6 Cyl Economy as bad as 8!

Old January 22nd 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Daniel David Palmer[_2_]

Default 6 Cyl Economy as bad as 8!

I am thinking about buying a new Mountaineer to replace my 2003
Mountaineer. I currently have the V8 that gets...surprise
surprise....13MPG around town and 19 on the road, exactly what the new
"real world" sticker rating estimates on new Mountaineers. I noticed
that the 6 cylinder doesn't get any better mileage. Why is that? Why buy
one? Why does Ford even MAKE one if it can't offer better fuel economy
with the reduced power?
Old January 22nd 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_1_]

"Daniel David Palmer" > wrote in message
. ..
>I am thinking about buying a new Mountaineer to replace my 2003
>Mountaineer. I currently have the V8 that gets...surprise
>surprise....13MPG around town and 19 on the road, exactly what the
>new "real world" sticker rating estimates on new Mountaineers. I
>noticed that the 6 cylinder doesn't get any better mileage. Why is
>that? Why buy one? Why does Ford even MAKE one if it can't offer
>better fuel economy with the reduced power?

Because they can sell the V6 version for less. There is very little
difference is weight between the V6 and the V8. The driving cycle used
by the EPA has tightly defined acceleration rates and speeds. There is
not much difference in engine efficiency, so there really should not
be much difference in fuel economy. I would expect the V8 to have
better acceleration, and if you take advantage of that, you will get
worse fuel economy.

Ed

Old January 22nd 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
trailer

When I purchased my 2000 Explorer new, I opted for the V8. The economy has
been pretty good, about 13-15 around town and 18-23 on highway.

I guess they discontinued that V8 (5.0), but if I get another new one I
wouldn't hesitate to get the v8.

Old August 18th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
taz

Is 2000 a good yr for the Explorer?I would buy newer(used) but what I have
read doesnt sound encouraging.I would also like a v-8..

Fuel Economy Richard Wilkinson BMW 17 December 4th 06 06:59 AM
Economy vs. speed perry lee BMW 22 July 16th 06 02:16 AM
Which gear for economy? Harry K Driving 16 September 27th 05 05:07 AM
Fuel Economy CagedMonkees General 3 May 11th 05 06:28 PM
166 Fuel Economy Jon Alfa Romeo 11 August 29th 04 09:07 PM