HELP!! 94 LeBaron Convertible is overheating BAD!

Old July 29th 05, 12:51 AM
SMoo

Just an update...

The water pump was, in fact, bad. I had it replaced and all is well!

I had them replace the timing chain as well. Since I only have around
130,000 miles, it wasn't QUITE time to do it. But, better to do it while
it's all apart, instead of paying for double the work.

They said that the water pipe coming from the block looks better than most
of the cars that come through. Could that be because I use distilled water
in my coolant?

Old July 29th 05, 01:37 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

SMoo wrote:

> Just an update...

> The water pump was, in fact, bad. I had it replaced and all is well!

> I had them replace the timing chain as well. Since I only have around
> 130,000 miles, it wasn't QUITE time to do it. But, better to do it while
> it's all apart, instead of paying for double the work.

> They said that the water pipe coming from the block looks better than most
> of the cars that come through. Could that be because I use distilled water
> in my coolant?

if you live in an area that has excessively hard water then yes,
using distilled water is a good idea. Also, if you have a
water softener you definitely want to do this since water softners
work by replacing the minerals with sodium (that is why you have to
keep dumping rock salt into them) which is not something that you
want to put into your coolant.

Also, coolant has anti-rust additives, and if you don't change it
every couple of years, those additives get used up. The coolant may
look OK and still test out good with a hydrometer, but not have
any rust-preventatives left in it.

Ted

Old July 29th 05, 10:01 PM
Matt Whiting

SMoo wrote:

> Just an update...
>
> The water pump was, in fact, bad. I had it replaced and all is well!
>
> I had them replace the timing chain as well. Since I only have around
> 130,000 miles, it wasn't QUITE time to do it. But, better to do it while
> it's all apart, instead of paying for double the work.
>
> They said that the water pipe coming from the block looks better than most
> of the cars that come through. Could that be because I use distilled water
> in my coolant?

Could be as distilled water is what you are supposed to mix with the
coolant. Have you changed your coolant and flushed the cooling system
per the maintenance schedule in your OM?

Matt
Old July 30th 05, 03:06 PM
SMoo

Yes, I've done it twice now.

Each refill I've used distilled water...

Old July 30th 05, 06:50 PM
Matt Whiting

SMoo wrote:
> Yes, I've done it twice now.
>
> Each refill I've used distilled water...

Then I'm not surprised at all that the coolant passages are pretty
clean. I maintain my 1996 GV much the same and its still on its
original radiator, heater core, etc. with 169,000 miles on it and when
ever I change the hoses the internals still look pretty good.

Matt