critique my freeway driving habits

Old February 3rd 05, 02:38 AM
Usual Suspect

Arif Khokar wrote:

> What do you do when you catch up with a critical mass group of cyclists
> going 20 mph.

If they don't yield I follow them, 2 seconds behind or more. It's usually in
their best interest to yield though, because cyclists are prone to falling.

> By your argument, they define the normal speed of traffic
> and have no obligation to yield to you.

That is correct.
Old February 3rd 05, 02:39 AM
Usual Suspect

Bernard farquart wrote:

> "Usual Suspect" > wrote in message
>> Arif Khokar wrote:

>>> Unlikely scenario.

>> Perhaps, but in that particular scenario, do you admit that the law has
>> no problem with my blocking the tailgater?
>>
>>> First off, the tailgater is being tailgated by a
>>> whole line of cars that were probably going a little over 80 mph before
>>> they caught up with you. Therefore, you're still slower than the normal
>>> speed of traffic.

>> In this hypothetical scenario, if their normal speed would be 82 without
>> me,
>> there should better be all 72 of them behind me, to make the average
>> speed in my absense top 75.
>>
>>> Either yield or speed up.

>> I don't do either.
>>

> So to resume the speed they were travelling previously,
> you force the people who come up behind to change to the
> right lane, speed way up to get past you before running into
> the cars travelling slower in the right lane, then hop back in
> front of you in the right lane.
>
> You see no increase in the possibility of an accident due to
> the fact that you simply will not yeild to those trying to pass?

Well, Arif Khokar stated elsewhere in this thread, there is absolutely no
increased risk in lane-swerving. He has to be consistent :-)

I agree with you though. In reality, I might slow down a bit to help them
merge back in, if I sense danger.

BTW, we were talking about legality of LLB'ing in CA here, and the verdict
is clear.
Old February 3rd 05, 02:59 AM
Bernard farquart

"Usual Suspect" > wrote in message

> Well, Arif Khokar stated elsewhere in this thread, there is absolutely no
> increased risk in lane-swerving. He has to be consistent :-)
>
> I agree with you though. In reality, I might slow down a bit to help them
> merge back in, if I sense danger.
>
> BTW, we were talking about legality of LLB'ing in CA here, and the verdict
> is clear.

I just do not understand the mentality here. If we are talking about
anything but *at capacity* traffic on, say a six lane or an eight lane
freeway, then moving over and letting faster traffic pass just makes
someone else the lead car in the pack.

I often end up in the left lane, especially when traffic is near
capacity. If someone comes up behind me, and I have an open
stretch to my right coming up, I am happy to let the police train
the radar gun on someone else.

They call the left lane the "ticket lane" for a real reason.

Bernard

Old February 3rd 05, 03:08 AM
Arif Khokar

Usual Suspect wrote:

> Arif Khokar wrote:

>>What do you do when you catch up with a critical mass group of cyclists
>>going 20 mph.

> If they don't yield I follow them, 2 seconds behind or more. It's usually in
> their best interest to yield though, because cyclists are prone to falling.

That's like saying drivers are prone to crashing. They aren't and
cyclists are not prone to falling.

Will you follow them for the next 20 minuts, 1 hour, 2 hours, ...?
Old February 3rd 05, 03:11 AM
Michael

Arif Khokar wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
>> That's when I pass you and throw some ketchup on your car.

> Why not throw eggs instead. They do interesting things to the paint if
> allowed to dry (which will happen rapidly at highway speeds).

Now, now... I don't want to break the windshield and hurt the driver.

But yes, I've seen effects of eggs on car paint. Not pretty.
Old February 3rd 05, 03:24 AM
Brent P

In article >, Usual Suspect wrote:

> Constantly driving in left lane at the same speed as drivers in the right
> lane with no one in your lane is also legal (although I don't endorse it),
> despite some cops claiming to give tickets for this in some other states
> (who cares?)

May you only encounter drivers like you, but slower.

> That is what I asserted in previous post.
>
> Now, suppose there are 100 cars in the right lane, doing 70mph; I am in the
> left lane (naturally) doing 75 mph, and some tailgater is behind me who
> would go faster if it weren't for me blocking him. I'm not "slower than the
> normal speed of traffic in my direction", and therefore it's perfectly
> legal for me to block the *******.

May you only encounter drivers like yourself, but slower.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:27 AM
Bernard farquart

"Michael" > wrote in message
.. .
> Arif Khokar wrote:
>> Michael wrote:
>>
>>> That's when I pass you and throw some ketchup on your car.

>> Why not throw eggs instead. They do interesting things to the paint if
>> allowed to dry (which will happen rapidly at highway speeds).

> Now, now... I don't want to break the windshield and hurt the driver.

Not likely, unless you are throwing frozen eggs.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:59 AM
Sam O'Nella

Arif Khokar wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
>> That's when I pass you and throw some ketchup on your car.

> Why not throw eggs instead. They do interesting things to the paint
> if allowed to dry (which will happen rapidly at highway speeds).

The dumbass is just begging for someone to pop a cap in his ass. It will
happen, don't worry - he'll block the wrong person at the wrong time.

Hopefully any passenger of his won't die as well.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:05 AM
Arif Khokar

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:47:15 GMT, Arif Khokar >
> wrote:

>>Several, as far as I know, is 3 or more.

> Several == 4+.

According to dictionary.com, "[b]eing of a number more than two or three
but not many ..." Looks like neither of us are entirely correct.
Old February 3rd 05, 06:07 AM
Arif Khokar

Sam O'Nella wrote:

> The dumbass is just begging for someone to pop a cap in his ass. It will
> happen, don't worry - he'll block the wrong person at the wrong time.
>
> Hopefully any passenger of his won't die as well.

True. The passenger will be needed to safely guide the car to the
breakdown lane so as to not back up traffic.

Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 December 31st 04 11:33 PM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM