94 EB 4X4 Driver Seatbelt problem

Old November 9th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

Default 94 EB 4X4 Driver Seatbelt problem

94 4x4 EB Explorer. Driver side seat belt has been a pain in
the rear to use over the last year. Hard to pull out...doesn't
retract automatically sometimes.....etc.

Today tried to use it and I could not pull it out any. I am unable in
other words to use the seatbelt. It is stuck.

2 questions.

Never had to replace a seatbelt before so..... I assume I have to buy
the seatbelt...there is no warranty involved with an item like that
which is 13 years old.

Is there any maintenance I can perform on the existing seat belt to
get it operational ?

Thanks,

Sam in Raleigh.
Old November 9th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Sam wrote:
> 94 4x4 EB Explorer. Driver side seat belt has been a pain in
> the rear to use over the last year. Hard to pull out...doesn't
> retract automatically sometimes.....etc.
>
> Today tried to use it and I could not pull it out any. I am unable in
> other words to use the seatbelt. It is stuck.
>
> 2 questions.
>
> Never had to replace a seatbelt before so..... I assume I have to buy
> the seatbelt...there is no warranty involved with an item like that
> which is 13 years old.

A junkyard would be a good bet. They surely used the same belt in other
models, like the Ranger pickup, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a
good one, and it won't cost you much.
Look for a vehicle with a head-impact on the windshield. The seatbelt
in one like that should be like new. ;-)

> Is there any maintenance I can perform on the existing seat belt to
> get it operational ?

If you're going to take it out anyway, you'll probably see what's wrong
with it. I'm guessing it's twisted or maybe the mechanism that locks it
has stuck. May just need cleaning and lubrication.
-Paul

Old November 9th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

Hey thanks for you reply. I think I am going to take a look at it
this evening or this weekend.

Whether I replace it fix it...both require the same procedure to get
to it so I guess while I am at it I will see if there is anything I
can fix.

>I'm guessing it's twisted or maybe the mechanism that locks it
>has stuck. May just need cleaning and lubrication.
>-Paul

It is definetely stuck as it will neither retract or extend. It would
not be so bad if it was stuck fully extended so at least I can look
like I am wearing it for the police. It is fully retracted and stuck
in that position.

-Sam in Raleigh.

E39 Driver Door lock problem [email protected] BMW 0 May 31st 06 04:49 PM
99 civic ex coupe lock problem; can't lock the driver side door. [email protected] Honda 1 January 20th 06 08:55 PM
Driver 's door key lock problem RZ BMW 2 December 31st 05 07:19 AM
81 Seatbelt retractor problem Steve Corvette 5 November 15th 05 08:27 PM
'90 Civic auto seatbelt + dashboard lights problem [email protected] Honda 1 November 14th 05 04:05 PM