02 Ford Explorer no Brake Lights or Rear Turn Signals

Old November 18th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default 02 Ford Explorer no Brake Lights or Rear Turn Signals

My 2002 Ford Explorer's brake lights and rear turn signals are not
working. The top rear brake light is working. The front turn signals
work but blink really fast.

I checked both bulbs and the fuse, they are all good.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

Old November 19th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ollie

used the hazard lites lately ????

If so, turn them on and off a couple of times to clean the contacts inside
the switch

oups.com...

Old November 19th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Marshall M. Dues

I recently bought a used 2000 Explorer XLS and the one brake light was
not working and the other one was intermittently working. I replaced
both brake lamps and still had the same problem. Upon close inspection
of the lamp sockets, I discovered that they both showed signs of
overheating. I replaced both brake lamp sockets with an aftermarket
product called Conduct-Tite lamp socket found off the shelf at Auto
Zone (Houston, TX area). The part number is 84764. This part number
is for Ford trucks from 1997 and newer. The part is American made by
Motormite, Division of R&B, Inc., Colmar, PA 18915. The price was
$7.95 for each socket. This fixed my problem. The counter man also
recommended that I use a heat transfer silicon type salve smeared on
the base of the replacement brake lamps, which I bought. Very
necessary and here is why: My XLS has an automatic transmission, and
when standing in stop and go traffic while in gear, and to keep the
vehicle from crawling forward, you must step on the brakes. This
obviously turns on the brake lights which rapidly become VERY HOT! The
heat from the lamps will soon make the original Ford supplied lamp
sockets get brittle from the baking of the brake lamp high
temperature. Now, the otherwise plasticized lamp retaining tabs that
hold the lamp in positive contact with the socket breaks off and the
lamp moves out of contact due to road vibration. I previously
mentioned the heat transfer salve above. This is to help distribute
brake lamp high heat more evenly outward through the socket, instead
of only at the area where the lamp filament wires come in contact with
the actual contact area of the socket.

Although this has been a rambling response, I hope I have helped to
identify a workable solution to this problem.

Regards,

Marshall Dues
Katy, Texas

Old November 19th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Marshall M. Dues

Old November 20th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Hi,

I tried this, still having the same problem.

Old November 20th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ollie

Pull out your testlite and make sure that you don't have power and ground
there

If not ,get a schematic and check the multi-funtion switch

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I tried this, still having the same problem.
>

> Ollie wrote:
>> used the hazard lites lately ????
>>
>> If so, turn them on and off a couple of times to clean the contacts
>> inside
>> the switch
>>

>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > My 2002 Ford Explorer's brake lights and rear turn signals are not
>> > working. The top rear brake light is working. The front turn signals
>> > work but blink really fast.
>> >
>> > I checked both bulbs and the fuse, they are all good.
>> >
>> > Anyone know what the problem could be?
>> >
>> > Thanks

headlights on all day Daniel J. Stern Driving 48 October 28th 06 07:01 PM
2006 3xx series - no amber rear turn signals? Mike Mayer BMW 4 July 4th 06 09:27 PM
98 grand cherokee rear brake lights stay on tbills Jeep 2 February 17th 06 03:02 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
LED arrays for turn signals, brake lights available yet? Doug Jeep 11 May 30th 05 03:02 AM