How do I increase the water temp for winter

Old December 7th 04, 04:43 AM
Hola

Default How do I increase the water temp for winter

Hello,

I use to just replace the thermostat in my older GM cars for a 190 degree
but not sure how to increase the temp in my 96 Voyager 3.3L
Can it be done because it seems when the temp needle is in the middle after
warm up period its not all that hot.
I don't have the rear AC or heat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Old December 7th 04, 07:19 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

"Hola" > writes:

> I use to just replace the thermostat in my older GM cars for a 190 degree
> but not sure how to increase the temp in my 96 Voyager 3.3L
> Can it be done because it seems when the temp needle is in the middle after
> warm up period its not all that hot.
> I don't have the rear AC or heat.

I would expect that vehicle to already have a 195 degree thermostat.
Why do you feel that it's "not all that hot?" Are you talking about
the engine temp (as implied by the remark about the temp gauge) or the
heater?
Old December 7th 04, 07:19 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

Old December 7th 04, 02:52 PM
Mike

Sounds like something else going on. My 96 caravan 3.3 engine temp gauge
also sits right smack in the middle, using the original OEM thermostat, and
it pumps out lots of nice hot heat from the heater.

Maybe the heater core is partially blocked. I would also run the HVAC
calibration test - maybe the heat is not actually going to full hot when you
move the slider all the way to the right. You might also find a fault with
the heat control motor.

. ..

Old December 7th 04, 02:52 PM
Mike

Sounds like something else going on. My 96 caravan 3.3 engine temp gauge
also sits right smack in the middle, using the original OEM thermostat, and
it pumps out lots of nice hot heat from the heater.

Maybe the heater core is partially blocked. I would also run the HVAC
calibration test - maybe the heat is not actually going to full hot when you
move the slider all the way to the right. You might also find a fault with
the heat control motor.

. ..

Old December 7th 04, 11:52 PM
Hola

Its the heat is insufficient, as like what happened today, we had freezing
rain and I had it on defrost middle blower speed, temp gauge needle in
middle. It was ok at a stop light which would melt the freezing rain but as
soon as I start driving the freezing rain starts clogging on the windshield.
I would think the heat should be strong enough to keep the freezing rain
from freezing while driving.
I bought the 96 Voyager used from a dealer, and by the maintenance records
it looks well taken care of by a dealer etc... I have not check to see what
temp thermostat is there. How about the electric cooling fans, at what
engine temp do they turn on?

Thanks,

Greg

Old December 7th 04, 11:52 PM
Hola

Old December 8th 04, 12:46 AM
frank-in-toronto

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:52:16 -0500, "Hola" >
wrote:

>Its the heat is insufficient,

put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad.
....thehick