GM 3.8 V-6 claimed to be the BEST ENGINE EVER by some here

Old April 21st 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
C. E. White[_1_]

Default GM 3.8 V-6 claimed to be the BEST ENGINE EVER by some here

"krp" > wrote in message

> "C. E. White" > wrote in message

>>> YOU made the laughable claim - YOU define it!

>> I never made such a claim.

> It was made never-the-less.

Well don't pin it on me. I would never agree that they were "the BEST
ENGINE ever built." And I don't see anyone else claiming that either.

>>> The engine starts on fire and you have a laundry list of excuses
>>> for it.

>> I just pointed out the actual reason for the recall.

> Excuses.

Facts. It was not so much an "engine" problem as an engine compartment
problem. And a realtively minor and obscure one at that. You used the
number of vehicles recalled to try and claim this proved the engines
were not good. This was not fair. Very few cars had a problem (fewer
than 5), but in order to make sure there were no more they had to
recall millions. And the recall does nothing but remove some flammible
material from the area of the exhaut manifold. The actual engine is
not changed at all.

>>> Reminds me of my days racing. At the start of the festivities
>>> Chevy owners were the LOUDEST BRAGGARTS on the track. The biggest
>>> honking super cars going. That is right up to the point you beat
>>> their ass, then the EXCUSES were louder that their origanl boatsm
>>> it was NEVER because the other guy's car was faster, NEVER. You
>>> know it gets OLD after a while. You know if you had just said it
>>> was a "good engine" I probably would have agreed with you.
>>> Claiming it was the BEST ever or in the top ten is just such a
>>> STUPID claim as to be insulting with all the really great power
>>> plants out there from so many brands of cars.

>>> It is not a "bad" engine. But I certainly wouldn't put it
>>> anywhere near the top 10 or even 30 engines in history. I listed
>>> them before, Duesenberg, Pierce Arrow, Studebaker, Hudson,
>>> Mercedes, Bugatti, Maseratti, Lamborghini, Packard, some Cadillac
>>> and Lincoln engines.

>> It would be interesting to understand your rating system that makes
>> those engine all time great engines. Any of them may have been
>> really great in their time, but compared to a modern engine? They
>> would all come off as unreliable, heavy, under-powered, and
>> hideously expensive.

> Oh golly - a consensus of automotive design engineers and
> mechanics who are experts with engines.

As I said, maybe for their time they were great. And I'd love to have
the cars they were in. But, compared to almost any modern engine they
were pathetic. You are confusing art and mystique with results. A mid
thirties Dusenberg with a 400+ cubic inch supercharged engine could
do zero to sixty in around eight seconds. A Camry or Fusion can beat
that.

>>> No - SORRY your 3.8 hardly makes it to the middle of the pack must
>>> less WORLD'S BEST! Not even close. You staked your claim on that
>>> because of the number of them built. There are nearly 10 times as
>>> many Ladas and they are nothing but ****. Large volume engines?
>>> The Ford 4 Cylinder engine for the 20's and early 30's, the VW bug
>>> engine. A buttload of both and FAR more reliable.

>> I doubt this is true. The old flat four VW engines were simple, but
>> relaible? I think not, at least not by modern standards.

> Sorry that flat 4 was considered one of the most reliable ever
> built.

BS. VW flat fours were mediocre engines. They were simple, unstressed
but hardly relaible.You are confusing popular, cheap, and easy to
repair with reliable.

Ed

Old April 21st 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
krp

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

>>> I never made such a claim.

>> It was made never-the-less.

> Well don't pin it on me. I would never agree that they were "the BEST
> ENGINE ever built." And I don't see anyone else claiming that either.

>>> I just pointed out the actual reason for the recall.

>> Excuses.

> Facts. It was not so much an "engine" problem as an engine compartment
> problem.

The point is that other engines didn't have the same or similar problem.

>>> It would be interesting to understand your rating system that makes
>>> those engine all time great engines. Any of them may have been really
>>> great in their time, but compared to a modern engine? They would all
>>> come off as unreliable, heavy, under-powered, and hideously expensive.

>> Oh golly - a consensus of automotive design engineers and mechanics
>> who are experts with engines.

> As I said, maybe for their time they were great. And I'd love to have the
> cars they were in. But, compared to almost any modern engine they were
> pathetic. You are confusing art and mystique with results. A mid thirties
> Dusenberg with a 400+ cubic inch supercharged engine could do zero to
> sixty in around eight seconds. A Camry or Fusion can beat that.

Speed isn't the standard. Have you ever seen a Dusenberg engine running?
Not to mention the comfort of the car. There is also several thousand pounds
difference between a Deusy and a Camry.