How reliable are the later model Explorers?

Old August 18th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
taz

Default How reliable are the later model Explorers?

I have read of problems with 4.6 liter and 5.4 liter engines expelling spark
plugs because of not enough thread in the aluminum.I have heard of problems
with the 5 speed autos.I have read that the ball joints go out with
frequency.I have read of rear end independent suspensions leaking. I want a
base model 2wd 4.6 liter or even a 5.o liter explorer 4 door for my wife to
get rid of her E-150 5.o liter gas hog conversion van.What years are a good
safe bet reliability-wise for this vehicle?What yr did they put a 4R70W in
these vehicles as I understand that was a tough trans?

Old August 19th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
SF-East Bay'r

Mine have been very reliable. I have had '96, '98, '01, and '07 Explorers
and a 2004 Mountaineer.
No problems with any of them.
Tom

Old August 19th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
taz

which is your overall favorite?

Old August 20th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Kenneth J. Harris

I still have a 98 Mountaineer 4 Liter V6 with 5 speed auto, which has
been very reliable so we keep it as a second car. But, I have to say
with all the problems you have read about, why would you want to get an
Explorer at all?

Old August 20th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
SF-East Bay'r

Have you found other newgroups about particular models that have no postings
because there are no problems?
Tom

Old August 20th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
trailer[_2_]

had a 2000 Limited, purchased new.

during the first 3 years I had numerous problems; nothing major, mostly
small irritating stuff. add to this the recalls- Firestone tires, brake
fires, rollovers, etc., and I don't think I would buy another one. However,
once the problems settled down, it was a pretty good car.

Old August 21st 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
taz

Too scared to buy a chevy or dodge, I like Fords and havent had a newer
than early 1990's vehicle.I also want something I can maintain myself.

Old August 21st 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mikepier

Original owner of 99 XLT, SOHC V6, 74,000 miles. Nothing to complain
about.
Old August 22nd 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
SF-East Bay'r

No particular favorites.They all kind of blend together. I did some off-road
driving with the '96 Sport including some rock filled river beds and it held
up well. The '96, '01 and '07 were(are) 4WD. All the 4WD Explorers have
driven in the snow around Lake Tahoe and mild off-road stuff in California.
All held up well.
Tom

m...