2005 MazdaSpeed wheels/tires

Old July 20th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.

Default 2005 MazdaSpeed wheels/tires

On Jul 15, 7:05*pm, Christopher Muto > wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
> > bowman wrote:
> >> I've got a 2005 MX5 Turbo that came loaded up with fancy, still *like,
> >> new Toyo tires and Racing Hart wheels. Total mileage 7000 miles as of
> >> 07/2010. I'm considering making this car my daily driver. In which
> >> case I'd opt for lesser wheels and a good set of Michelin all weather
> >> tires. Any idea how to sell the unnecessary wheel/tire set and for how
> >> much? And what practical set would I replace them with. I really have
> >> no need for anything but basic transportation quality components. I've
> >> babied that car long enough. Time to use it for other than nice
> >> weather weekend jaunts.

> > if you plan on making it your primary daily driver, and use the car to
> > commute to work, my first question would be to ask where you are
> > located... *an all season will not cut it in the north east in snow. *it
> > could get you home in some conditions but if you expect to reliably use
> > the car in the winter then you owe it to yourself to get a set of winter
> > tires mounted something basic, even steelies (and if that is the case
> > then keep using the racing hart wheels as your summer set).

> i should be more specific... *all seasons on a maita will not cut it in
> the north east in the snow... the car is just too light, tires too wide,
> * and the rear wheel drive means there is now weight on top of the
> driving wheels... *honda and other front wheel drives are ok in the snow
> with just all seasons in all but the very worst weather... but that is
> not the case with the miata.

Agreed. My Miata (and my two sons' Miatas) go fine in the snow in
northern Virginia, but only as long as they have dedicated snow tires
on all four corners and a couple of bags of sand or salt in the
trunk. That's with normal northern Virginia snowfalls of 4-8
inches.

When we got the 30+ inch snowfalls this past winter, my Miata stayed
in the cozy garage and I drove the Silverado 2500HD; which was
TERRIBLE in the snow (2wd) until I got four dedicated snow tires on it
and loaded the bed with weight.
Old July 21st 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>> Lighter is GOOD! ;-)

> Obviously you don't recall Buick's "Roadhugging Weight" slogan of the
> 1950s!

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

Oh, I recall those dinosaurs! That road hugging weight helps you hug the
road as long as you are sitting static ;-) After you start moving that goes
out the window fast, eh?! Buick never mentioned that.

Chris
99BBB

Old July 21st 10, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message
> On 7/19/2010 6:50 AM, XS11E wrote:
>> "Chris > wrote:
>>
>>> Lighter is GOOD! ;-)

>> Obviously you don't recall Buick's "Roadhugging Weight" slogan of the
>> 1950s!

> That's even better than Pontiac's "wide-track" advertising!

..

> Pat

At least the 'wide track' is correct in principle; wider IS better in
general, for handling but, the Buick claim is just totally bogus unless your
concern is for holding the road in the presence of a tornado's lifting
forces ;-)

cd
99BBB

Old July 21st 10, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Tim M." > wrote in message

Agreed. My Miata (and my two sons' Miatas) go fine in the snow in
northern Virginia, but only as long as they have dedicated snow tires
on all four corners and a couple of bags of sand or salt in the
trunk. That's with normal northern Virginia snowfalls of 4-8
inches.

When we got the 30+ inch snowfalls this past winter, my Miata stayed
in the cozy garage and I drove the Silverado 2500HD; which was
TERRIBLE in the snow (2wd) until I got four dedicated snow tires on it
and loaded the bed with weight.

I had a few occasions to drive my Miata in snow with all season tires and I
was pretty darned impressed. The light weight and, I'm sure, the balance of
the car seemed to make it quite a willing companion as they say. I can
imagine that with dedicated snow tires, it must be a total blast to drive in
the snow. I'd spend all my (winter) time in parking lots, drifting if I
still lived up north ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old July 21st 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/20/2010 9:43 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "pws" > wrote in message

>>> Obviously you don't recall Buick's "Roadhugging Weight" slogan of the
>>> 1950s!

>> That's even better than Pontiac's "wide-track" advertising!
>>

> .
>>
>> Pat
>>

> At least the 'wide track' is correct in principle; wider IS better in
> general, for handling but, the Buick claim is just totally bogus unless
> your concern is for holding the road in the presence of a tornado's
> lifting forces ;-)
>
> cd
> 99BBB

What truck did they drive through the house while it is being moved by
the tornado in the movie "Twister"? That is the one I want.

That was one hell of a truck!

Pat

Old July 21st 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/20/2010 9:49 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Tim M." > wrote in message
>
> Agreed. My Miata (and my two sons' Miatas) go fine in the snow in
> northern Virginia, but only as long as they have dedicated snow tires
> on all four corners and a couple of bags of sand or salt in the
> trunk. That's with normal northern Virginia snowfalls of 4-8
> inches.
>
> When we got the 30+ inch snowfalls this past winter, my Miata stayed
> in the cozy garage and I drove the Silverado 2500HD; which was
> TERRIBLE in the snow (2wd) until I got four dedicated snow tires on it
> and loaded the bed with weight.
>

> I had a few occasions to drive my Miata in snow with all season tires
> and I was pretty darned impressed. The light weight and, I'm sure, the
> balance of the car seemed to make it quite a willing companion as they
> say. I can imagine that with dedicated snow tires, it must be a total
> blast to drive in the snow. I'd spend all my (winter) time in parking
> lots, drifting if I still lived up north ;-)
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

I think that I have driven on snow and ice four times in my life, it
might be three total. Never in a Miata.

Wanna go for a ride with me during the next ice storm? ;-)

When the streets get bad here, I stay in. It has never lasted more than
a day or so, and this city shuts down at the first sign of a snowflake.

That said, one person I am close to moved to a place where snow is very
heavy at times, after living in Austin his entire life. He has had no
problems adapting.

He hates shoveling the snow off the driveway, but learning how to drive
in it is apparently not that difficult for newbies, and he was smart
enough to get snow tires and chains that are sometimes required to make
it up the mountain.

Pat