.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim
Old October 18th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

On Oct 17, 7:43 pm, JimR > wrote:
> 1997 SL2 1.9 L manual transmission, 186000 miles
>
> For the last several months, when I decelerate to a stop in normal
> traffic, frequently the engine shakes violently. This happens as the
> engine approaches idle speed, in or around 1100 - 1200 rpm. It happens
> frequently, but not every time.
>
> I went in yesterday for service, and the dealer scanned code P0341.
> They removed the ignition module and cleaned the coil grounds. However,
> that did not help.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

that code is crankshaft sensor out of range.. which could also be
caused by bad spark plug wires...
????
Did you take it to saturn??

Old October 19th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
JimR[_2_]

wrote:

> On Oct 17, 7:43 pm, JimR > wrote:
>> 1997 SL2 1.9 L manual transmission, 186000 miles
>>
>> For the last several months, when I decelerate to a stop in normal
>> traffic, frequently the engine shakes violently. This happens as the
>> engine approaches idle speed, in or around 1100 - 1200 rpm. It happens
>> frequently, but not every time.
>>
>> I went in yesterday for service, and the dealer scanned code P0341.
>> They removed the ignition module and cleaned the coil grounds. However,
>> that did not help.
>>
>> Anybody have any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim

> that code is crankshaft sensor out of range.. which could also be
> caused by bad spark plug wires...
> ????
> Did you take it to saturn??

Yes, that was from the Saturn dealer. I've been dealing with them since
I bought the car and I have been reasonably happy with the service.

There were 2 codes, but they only noted the P0314 on the bill. I think
the other one was 300 (P0300?), which he told me meant a misfire.

The plug wires were from AutoZone, and are probably 2 years old. They
were supposed to be "guaranteed for life". Are those claims legit, or
are they marketing BS? For the sake of 35 or 40 bux, should I just
replace them to see if that cures the problem?

Thanks,

Jim
Old October 19th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

On Oct 18, 9:39 pm, JimR > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 17, 7:43 pm, JimR > wrote:
> >> 1997 SL2 1.9 L manual transmission, 186000 miles

> >> For the last several months, when I decelerate to a stop in normal
> >> traffic, frequently the engine shakes violently. This happens as the
> >> engine approaches idle speed, in or around 1100 - 1200 rpm. It happens
> >> frequently, but not every time.

> >> I went in yesterday for service, and the dealer scanned code P0341.
> >> They removed the ignition module and cleaned the coil grounds. However,
> >> that did not help.

> >> Anybody have any suggestions?

> >> Thanks,

> >> Jim

> > that code is crankshaft sensor out of range.. which could also be
> > caused by bad spark plug wires...
> > ????
> > Did you take it to saturn??

> Yes, that was from the Saturn dealer. I've been dealing with them since
> I bought the car and I have been reasonably happy with the service.
>
> There were 2 codes, but they only noted the P0314 on the bill. I think
> the other one was 300 (P0300?), which he told me meant a misfire.
>
> The plug wires were from AutoZone, and are probably 2 years old. They
> were supposed to be "guaranteed for life". Are those claims legit, or
> are they marketing BS? For the sake of 35 or 40 bux, should I just
> replace them to see if that cures the problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim- Hide quoted text -

I would replace the wires.. chances are it is wire going to plug 4. I
put the cheap ones on from carquest.. they are about $29. I'm do
also.. I change them every 50k along wth tranny fluid which in my case
is only 2.6 qts because I have a stick.
Phil

Old October 21st 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
JimR[_2_]

JimR wrote:

> 1997 SL2 1.9 L manual transmission, 186000 miles
>
> For the last several months, when I decelerate to a stop in normal
> traffic, frequently the engine shakes violently. This happens as the
> engine approaches idle speed, in or around 1100 - 1200 rpm. It happens
> frequently, but not every time.
>
> I went in yesterday for service, and the dealer scanned code P0341.
> They removed the ignition module and cleaned the coil grounds. However,
> that did not help.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

I just read a thread on Saturnfans.com that sounds kind of like this.
The problem mentioned there was a dirty EGR valve. Cleaning it seems to
make some improvements in problems such as rough idle.

