Overheated

Old July 10th 05, 09:04 PM
griffin

Default Overheated

I took my '85 CJ7 (4cyl) out for a highway run for a few minutes and the
following happened:

1. I couldn't get it above 80km an hour. I know Jeeps aren't fast but prior
to my timing chain/electrical/timing issues, I could at least get it up to a
little over 100. I'm guessing it's just still not timed 100% correctly?

2. It overheated pretty badly. The gauge on the dash didn't register it as
having overheated but I could smell it and when I got home, there was smoke
coming off the block. The oil and rad fluid are at the normal levels. My dad
is guessing either the thermostat or water pump (there is a small leak on
the pump, too). Anything else to test here?

During the fixes the following were replaced/done:

1. timing chain/sprockets
2. ignition coil
3. plugs/wires/cap/rotor
4. Nutter bypass

Thanks!

Old July 10th 05, 11:28 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Overheating and less power are symptoms of a retarded spark, your
harmonic balancer may have spun in it's rubber mount. Try timing it my
hear, for best idle.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 11th 05, 03:31 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

I absolutely agree. try turning the timing up until you start getting
detonation/pinging when you floor it, then back it off until it stops, then
maybe even go back another one or two degrees. This is probably going to
be farther advanced than you want, but then test drive it under normal
driving conditions and see if the overheating goes away. are you sure you
had the right plug wire when you set the initial timing?

Old July 11th 05, 03:33 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

you could also have air trapped in the system. did you run the heater when
you filled it? I'm just thinking that because your temp gauge didn't react.

Old July 11th 05, 02:33 PM
Mike Romain

Ouch.....

If the timing chain is off a tooth, it will act like that.

Did you verify the number of pins are right between the timing marks?

To do this, you put the chain and sprockets on with the sprocket timing
marks in a straight line with the shaft centers closest to each other.
Then you turn the engine until the cam timing mark comes up to the top,
stop and count the number of chain pins to the crank sprocket mark. On
the 4 banger you must have 20 pins to be correct.

Oh, smoke coming off the block after a timing job is pretty normal. it
is all the fluids and grease just burning off.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's