alfa 147 rattle on cold start

Old January 11th 05, 11:34 PM
rk

Default alfa 147 rattle on cold start

Hi,

I have a 2003 147 2.0 T.Spark manual which has covered 7k miles. I have
recently noticed that when I start it up from cold I get a
rattling/tapping noise from the engine. This normally goes away once the
engine has warmed up. Anyone had any experience of this who could shed
some light on what it might be and how serious?

This sounds similar to the variator problem that was apparent on older
Twin Spark engines, but I thought that was fixed on the later models.

In addition to this I have been experiencing problems with the steering
wheel radio buttons, I find that when I press the 'up' button to jump to
the next station/track, the action performed is the same as pressing the
'src' button, so it jumps to the next band or switches source. Any info
on this would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance

rk
Old January 12th 05, 05:37 PM
Alfistagj

How long does it take for the rattle to go away?

"rk" > schreef in bericht

Old January 12th 05, 06:26 PM
rk

Approx 5 mins or so.

Old January 13th 05, 03:23 PM
Alfistagj

Are you sure you have enough engine oil in the sump??
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"rk" > schreef in bericht

Old January 13th 05, 07:37 PM
rk

Yes, I check the oil weekly and the level has always been just a tiny
amount below MAX.

Old January 13th 05, 09:00 PM
Alfistagj

Then it isn't the hydralic tappets.
Sounds like the variator, but not very likely anymore since Alfa solved this
problem already a few years ago and you do not really have a lot of miles,
so "wear" is unlikely too.
An occasional defect is always possible.
I suggest to check with your dealer and claim guarantee if it's the
variator.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
Alfa red 156 SW 1.8 Madeno tuned (2000) (soon: GT 2.0JTS)
Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

"rk" > schreef in bericht
> Yes, I check the oil weekly and the level has always been just a tiny
> amount below MAX.
>

> Alfistagj wrote:
>> Are you sure you have enough engine oil in the sump??

Alfa Manuals and Other Literature For Sale evanwilson Alfa Romeo 1 April 2nd 14 01:27 PM
alfa 156 start problems hmspilky Alfa Romeo 13 January 7th 05 10:06 PM
alfa gt vs alfa 147 suspension Pete Alfa Romeo 1 July 17th 04 08:09 PM
Alfa 156 1.8 rattle Ypnos Alfa Romeo 2 June 27th 04 07:13 PM
Giulietta e Nuova 147 Plug-in Bourne Alfa Romeo 0 May 13th 04 01:16 PM