Merge impaired slowpokes

Old December 27th 04, 10:34 PM
Alexander Rogge

Default Merge impaired slowpokes

I'm driving on a highway entrance ramp behind a Honda Accord. The speed
of traffic on the highway is about 100 km/h in the right lane and 110
km/h in the other two lanes, but this slowpoke refuses to speed up past
80 km/h. I signal left and merge into traffic, speeding up and starting
to pass the slowpoke which is not signaling left to merge and has plenty
of lane remaining to merge behind me and the other traffic in the lane.
As I am halfway past the Honda, the slowpoke starts to drift slowly
into my lane. I speed up, but the Honda driver also speeds up and
forces me halfway into the next lane over. Obviously assuming that I
was another Enabler, it was not expecting me to cut in front. The Honda
driver then tries honking at me and matching my speed, but it is blocked
by more passing traffic. They expect everyone to let them drift all
over the road at any speed, and get mad when somebody turns out not to
be an Enabler.
At the next highway entrance, the driver of a Toyota Highlander is in
the merge lane. The Toyota driver refuses to match the speed of traffic
or signal to merge. It drifts into the regular lanes, forcing traffic
in Lane 3 to move into Lane 2. As I signal left to move into Lane 2 and
begin to pass the Toyota, the Toyota driver drifts into Lane 2, forcing
me to move into Lane 1 to avoid being hit. I pass the Toyota and cut in
front, and notice that the Toyota driver has its high-beams on. As I
move back into Lane 3, the Toyota driver drifts into Lane 1, cutting off
the passing traffic. It speeds up until it's next to another vehicle in
Lane 2, and slows down to make a rolling roadblock. This causes a
traffic jam as drivers swerve into Lane 3 to get around the stoppage.
Old December 28th 04, 12:33 AM
Jim Yanik

Alexander Rogge > wrote in news:Beydnd4t3r9AEE3cRVn-
:

> I'm driving on a highway entrance ramp behind a Honda Accord. The speed
> of traffic on the highway is about 100 km/h in the right lane and 110
> km/h in the other two lanes, but this slowpoke refuses to speed up past
> 80 km/h. I signal left and merge into traffic, speeding up and starting
> to pass the slowpoke which is not signaling left to merge and has plenty
> of lane remaining to merge behind me and the other traffic in the lane.
> As I am halfway past the Honda, the slowpoke starts to drift slowly
> into my lane. I speed up, but the Honda driver also speeds up and
> forces me halfway into the next lane over. Obviously assuming that I
> was another Enabler, it was not expecting me to cut in front. The Honda
> driver then tries honking at me and matching my speed, but it is blocked
> by more passing traffic. They expect everyone to let them drift all
> over the road at any speed, and get mad when somebody turns out not to
> be an Enabler.
> At the next highway entrance, the driver of a Toyota Highlander is in
> the merge lane. The Toyota driver refuses to match the speed of traffic
> or signal to merge. It drifts into the regular lanes, forcing traffic
> in Lane 3 to move into Lane 2. As I signal left to move into Lane 2 and
> begin to pass the Toyota, the Toyota driver drifts into Lane 2, forcing
> me to move into Lane 1 to avoid being hit. I pass the Toyota and cut in
> front, and notice that the Toyota driver has its high-beams on. As I
> move back into Lane 3, the Toyota driver drifts into Lane 1, cutting off
> the passing traffic. It speeds up until it's next to another vehicle in
> Lane 2, and slows down to make a rolling roadblock. This causes a
> traffic jam as drivers swerve into Lane 3 to get around the stoppage.

Here in Orlando,the vehicles behind the sloth merger end up hitting the
brakes instead of changing lanes.We have a lot of rear-end collisions
caused by these schmucks(the sloths),resulting in severe traffic backups on
BOTH sides of I-4 due to sightseers and other schmucks.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old December 28th 04, 12:33 AM
Jim Yanik

Old December 28th 04, 01:54 AM
Dave Head

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:34:12 +0000, Alexander Rogge > wrote:

>I'm driving on a highway entrance ramp behind a Honda Accord. The speed
>of traffic on the highway is about 100 km/h in the right lane and 110
>km/h in the other two lanes, but this slowpoke refuses to speed up past
>80 km/h. I signal left and merge into traffic, speeding up and starting
>to pass the slowpoke

Now, there's a brain-dead manuever. What did U think was gonna happen next?

>which is not signaling left to merge

Yeah, so what? This keeps you from figuring it out? Apparently.

And you probably ****ed him off as well - no wonder he tried to merge into you.

> As I am halfway past the Honda, the slowpoke starts to drift slowly
>into my lane.

Oh, surprise! (NOT!)

>I speed up, but the Honda driver also speeds up and
>forces me halfway into the next lane over. Obviously assuming that I
>was another Enabler, it was not expecting me to cut in front. The Honda
>driver then tries honking at me and matching my speed, but it is blocked
>by more passing traffic. They expect everyone to let them drift all
>over the road at any speed, and get mad when somebody turns out not to
>be an Enabler.

All of this was predictable.

>At the next highway entrance, the driver of a Toyota Highlander is in
>the merge lane. The Toyota driver refuses to match the speed of traffic
>or signal to merge.

Signaling is unimportant. If he is in the acceleration lane and moving, and
you have a room temp or higher IQ, you know what's going to happen next.

>It drifts into the regular lanes,

Bingo!

