critique my freeway driving habits

Old February 4th 05, 08:24 PM
Arif Khokar

Usual Suspect wrote:

> I accept your surrender.

And I accept that you have some sort of mental problem.
Old February 4th 05, 08:41 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:24:03 GMT, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>Usual Suspect wrote:
>
>> I accept your surrender.

>And I accept that you have some sort of mental problem.

If only he could accept it.

He asked for critique and then he couldn't take the responses.

Old February 4th 05, 08:54 PM
Robert Briggs

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Robert Briggs wrote:

> > I forget which way round it was, but Surrey (UK) traffic police and
> > their German counterparts recommend that you should *not* move back
> > into the "slow" lane after a pass unless you expect to stay there
> > for *at least* 15 or 20 seconds.

> After months of asking, this is the closest someone has come to an
> authoritative source for the "20 second rule" (i.e. if you pass a
> vehicle, and you will be able to pass the next vehicle within 20
> seconds, then stay in the left lane).

That would be a slightly different guideline, as the Surrey police
recommended not (normally) moving into the "slow" lane unless you
can, without changing your own speed:

move across a generous distance in front of the guy you have
just passed;

stay "straight and level" in the "slower" lane for the 15 to
20 seconds; and

move back to the "fast" lane while you are still a generous
distance behind the guy you are about to overtake.

> I would amend this, however, to recommend an immediate return to the
> right lane if faster traffic approaching from the rear will catch up
> to you before you can complete your next pass.

AIUI, it was a general *guideline*, which should be tweaked according
to the particular circumstances:

if *slightly* faster traffic is approaching from behind then
stay in the "fast" lane if he would be likely to trap you;

if *substantially* faster traffic is approaching and will be
able to pass unimpeded (and *without* trapping you) if you
move across into a somewhat smaller gap then do so;

if faster traffic is approaching running blue lights then be
prepared to move into any *safe* gap, slowing if necessary,
to let him pass; etc.

It's very much horses for courses, but the 15 to 20 seconds *stable*
in the "slow" lane guideline is a good starting point.
Old February 4th 05, 08:58 PM
Robert Briggs

Usual Suspect wrote:
> Arif Khokar wrote:
> > Usual Suspect wrote:
> >
> > > Apparently being asked 2 or more questions at once confuses a Muslim.

> > If you want to use concocted scenarios that hardly occur in the real
> > world, feel free. Just don't expect people to play along.

> I accept your surrender.

Arif's "wvu.edu" address would seem unlikely to be in France.

:-}
Old February 5th 05, 05:03 AM
Salmon Ella

> Wow, a Richmond, VA savage. How original!

Not bad for a San Diego-an!

Old February 5th 05, 06:18 PM
The Lindbergh Baby

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>>Not with you blocking it, it's not.

>>Again, you are arguing from some sort of communist perspective. My driving
>>in the left lane does not slow it down FOR ME.

> And you, of course, are the only person in the universe who matters.
>
> Pure, unadulterated MFFY.

What do you expect from a Republican?

John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

Old February 10th 05, 07:34 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >, says...
>Now, every once in a while someone would come up from behind and follow me
>very closely, trying to "make me go faster", which, needless to say, never
>works. They would typically keep at it for a while and then, realizing they
>are being preposterous go lane-swirving (good luck).

Gee another driver too stupid to figure out the car behind you is not trying
to get you to go faster. They just want you to keep right except to pass.
Just as the law prescibes.

>MY RATIONALE:
>1. I like the left lane. Whereas in other lanes you have to worry about
>traffic on your left and right, the left lane feels more tranquil.

Lazy ass. Just an excuse to not pay attention when you are driving. You
must be related to Judy.

>2. There is often a shoulder on the left, which I can use if required.

There would be at least one lane to your left if you were in the right lane.

>3. The left lane is typically faster than other lanes

Not with idiots like you in it.

>4. I don't especially like changing lanes (to pass or whatever)

Another lazy ass excuse.

>5. I'm already going at 10 mph over the limit. You want to go faster? Well,
>that's your problem. I could imagine feeling a bit guilty if I was doing 10
>mph below.

Stay right and go as fast/slow as you want. Just keep out of the passing
lane when you are not passing another vehicle.

>6. By staying away from the on-ramps I reduce the related risks for merging
>traffic and myself.

There are only risks if you are not paying attention, which from your
description sounds like what you do all the time.

>7. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for blocking the left lane
>while doing the speed limit or more.

Sad, but true.

>Now, I don't claim this to be the best strategy for everyone, or even the
>optimal one for yours truly, but this is the best one I've come up with
>with my own interests in mind.

Of course. MFFY describes you quite nicely.
-------------
Alex

Old February 10th 05, 07:39 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com>,
says...

>jaybird wrote:
>
>(a bunch of stuff)
>finally a post from Jaybird that I can 100% agree with!

Just what I was thinking.
Alex

Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 December 31st 04 11:33 PM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM