NEED HELP WITH FORD EXPORER

Old November 15th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
francis_m_ferris via CarKB.com

Default NEED HELP WITH FORD EXPORER

I HAVE A 1997 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 LITER V6 OHV. I AM ONLY ONLY GETTING 200
MILES TO THE FULL TANK AND IT SEEMS THAT I AM LACKING POWER. I TOOK MY
VEHICLE TO AUTO ZONE AND THEY TOLD ME I HAD A EGR PROBLEM. I THEN TOOK MY
VEHICLE TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP AND THEY TOLD ME I HAD A DISCONTECTED WIRE.
THEY CHARGED ME 70DOLLARS AND SAID MY VEHICLE WAS GOOD. THEN 5 MILES DOWN
THE ROAD, MY LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN. I WENT BACK TO AUTOZONE AND THEY TOLD ME
AGAIN IT WAS MY EGR SYSTEM FLOW. I GOT TO THE POINT WHERE I BELIEVED AUTO
ZONE MORE THEN I BELIEVED FORD. SO I CHANGED MY EGR VALVE, ALL FILTERS, ALL
FLUIDS FLUSHED AND CHANGED. THE EGR VALVE WAS ABSOULTLEY NASTY. BUT AFTER
CHANGING ALL THAT THE LIGHT POPPED UP AGAIN AND THE DIAGNOSTIC SAID IT WAS
STILL A EGR FLOW PROBLEM. WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX MY VEHICLE SO I CAN GET
BETTER GAS MILEAGE AND BETTER POWER. THANK YOU FOR EVERYBODY WHO CAN GIVE
INFORMATION, OR TO ANYBODY WHO SIMPLY READ THIS LIFE STORY OF MY PIECE OF
**** VEHICLE.

Old November 16th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
gordo

"francis_m_ferris via CarKB.com" <u29129@uwe> wrote in message
>I HAVE A 1997 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 LITER V6 OHV. I AM ONLY ONLY GETTING 200
> MILES TO THE FULL TANK AND IT SEEMS THAT I AM LACKING POWER. I TOOK MY
> VEHICLE TO AUTO ZONE AND THEY TOLD ME I HAD A EGR PROBLEM. I THEN TOOK MY
> VEHICLE TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP AND THEY TOLD ME I HAD A DISCONTECTED WIRE.
> THEY CHARGED ME 70DOLLARS AND SAID MY VEHICLE WAS GOOD. THEN 5 MILES DOWN
> THE ROAD, MY LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN. I WENT BACK TO AUTOZONE AND THEY TOLD
> ME
> AGAIN IT WAS MY EGR SYSTEM FLOW. I GOT TO THE POINT WHERE I BELIEVED AUTO
> ZONE MORE THEN I BELIEVED FORD. SO I CHANGED MY EGR VALVE, ALL FILTERS,
> ALL
> FLUIDS FLUSHED AND CHANGED. THE EGR VALVE WAS ABSOULTLEY NASTY. BUT
> AFTER
> CHANGING ALL THAT THE LIGHT POPPED UP AGAIN AND THE DIAGNOSTIC SAID IT WAS
> STILL A EGR FLOW PROBLEM. WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX MY VEHICLE SO I CAN GET
> BETTER GAS MILEAGE AND BETTER POWER. THANK YOU FOR EVERYBODY WHO CAN GIVE
> INFORMATION, OR TO ANYBODY WHO SIMPLY READ THIS LIFE STORY OF MY PIECE OF
> **** VEHICLE.

You probably still have the old code saved from before you did the egr work.

Old November 16th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Or... and I hate to pander to carkb.... he could post what code it is that
AZ is finding.... Chances are that it is a P0404 or a P0401 (there are a
couple of others that I can't recall off hand, too). If this is so, the
usual culprit will be the DPFE sensor....

If AZ cleared this code, there is the chance that it may not have returned
by the time the dealer was visited (nothing like a trip to AZ to help "hide
the evidence"). There is the chance that the dealer is innocent of any wrong
doing in a case like this (not to mention much depends on how the concern
was explaioned to the service writer....

If all else fails, the original poster could learn how to use his ****ing
"capslock" key....

Old November 16th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
francis_m_ferris via CarKB.com

Actually, Jim Warman, I did have them reset the codes and it poped up again.
And as far as me leaving the "cap lock" button on, sorry it hurt your
feelings that bad. I just got done with a surgery and have been on percocet
for a while while I have been working on my vehicle. So sorry i never
noticed.

Old November 16th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

And, in your righteous indignation, did we pass the mention of a "pattern
failure"? A pattern failure that has been talked about both on usenet
(where this reply originates) and, quite probably, Carkb? A pattern failure
that drove Ford to release a TSB explaining a new "streamlined" diagnostic
for the DTCs I mentioned...

FWIW, my wife just had her gall bladder removed two weeks and ....since she
has had Crohns disease for about 35 years and has undergone many bowel
resections, an ileostomy gone bad, another ileostomy, a reversal and even
more bowel resections... it could not be done endoscopically. I constantly
have to remind her not to overdo it because she doesn't use her condition as
a crutch. Is there some reason to bring this into the conversation? Does it
alter any facts? No... we all have our crosses to bear... Do like my loving
bride.... grit your teeth and get on with it....

However, you would rather view my suggestions as some kind of personal
attack and totalyy disregard that you stand about a 90% chance that , sight
unseen, I have gotten you closer to fixing your car than any other misguided
notions that you have expressed or encountered....

What a curious way of saying "thank you"....

Old November 16th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
francis_m_ferris via CarKB.com

Well thank you Jim, your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old November 16th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
francis_m_ferris via CarKB.com

the code that came up was 0401. Its says insufficient air flow EGR.

Old November 17th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

A buck 85 says it's the DPFE sensor... This is a three wire sensor with two
hoses going to the bottom of it... Ford did extend the warranty period on
it (sadly, your 97 is well beyond the extension) and, at the same time
streamlined the diagnostic process (scan tool or DMM required as well as a
vacuum pump) to "replace the sensor and diagnose if the concern returns"....

HTH

Old November 17th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
francis_m_ferris via CarKB.com

Well, ill give it a shot and see what happens. Thank you

Old November 18th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
francis_m_ferris via CarKB.com

Well, I replaced the EGR Valve, The DPFE sensor and all the hoses. So far so
good. Thank you all.