Corrosion Woes

Old September 19th 05, 08:04 PM
Mucker

Default Corrosion Woes

Hello

I just wondered what your experiences of corrosion was with Alfas.

My covetted S plate 156 is showing distinct signs of an uneven surface
towards the corner of the nearside rear passenger door. The paint hasn't yet
broken, but running my hand over the paint, there is a real feeling of
something brewing under the surface.

The same can be said of just below the offside door mirror. Looking along
the flank of the car, and rippling is evident. The mirror itself long ago
showed signs of it's age, shedding the black outer surface where it was
bolted onto the door. When I approached the dealer armed with phrases like
"8 year anti-corrosion warranty" and "I've only owned this car 18mths"
(I've owned the car from new), he retorted that the warranty only covered
the car, not the "accessories". Loverly attitude.

This car has been treated with a velvet glove from day one. I waxoyled it in
the first year, yet I do fear that this wasn't enough. The car's 7 years old
and I've taken it to my local dealer and yes, he admits there could be a
problem but because the car's been painted in the past, the warranty was
void. The car did have some repairs to it a couple of years ago - someone
reversed into the offside front bumper. The front wing, spoiler and bonnet
was resprayed at a none alfa dealer (BMW infact), because there were no
other local companies authorised by my insurance. The areas of the car
showing signs of distress (and you do have to look carefully to see them)
are completely original.

Any ideas what I should do? Should I insist that Alfa does something about
it? I fear that soon after the 8 years is up, the car will degenerate
rapidly.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Steve

Old September 19th 05, 08:40 PM
GT

"Mucker" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I just wondered what your experiences of corrosion was with Alfas.
>
> My covetted S plate 156 is showing distinct signs of an uneven surface
> towards the corner of the nearside rear passenger door. The paint hasn't
> yet broken, but running my hand over the paint, there is a real feeling of
> something brewing under the surface.
>
> The same can be said of just below the offside door mirror. Looking along
> the flank of the car, and rippling is evident. The mirror itself long ago
> showed signs of it's age, shedding the black outer surface where it was
> bolted onto the door. When I approached the dealer armed with phrases like
> "8 year anti-corrosion warranty" and "I've only owned this car 18mths"
> (I've owned the car from new), he retorted that the warranty only covered
> the car, not the "accessories". Loverly attitude.

My 156 came with rear doors and wing mirrors as standard - they weren't
extras! Why is the man at your garage telling you they are extras?

Old September 20th 05, 09:46 PM
Mucker

Apparently the warranty excludes fixtures - and these include the wing
mirrors. Yes, I wasn't impressed either.

ng.com...

Old September 22nd 05, 11:19 AM
GT

"Mucker" > wrote in message
> Apparently the warranty excludes fixtures - and these include the wing
> mirrors. Yes, I wasn't impressed either.

What about the doors?

Old September 25th 05, 02:39 PM
Gazza

Corrosion has to be from the inside out ... so if it starts under the paint,
you'll get nowhere.

I've got the wing-mirror probs and we think that was down to poor prep or
the wrong undercoat.

Another place to look is the reinforcing brackets in the front inner wings.
The undertray is fixed to these and they tend to corrode bottom up. The
first you know is when the bottom of the bracket remains attached to the
undertray!!

And the window trim on the tops of the doors tend to corrode from the inside
as well.. The first sign are bubbles in the rubber trim.

I must admit they are much better than the 70s cars!!

Gazza

ng.com...