Find Quickest Route with GPS and Save Gas

Old August 21st 08, 09:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
virig[_2_] virig[_2_] is offline
Banned

Default Find Quickest Route with GPS and Save Gas

Better to ask your GPS for the quickest route.
http://gadgetupdates.googlepages.com...lp_save_on_gas
Old August 22nd 08, 09:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Ummmm..... I've spent over 20 years in the town where I now reside.... If I
need a GPS to go to work... or the liquor store.... or to my friends
house.... My problems run deeper than needing a GPS.....

I'm beginning to wonder if the new generations will need GPS to tell them
where the Charmin goes?

If you are a stranger in a strange land.... The best way to become familiar
with where you live is to get lost a few times....

Stop and smell the roses before it is too late.

Old August 22nd 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie[_6_]

> Ummmm..... I've spent over 20 years in the town where I now reside.... If
> I need a GPS to go to work... or the liquor store.... or to my friends
> house.... My problems run deeper than needing a GPS.....
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if the new generations will need GPS to tell them
> where the Charmin goes?
>
> If you are a stranger in a strange land.... The best way to become
> familiar with where you live is to get lost a few times....
>
> Stop and smell the roses before it is too late.
>
> "virig" > wrote in message
>> Better to ask your GPS for the quickest route.
>> http://gadgetupdates.googlepages.com...lp_save_on_gas

I generally agreed with the above comments until a neighbor made a point.
We live about 20 miles from the area devastated by hurricane Charley.
People trying to find their old homes were stymied by the fact that all the
street signs had been blown away and so had many of the landmarks.

I still do not own a GPS unit but it gets tempting some times.

BTW my usual technique when preparing to travel in an unfamiliar area is to
go to Google Earth and print a picture of the area involved.
The ability to pick out landmarks provides handy guidance.

Charlie

Old August 22nd 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Esteban

Have any of you considered using a map, or perhaps an atlas? If you are
traveling to a small town and need directions to an address that is not on
the map, check with the nice clerk in the convience store. It's a shame we
no longer have gas stations to supply us with directions.
Steve

Old August 23rd 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Most towns and cities have a "visitors bureau" or a "tourist bureau" or a
town hall.... Any of these 'should' be interested in bringing or welcoming
visitors into the community. With the internet, there should be no problem
with one of these entities helping you out..... Maps, directions..... If you
are a HOG (Harley Owners Group) member, you can often find someone that will
lead you to where you are going.... If you belong to a car club (no, not the
street racing wieners club.... I talking like Alberta Motor Association or
an equivalent.... ) They can give you all the info and routes you need....

Think about the act of discovery.... I have found some of my favourite
places when I thought I was lost..... If I am going somewhere I've never
been, I want to drink in as much of that place as I can.... I'm 58, I work
10 or more hours a day.... if I find an opportunity to smell a rose or two
(or even a dandelion), I take it.

As far as natural disasters.... I can't speak for how much effort most put
into their lives.... I currently live in northern Alberta.... I've been an
Albertan since about 1967. In the late 50s and early 60s. I lived on a
thriving army base..... All that remains to this day, are a few asphalt
threads weaving through the trees and weeds next to Boundary Bay Airport (
http://troywoodintarsia.com/vws/vws2000a.htm ). It's been way over 40 years
since I was last there.... and I can point to where our house used to be....

Sometimes we feel we need a device... whan all we need is some thought.