Used Lexus GS300 mileage question

Old April 11th 05, 06:15 PM

Default Used Lexus GS300 mileage question

My budget will allow me to get a 1994 or 1995 Lexus GS300. The only
thing is most of them are falling in the 125,000 to 175,000 mileage
range. Having never owned a Lexus before but knowing of their stellar
reliability reputation, will a car with that many miles still be a
reliable car? How many miles, on average, is a Lexus engine be good
for?

Thanks

Old April 12th 05, 02:10 PM
sdlomi2

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My budget will allow me to get a 1994 or 1995 Lexus GS300. The only
> thing is most of them are falling in the 125,000 to 175,000 mileage
> range. Having never owned a Lexus before but knowing of their stellar
> reliability reputation, will a car with that many miles still be a
> reliable car? How many miles, on average, is a Lexus engine be good
> for?
>
> Thanks

Do some careful investigation, maybe Google. Somewhere near those
years, Lexus made engines in 2 diff. plants. Put same owner's manuals in
them. One engine designed for oil-changes each 3000 miles; other one each
7500 miles. The manual used in all showed the 7500-mile interval. You can
guess the rest of the story. But, some lucky original owners did get their
engines completely rebuilt at Lexus' expense--even with well over 100,000
miles on them. HTH & good luck. s

Old April 12th 05, 05:17 PM
Geoff Miller

sdlomi2 > writes:

> Somewhere near those years, Lexus made engines in 2 diff. plants.
> Put same owner's manuals in them. One engine designed for oil-
> changes each 3000 miles; other one each 7500 miles.

What specific design changes can be made to an engine to lengthen
its oil-change interval? I'd think that how often oil should be
changed was a function of driving conditions and the chemicala
properties of oil (i.e., how quickly it breaks down), not of
engine design.

Geoff

--
"Yah-hah, evil spider woman! I have captured you by the short rabbits
and can now deliver you violently to your gynecologist for a thorough

Old April 12th 05, 06:53 PM
sdlomi2

"Geoff Miller" > wrote in message

> sdlomi2 > writes:
>
> > Somewhere near those years, Lexus made engines in 2 diff. plants.
> > Put same owner's manuals in them. One engine designed for oil-
> > changes each 3000 miles; other one each 7500 miles.

> What specific design changes can be made to an engine to lengthen
> its oil-change interval? I'd think that how often oil should be
> changed was a function of driving conditions and the chemicala
> properties of oil (i.e., how quickly it breaks down), not of
> engine design.
>

> Geoff
>
> --
> "Yah-hah, evil spider woman! I have captured you by the short rabbits
> and can now deliver you violently to your gynecologist for a thorough
> extermination."

That question/answer I'd hafta to defer to Lexus. Got my curiosity up
enuff I'm gonna do that very same thing myself--BTW: a friend of mine just
had his Lexus (suv?) engine done by Lexus under those circumstances--almost
140, 000 miles! s

Old April 12th 05, 08:44 PM
PSCSACE

great - thanks for the tip. I'll check into it for sure...

Old April 13th 05, 11:36 AM
C. E. White

Geoff Miller wrote:

> sdlomi2 > writes:
>
> > Somewhere near those years, Lexus made engines in 2 diff. plants.
> > Put same owner's manuals in them. One engine designed for oil-
> > changes each 3000 miles; other one each 7500 miles.

> What specific design changes can be made to an engine to lengthen
> its oil-change interval? I'd think that how often oil should be
> changed was a function of driving conditions and the chemicala
> properties of oil (i.e., how quickly it breaks down), not of
> engine design.
>
> Geoff

Anything that keeps the oil cooler (not cold) will help
lenghten its life. Anything that reduces high pressure
sliding contacts will reduce the need for high performance
oil and put less strain on the oil (less shearing of the
molecules). Hot spots in engines can cook oil, leading to
break down. Engines that that suffer from excessive blow-by
contaminate oil, and reduce it's life.

Ed
Old April 13th 05, 11:56 AM
sdlomi2

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> Geoff Miller wrote:
> >
> > sdlomi2 > writes:
> >
> > > Somewhere near those years, Lexus made engines in 2 diff. plants.
> > > Put same owner's manuals in them. One engine designed for oil-
> > > changes each 3000 miles; other one each 7500 miles.

> > What specific design changes can be made to an engine to lengthen
> > its oil-change interval? I'd think that how often oil should be
> > changed was a function of driving conditions and the chemicala
> > properties of oil (i.e., how quickly it breaks down), not of
> > engine design.
> >
> > Geoff

> Anything that keeps the oil cooler (not cold) will help
> lenghten its life. Anything that reduces high pressure
> sliding contacts will reduce the need for high performance
> oil and put less strain on the oil (less shearing of the
> molecules). Hot spots in engines can cook oil, leading to
> break down. Engines that that suffer from excessive blow-by
> contaminate oil, and reduce it's life.
>
> Ed

Thx, Ed, for answering Geoff's question with excellent answers. Sorry,
Geoff, for misunderstanding your question as a possible attempt to discredit
my information. MY BAD!
Ed a couple of other things to be added: oil that's too cold(you
touched on this & I'm merely expounding; & diminishing marginal returns
enter in, as we all know) doesn't clean as well as hot oil, kinda like
soap-&-water, so engines that warm up faster should help here(different
exhaust=diff. warm-up time). I worked for GM in Flint, & know how different
plants can use different sources--& hence parts & part #'s--for supplying
parts: even different oil pumps could feasibly be used; & we all know how
merely having a stronger spring in the pump can alter the pressure and/or
volume it delivers. So many variables and so little time!(...borrowed from
Churchill's supposed remark about strong drink...) Good group here, guys.

Old April 13th 05, 06:53 PM
Geoff Miller

sdlomi2 > writes:

> Sorry, Geoff, for misunderstanding your question as a possible
> attempt to discredit my information. MY BAD!

No problem at all, although I'm a little surprised that you inter-
preted my question that way. I'm honestly curious about things
that affect oil longevity. I've been thinking about this quite a
bit recently, having braced my wallet for a switch to Mobil 1.

Anyway, thanks to you and Ed for your answers.

Geoff

Old April 13th 05, 09:26 PM
sdlomi2

"Geoff Miller" > wrote in message

> sdlomi2 > writes:
>
> > Sorry, Geoff, for misunderstanding your question as a possible
> > attempt to discredit my information. MY BAD!

> No problem at all, although I'm a little surprised that you inter-
> preted my question that way.

Thx for the forgiveness--just my tendencies to not read well (real good
in math, tho' ), to be hyperactive, to be dulled by pain meds....enough
excuses to mention? You're a good guy, Geoff. And my excuses are all
genuine. Have a real good day and thx for not holding my bads against the
group! sam