Jim again
Old October 21st 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

On Oct 20, 6:40 pm, JimR > wrote:
> JimR wrote:
>
> > 1997 SL2 1.9 L manual transmission, 186000 miles

> > For the last several months, when I decelerate to a stop in normal
> > traffic, frequently the engine shakes violently. This happens as the
> > engine approaches idle speed, in or around 1100 - 1200 rpm. It happens
> > frequently, but not every time.

> > I went in yesterday for service, and the dealer scanned code P0341.
> > They removed the ignition module and cleaned the coil grounds. However,
> > that did not help.

> > Anybody have any suggestions?

> > Thanks,

> > Jim

> I just read a thread on Saturnfans.com that sounds kind of like this.
> The problem mentioned there was a dirty EGR valve. Cleaning it seems to
> make some improvements in problems such as rough idle.
>
> Jim again- Hide quoted text -

but the egr will throw a completely diffrent code.. I would stay with
wires.. I found that my #4 wire wasn;t seated fully at the coil..
problem went away.. worse case would have been wires ($29) and
cameshaft sensor ($12)
Phil

Old October 21st 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

On Oct 20, 6:40 pm, JimR > wrote:
> JimR wrote:
>
> > 1997 SL2 1.9 L manual transmission, 186000 miles

> > For the last several months, when I decelerate to a stop in normal
> > traffic, frequently the engine shakes violently. This happens as the
> > engine approaches idle speed, in or around 1100 - 1200 rpm. It happens
> > frequently, but not every time.

> > I went in yesterday for service, and the dealer scanned code P0341.
> > They removed the ignition module and cleaned the coil grounds. However,
> > that did not help.

> > Anybody have any suggestions?

> > Thanks,

> > Jim

> I just read a thread on Saturnfans.com that sounds kind of like this.
> The problem mentioned there was a dirty EGR valve. Cleaning it seems to
> make some improvements in problems such as rough idle.
>
> Jim again- Hide quoted text -

oh, about the egr valve.. you don't clean them you replace them..
cleaning one's problem will just retun... root problem is too much
cabon in engine which requires decarbonizing the engine.

Old October 25th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
JimR[_2_]

wrote:

> On Oct 20, 6:40 pm, JimR > wrote:
>> JimR wrote:
>>
>>> 1997 SL2 1.9 L manual transmission, 186000 miles
>>> For the last several months, when I decelerate to a stop in normal
>>> traffic, frequently the engine shakes violently. This happens as the
>>> engine approaches idle speed, in or around 1100 - 1200 rpm. It happens
>>> frequently, but not every time.
>>> I went in yesterday for service, and the dealer scanned code P0341.
>>> They removed the ignition module and cleaned the coil grounds. However,
>>> that did not help.
>>> Anybody have any suggestions?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim

>> I just read a thread on Saturnfans.com that sounds kind of like this.
>> The problem mentioned there was a dirty EGR valve. Cleaning it seems to
>> make some improvements in problems such as rough idle.
>>
>> Jim again- Hide quoted text -

> but the egr will throw a completely diffrent code.. I would stay with
> wires.. I found that my #4 wire wasn;t seated fully at the coil..
> problem went away.. worse case would have been wires ($29) and
> cameshaft sensor ($12)
> Phil

Thanks Phil, that sounds like good advice. I will try it as soon as I
get a few spare minutes.

Jim

A6 shakes after long run Tony Audi 6 March 22nd 07 07:33 AM
Shakes at 50+mph after snowstorm [email protected] Technology 11 February 16th 07 06:41 AM
engine shakes wawa_bmw via CarKB.com BMW 0 March 9th 06 08:35 PM
02 SC1 shakes Gif J. Peg Saturn 1 October 28th 05 06:45 PM
Shakes Princess418 VW water cooled 4 June 21st 05 07:36 AM