Your cellphone is killing 2,600 per year

Old February 2nd 05, 09:39 PM
BE

Default Your cellphone is killing 2,600 per year

Your cellphone is killing 2,600 per year, well ok not YOUR cellphone, but
folks using cellphones. from http://tinyurl.com/6yeam

Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the
United States every year, according to the journal's publisher, the Human
Factors and Ergonomics Society.

Drivers talking on cell phones were 18 percent slower to react to brake
lights, the new study found. In a minor bright note, they also kept a 12
percent greater following distance. But they also took 17 percent longer to
regain the speed they lost when they braked. That frustrates everyone.

"If you put a 20-year-old driver behind the wheel with a cell phone, their
reaction times are the same as a 70-year-old driver who is not using a cell
phone," said University of Utah psychology professor David Strayer. "It's
like instantly aging a large number of drivers."

"Once drivers on cell phones hit the brakes, it takes them longer to get
back into the normal flow of traffic," Strayer said. "The net result is they
are impeding the overall flow of traffic."

Accurate reporting ?

Old February 2nd 05, 09:45 PM
Bernard farquart

"BE" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Your cellphone is killing 2,600 per year, well ok not YOUR cellphone, but
> folks using cellphones. from http://tinyurl.com/6yeam

Well, not MY cellphone, according to this part:
The latest study used high-tech simulators. It included people aged 18 to 25
and another group aged 65 to 74. Elderly drivers were slower to react when
talking on the phone, too.

Since I am 38, I must be able to talk and

drive just fine.

Bernard

Old February 3rd 05, 01:10 AM
Jim Yanik

"Bernard farquart" > wrote in

> "BE" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> Your cellphone is killing 2,600 per year, well ok not YOUR cellphone,
>> but folks using cellphones. from http://tinyurl.com/6yeam

> Well, not MY cellphone, according to this part:
> The latest study used high-tech simulators. It included people aged 18
> to 25 and another group aged 65 to 74. Elderly drivers were slower to
> react when talking on the phone, too.
>

> Since I am 38, I must be able to talk and drive just fine.

Of course,that is not necessarily true.
Doing anything else besides driving requires -some- of your attention.
Some tasks require more attention than others,same as multi-tasking on a
computer.

;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old February 3rd 05, 01:34 AM
Bernard farquart

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message

>> Since I am 38, I must be able to talk and drive just fine.
>>

> Of course,that is not necessarily true.
> Doing anything else besides driving requires -some- of your attention.
> Some tasks require more attention than others,same as multi-tasking on a
> computer.
>
> ;-)

Your sarcasm meter may be in need of
an adjustment.

Old February 3rd 05, 07:35 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

2,600 a year?. Isn't that the same as the WTC death toll? So
shouldn't we call cell phone drivers, terrorists???

Old February 3rd 05, 08:22 AM

Yup, just like we should call close-minded dimocrates traitors.

Did ya see Laura Bush last night? Doesn't she make a wonderful first
lady?

Old February 3rd 05, 08:51 AM

By the way, fool, as usual you're off base. 2,600 is not the same as
the WTC death toll. Your ignorance isn't much of a news flash, though,
as it's obvious you can't tell the difference between 6 & 60.

Old February 3rd 05, 10:46 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:39:54 GMT, "BE" > wrote:

>Your cellphone is killing 2,600 per year, well ok not YOUR cellphone, but
>folks using cellphones. from http://tinyurl.com/6yeam

I don't find an article that starts out with "Finally, empirical proof
you can blame chatty 20-somethings for stop-and-go traffic on the way
to work" very credible.

>Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the
>United States every year, according to the journal's publisher, the Human
>Factors and Ergonomics Society.

Notice they didn't tell you how they came up with this number. It's
an estimate based on a whole bunch of assumptions.

Old February 4th 05, 12:12 AM
TCS

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:46:22 -0700, Olaf Gustafson > wrote:
>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:39:54 GMT, "BE" > wrote:

>>Your cellphone is killing 2,600 per year, well ok not YOUR cellphone, but
>>folks using cellphones. from http://tinyurl.com/6yeam
>>

>I don't find an article that starts out with "Finally, empirical proof
>you can blame chatty 20-somethings for stop-and-go traffic on the way
>to work" very credible.

>>Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the
>>United States every year, according to the journal's publisher, the Human
>>Factors and Ergonomics Society.

>Notice they didn't tell you how they came up with this number. It's
>an estimate based on a whole bunch of assumptions.

Are they still using the correlation between having an accident and
using a cell phone where they haven't ruled out those people who only
used their phone to dial 911 after the accident?

Old February 4th 05, 01:03 AM
Olaf Gustafson

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:12:33 -0600, TCS
> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:46:22 -0700, Olaf Gustafson > wrote:
>>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:39:54 GMT, "BE" > wrote:

>>>Your cellphone is killing 2,600 per year, well ok not YOUR cellphone, but
>>>folks using cellphones. from http://tinyurl.com/6yeam
>>>

>>I don't find an article that starts out with "Finally, empirical proof
>>you can blame chatty 20-somethings for stop-and-go traffic on the way
>>to work" very credible.

>>>Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the
>>>United States every year, according to the journal's publisher, the Human
>>>Factors and Ergonomics Society.

>>Notice they didn't tell you how they came up with this number. It's
>>an estimate based on a whole bunch of assumptions.

>Are they still using the correlation between having an accident and
>using a cell phone where they haven't ruled out those people who only
>used their phone to dial 911 after the accident?

Could be worse - they could be checking the number of people who
possessed a cell phone when they had an accident.

number of Corvettes made every single year SkyhawkXP Corvette 5 February 1st 05 09:25 PM
What year was it made? Boffer 4x4 0 December 18th 04 09:19 PM
Car of the Year Dan Larsen Chrysler 40 November 30th 04 06:50 PM
Ok...I've got a little over a year to think this one over... Anthony Mazda 9 October 13th 04 04:15 AM