undercoating

Old March 5th 05, 10:36 PM

Default undercoating

my rubicon hasnt arrived yet but my dealership was preparing my
paperwork so that we could get everything done in advance. he asked if
i wanted the undercoating/detail for $162. he said they undercoat the
entire undercarraige and then detail/wax the jeep. i dont care about
the waxing part, but im wondering if the undercoat they do is worth
doing or if its a waste of $162. thanks.

Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

Old March 5th 05, 11:03 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Sandman,
I'd would let them do it. Maybe quiz the guy that will be doing it,
to make sure he doesn't spray any of the cases causing any overheating
problem that will destroy their lubricants. Making sure he doesn't close
any body drain holes. And look, Daimler doesn't bother to paint the
undercarriage: http://7slotgrille.com/tech/sye2/index.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 6th 05, 04:26 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

keep in mind that since you have snow all winter (as do I) your TJ will see
salted roads all winter, as does mine. Bill's pictures are referring to a TJ
that had already seen 4 Michigan winters when those pics were taken. If the
undercoating has gaps or open bubbles, salt will collect in those spots. My
advice, skip the undercoating and power-wash the underside of the Jeep every
month in winter.

http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 6th 05, 04:38 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
> keep in mind that since you have snow all winter (as do I) your TJ will
> see salted roads all winter

im lucky in that respect. montana doesnt use salt, instead they put out
dirt and gravel.

> skip the undercoating and power-wash the underside of the Jeep every month
> in winter.

definately. ive always washed my undercarraige with more care than my body
panels. im working on installing a floor drain in my garage for that very
reason.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 6th 05, 09:22 PM
twaldron

If they don't salt, why would you need the undercoating? Your sheet
metal is zinc'd at the factory.

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> "Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
>
>>keep in mind that since you have snow all winter (as do I) your TJ will
>>see salted roads all winter

> im lucky in that respect. montana doesnt use salt, instead they put out
> dirt and gravel.

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old March 6th 05, 09:48 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"twaldron" > wrote in message
> If they don't salt, why would you need the undercoating? Your sheet metal
> is zinc'd at the factory.

hell i dunno....i never gave it a any thought before the dealer asked me if
i wanted it.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 6th 05, 11:17 PM
Lon

Nathan W. Collier proclaimed:

> "Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
>
>>keep in mind that since you have snow all winter (as do I) your TJ will
>>see salted roads all winter

> im lucky in that respect. montana doesnt use salt, instead they put out
> dirt and gravel.
>

>>skip the undercoating and power-wash the underside of the Jeep every month
>>in winter.

> definately. ive always washed my undercarraige with more care than my body
> panels. im working on installing a floor drain in my garage for that very
> reason.

I'd check with any local undercoating shops in the area for what they
charge and what they use. Some folks prefer the waxy style, some the
more tacky tar style.

Old March 7th 05, 05:08 AM
Eric

> im lucky in that respect. montana doesnt use salt, instead they put out
> dirt and gravel.

Well, maybe lucky. Get a bra and/or bug deflector for the front. Oh, and
keep a good distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
Otherwise, by the time summer gets around you'll have one ugly front end.
They did the same thing where I grew up in Alaska. Having a windshield
repair/replacement business is certainly a money maker up there!

Eric
99 TJ SE

Old March 7th 05, 06:12 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Eric" > wrote in message
> Well, maybe lucky. Get a bra and/or bug deflector for the front. Oh, and
> keep a good distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
> Otherwise, by the time summer gets around you'll have one ugly front end.
> They did the same thing where I grew up in Alaska. Having a windshield
> repair/replacement business is certainly a money maker up there!

yeah, winter is effectively over now and we made it through without a single
chip. most folks are running mud flaps up here and they do a decent job.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old March 7th 05, 11:52 AM
marko

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> im lucky in that respect. montana doesnt use salt, instead they put out
> dirt and gravel.

This adds to damage: chips to wheel well paint, underbody zinc, hood,
doors etc. It just takes a bit more time and corrosion is there.

Marko