Door ajar circuit / module for 1987 Accord 3Dr LXI

Old May 22nd 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Randy

Default Door ajar circuit / module for 1987 Accord 3Dr LXI

I'm trying to find a wiring diagram, circuit, or the location of the
Door Ajar Warning Module in a 1987 Accord LXI 3Dr. I have the factory
service manual, several supplements, etc. and none show this system
nor its parts. I do know it's not the Integrated controller - as
disconnecting it completely does not affect the problem. Here is what
is happening... At first - it was intermittent - now full time. With
all doors closed, the safety indicator, dome and courtesy lights are
all off - as they should be. However - there is an indicator in the
top row of lights in the instrument cluster that says DOOR - and it's
lit. Opening, closing doors causes the appropriate response from the
safety indicator and the dome/courtesy lights - but the DOOR light
remains lit. When you start driving - one you reach 10MPH - the left
upper seatbelt light, and the seatbelt reminder lights start flashing
- and the beeper in the upper seatbelt reminder light assembly (just
aft of the rear-view mirror) beeps along with the flashing lights.
This can only be stopped by turning off the ignition. However -
turning on the ignition and starting off = the cycle repeats itself.
None of the manuals (1986, 1986 supplement, 1987 factory (physical),
1987 supplement, 1988 supplement shows anything related to this
circuit - including the wiring harness to the reminder unit at the
rear-view mirror, the 10MPH "switch" on the speedometer, (I have a
spare speedometer and it also has that opto-switch); nor any module
that controls the DOOR warning light in the instrument panel (separate
light from the safety indicator between the fuel and temp gauges).

Anyone know where that "module" is? wiring diagram? schematic? Any
help would be appreciated - as we've had to disconnect the upper
reminder unit to shut up the beeps...

TIA!!!!
randy...
Old May 22nd 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/22/2010 12:41 PM, Randy wrote:
> I'm trying to find a wiring diagram, circuit, or the location of the
> Door Ajar Warning Module in a 1987 Accord LXI 3Dr. I have the factory
> service manual, several supplements, etc. and none show this system
> nor its parts. I do know it's not the Integrated controller - as
> disconnecting it completely does not affect the problem. Here is what
> is happening... At first - it was intermittent - now full time. With
> all doors closed, the safety indicator, dome and courtesy lights are
> all off - as they should be. However - there is an indicator in the
> top row of lights in the instrument cluster that says DOOR - and it's
> lit. Opening, closing doors causes the appropriate response from the
> safety indicator and the dome/courtesy lights - but the DOOR light
> remains lit. When you start driving - one you reach 10MPH - the left
> upper seatbelt light, and the seatbelt reminder lights start flashing
> - and the beeper in the upper seatbelt reminder light assembly (just
> aft of the rear-view mirror) beeps along with the flashing lights.
> This can only be stopped by turning off the ignition. However -
> turning on the ignition and starting off = the cycle repeats itself.
> None of the manuals (1986, 1986 supplement, 1987 factory (physical),
> 1987 supplement, 1988 supplement shows anything related to this
> circuit - including the wiring harness to the reminder unit at the
> rear-view mirror, the 10MPH "switch" on the speedometer, (I have a
> spare speedometer and it also has that opto-switch); nor any module
> that controls the DOOR warning light in the instrument panel (separate
> light from the safety indicator between the fuel and temp gauges).
>
> Anyone know where that "module" is? wiring diagram? schematic? Any
> help would be appreciated - as we've had to disconnect the upper
> reminder unit to shut up the beeps...
>
> TIA!!!!
> randy...

does sound like it could be the controller module. not sure of location
on the accord, but on the civics, it's a gray box plugged into the back
of the interior fuse box under the dash. comes out easily if you know
which tabs to press. the module box comes apart easily with care too.
try re-soldering all the joints and see if that helps. it helps main
relay problems and clock display fading problems.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 22nd 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Randy

On Sat, 22 May 2010 13:26:07 -0700, jim beam > wrote:

>does sound like it could be the controller module. not sure of location
>on the accord, but on the civics, it's a gray box plugged into the back
>of the interior fuse box under the dash. comes out easily if you know
>which tabs to press.

Just trying to figure out *which* module it is... this accord is
loaded (only options it doesn't have is the electronic instrument
package and the sun roof) so there are modules stuck everywhere. I
fact we're trying to make an "inventory" of modules we can identify -
and see what we have "left over"... but with more than two dozen
"boxes" scattered all over the car... I'm hoping someone "knows"...

>the module box comes apart easily with care too.
>try re-soldering all the joints and see if that helps. it helps main
>relay problems and clock display fading problems.

Been there, done that - radio, stop light sensor relays (all five);
power lock relay (oops that was in the '91); main relay (I doubt
there's an 87 still running with it's original/un-repaired relay ;>)
). But yeah, not at all shy about soldering "stuff" - but I'd rather
not pull stuff that isn't part of the problem. I'm quite sure some of
that stuff was installed in layers as the car was assembled - with
little thought to fixing it later... I know the guys at the local
Honda dealership cringe when they see my 87 roll in... an then
relieved to see me heading for the parts counter...

Anyway - thanks for your suggestions...
best regards...
rg.
Old May 24th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Randy

Default Door ajar circuit / module for 1987 Accord 3Dr LXI - problem fixed.

An interesting experience. 1st I find out my 1987 Accord LXI Hatchback
in one of a handful "just like it". Being one of the last made - they
have a bunch of 1988 "stuff" in them - and you really need a 1988
manual for that "stuff".

As a result - not even the local Honda dealer's 1987 parts system
covers those portions of the car - either.

I'm posting this for others who might have be putting up with that
incessant beep beep beeping - and finding no help in actually fixing
the problem - rather than just disconnecting the beeper (which is
indeed at the rear-view mirror).

Here's what it turned out to be: the second "door switch" in the
driver's door. There is a "door latch" switch in the door jamb - it
has nothing to do with this issue (and was working fine). There is
also a switch in the door locking mechanism inside the door. This is
not documented in any of the 1987 Accord service info - certainly not
on the wiring diagrams, cable routing sheets, etc.

This switch is part of the Automatic Seat Belt retractor tensioning
system - which is really a 1988 "thing" - but as noted - (obviously)
some 1987s wound up with the system as well. The seat belt tension
control "box" is under the passenger seat - and controls the "take-up"
of the seatbelts under certain circumstances. Since extra "stuff" had
to be added to control these automatic belts - Honda also added the
extra seatbelt reminders (upper "console" w/beeper) and the Door Ajar
warning light.

In this case - it was a "sluggish" switch in the internal lock
mechanism that was causing the problem. Oiling the system down
(Hammond Organ light non-gumming oil) fixed the problem.

best to all!
randy

Door Ajar Nicole Ford Explorer 5 February 3rd 06 10:32 PM
door ajar light j Ford Explorer 3 October 21st 05 05:31 AM
"door ajar"-'95 Caravan fpb Dodge 9 February 3rd 05 12:20 AM
door ajar anchorhd Ford Explorer 1 December 3rd 04 03:51 PM
"Door ajar" FREDK DOR BULMAN Dodge 8 October 24th 04 06:29 PM