>forcing traffic
>in Lane 3 to move into Lane 2. As I signal left to move into Lane 2 and
>begin to pass the Toyota, the Toyota driver drifts into Lane 2, forcing
>me to move into Lane 1 to avoid being hit.

U have to drive the other guy's car as well as your own - IOW, predict what
nonsense he's going to pull off and be ready for it, or avoid going into harm's
way in the 1st place.

>I pass the Toyota and cut in
>front, and notice that the Toyota driver has its high-beams on.

Aggressive moves like that will cause such reactions. You should have just
stayed left.

>As I
>move back into Lane 3, the Toyota driver drifts into Lane 1, cutting off
>the passing traffic. It speeds up until it's next to another vehicle in
>Lane 2, and slows down to make a rolling roadblock.

Duckling.

>This causes a
>traffic jam as drivers swerve into Lane 3 to get around the stoppage.

Of course. They delight in that.

DPH
Old December 28th 04, 01:54 AM
Dave Head

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:34:12 +0000, Alexander Rogge > wrote:

>I'm driving on a highway entrance ramp behind a Honda Accord. The speed
>of traffic on the highway is about 100 km/h in the right lane and 110
>km/h in the other two lanes, but this slowpoke refuses to speed up past
>80 km/h. I signal left and merge into traffic, speeding up and starting
>to pass the slowpoke

Now, there's a brain-dead manuever. What did U think was gonna happen next?

>which is not signaling left to merge

Yeah, so what? This keeps you from figuring it out? Apparently.

>and has plenty
>of lane remaining to merge behind me and the other traffic in the lane.

And you probably ****ed him off as well - no wonder he tried to merge into you.

> As I am halfway past the Honda, the slowpoke starts to drift slowly
>into my lane.

Oh, surprise! (NOT!)

>I speed up, but the Honda driver also speeds up and
>forces me halfway into the next lane over. Obviously assuming that I
>was another Enabler, it was not expecting me to cut in front. The Honda
>driver then tries honking at me and matching my speed, but it is blocked
>by more passing traffic. They expect everyone to let them drift all
>over the road at any speed, and get mad when somebody turns out not to
>be an Enabler.

All of this was predictable.

Old December 28th 04, 06:53 AM
Alexander Rogge

> All of this was predictable.

Yes, and that's what they expect - everyone else must go slower and let
them drive any way they want. An Enabler stays behind the slowpoke as
it merges into traffic, 20 under the speed of traffic. An Enabler
allows the incompetent driver to drift into other lanes without signaling.

> Signaling is unimportant.

Failing to use turn signals indicates an impaired or incompetent driver.
All normal lane changes and turns require the use of turn signals.

> If he is in the acceleration lane and moving, and
> you have a room temp or higher IQ, you know what's going to happen next.

Merging traffic must yield to traffic in the regular lanes. If the
merging driver is not able to accelerate to the speed of traffic, that
driver must stop until the lane is open. A rule from driving school,
with the speedometer around 140 and traffic on the left doing 200+ -
"Entering traffic must yield, maintain your speed and don't change
lanes!" That's what I expect from all drivers. Now I can be coming
down the right lane at 200 and I expect entering traffic to accelerate
to 200 or wait until I pass the acceleration lane.

>>I pass the Toyota and cut in
>>front, and notice that the Toyota driver has its high-beams on.

> Aggressive moves like that will cause such reactions. You should have just
> stayed left.

No, the high-beams were on before I moved in front. It's the broken
high-beam DRLs. I had to get out of Lane 1 quickly to avoid being hit
by the approaching traffic. Not moving left would have caused a side
collision with the SUV, and braking would have caused a rear-end
collision. The SUV driver created the hazard by drifting into my lane.
Old December 28th 04, 06:53 AM
Alexander Rogge

Old December 28th 04, 01:19 PM
Dave Head

What an incredible idiot you are! None of that "I'm right and he's wrong /
illegal" bull**** will lower your risk of being in a collision. In fact, it
raises it.

The safest course of action when following someone on an on-ramp that is
obviously not accelerating is to drop back, possibly stopping on the on-ramp
until he is well ahead of you, and then _you_ acclerating to the speed of
traffic and merging.

But _no_, you have to "teach him a lesson" by accelerating up beside him,
cutting him off from his merge space, then whining about it when he merges
anyway. I think I might have merged anyway, too, 'cuz U were being an asshole.

Who's right isn't going to make any difference at all when they're trying to
saw the top off your car to get you out of the tight little ball of metal it
has become, hopefully before it catches fire.

Old December 28th 04, 01:19 PM
Dave Head

Old December 28th 04, 06:02 PM
Jim Yanik

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> What an incredible idiot you are! None of that "I'm right and he's
> wrong / illegal" bull**** will lower your risk of being in a
> collision. In fact, it raises it.
>
> The safest course of action when following someone on an on-ramp that
> is obviously not accelerating is to drop back, possibly stopping on
> the on-ramp until he is well ahead of you, and then _you_ acclerating
> to the speed of traffic and merging.

Yep,nothing like being an enabler along with a LLB.

> But _no_, you have to "teach him a lesson" by accelerating up beside
> him, cutting him off from his merge space, then whining about it when
> he merges anyway. I think I might have merged anyway, too, 'cuz U
> were being an asshole.

But wouldn't you be afraid that he might shoot at you or try to kill you in
some other way? That would be one of those "aggressive maneuvers" you seem
to fear.Or are you claiming that aggressive actions permit aggressive
REactions? Your previous posts indicate you would "enable" the sloth merger
to prevent getting shot at.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik